Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:02 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,586,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Turn it off.
Turn the volume to 0
Select a non existent device for the input and make sure you don't plug in a device.

So even if it's turned on the volume is at 0 and the device for it to work is not connected.

It can also be done via coding some scripts but that's for people that know what they are doing.
That's how I disabled my built in camera.
if someone has been trojan-horsed (via chromium or similar):
Quote:
man amixer
amixer -c 1 sset Line,0 80%,40% unmute cap
will set the second soundcard's left line input volume to 80% and right line input to 40%, unmute it,
and select it as a source for capture (recording).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 09:05 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,160,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Am I being naive, or is it realistic to assume that anything/everything you do on a computer which is one way or another hooked to the web, is public information? I Have always just assumed that every key stroke, every conversation, every image/picture/camera is put into the public domain (I don't mean that in a legal sense) once I type on my computer which is linked through an ISP. My behavior has always been to believe that NOTHING i do on my computer is secure from anyone who wishes to observe/record/whatever my behavior for whatever reason.
They're not talking about things you do on your computer. They're talking about conversations you have while standing near your computer. Being secretly recorded. Which is totally next level.

I wonder if companies will start holding their "trade secrets" meetings in remote meadows and woods, eventually?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:12 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,160,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
That's why I try not to get new computers, or get the most no-frills ones I can find.
I just decided that my 2008 PC is going to have to last me a very long time.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:39 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,630,631 times
i had wondered why they dropped their 'don't be evil' schtick.

Google pulls listening software from Chromium | Technology | The Guardian

Old 06-25-2015, 09:53 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,586,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
EXACTLY! Was it Dateline or 60 Minutes that had the episode warning us to close our laptops when finished because everything in the viewing area could be seen,and heard.
this is why i put electrical tape covering my work laptop lens:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbin...chool_District
Quote:
Just as everything can be heard around our cell phones,even when they are turned off!
thats actually a feature of Android Lost so you can remotely record the thief who stole your fone.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,948,772 times
I do not have built in mics or cameras on my computer. I keep my phone in a case with it's cover closed. I'm a boring person, not sure who would want to spy on me, but unlike what many of the conspiracy theorists will tell you, there is no program that can turn on a mic that isn't plugged into the tower, or a camera that isn't there. Just sayin'

Old 06-25-2015, 02:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 940,047 times
Like my blessed mom once remarked on this topic

If you're gonna listen, listen real hard
If you're gonna look, get a good look

Not sure that saying originated with her but boy could she deliver it.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:29 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,236,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Its real simple to defeat this.

Don't use Google, Facebook etc.

Physically disable (cut wires) for all built in mics and cameras and only use ones you can connect when in use.

Use linux, and only use windows to use the few application/games you may need to it for.

Move your DNS server to Opendns

Rent a vps (preferably in another country) and setup a proxy and a vpn.

Setup 2 browsers

Disable javascript and cookies etc in one and fully route it to the proxy and setup the proxy to randomize your browser headers to different versions, plug-in versions etc.

Use the proxy for everything you can. When you need it you can open the second browser to connect straight and use javascript, cookies etc.

Never log in to anything connected with your real person through your proxy

Of course don't use Chrome.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:08 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,043,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I find it hard to believe that people dont realize that Google, Facebook, etc main source of income is the data they collect and that greed would drive them to do anything to collect any type of data from you. I don't think its really that big of a revelation that Google has been listening.

Its real simple to defeat this.

Don't use Google, Facebook etc.

If you wanna go all out then......

Physically disable (cut wires) for all built in mics and cameras and only use ones you can connect when in use.

Use linux, and only use windows to use the few application/games you may need to it for.

Move your DNS server to Opendns

Rent a vps (preferably in another country) and setup a proxy and a vpn.

Setup 2 browsers

Disable javascript and cookies etc in one and fully route it to the proxy and setup the proxy to randomize your browser headers to different versions, plug-in versions etc.

Use the proxy for everything you can. When you need it you can open the second browser to connect straight and use javascript, cookies etc.

Never log in to anything connected with your real person through your proxy

Of course don't use Chrome.
Not real clear here but I meant to add this crucial line in bold. For the paranoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well that IS real simple! Why didn't I think of that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post

Old 06-25-2015, 11:16 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,224,167 times
Quote:
Did you not notice~"capable of listening in on conversations held in front of a computer." They are not listening to you typing!
Let them listen to me. Let them watch what I type. Let's see how long they can stand to be THAT bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events