Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:30 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,856,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Assuming the fear is warranted regarding a program Google(or anyone paying Google) can use to listen to peoples conversations, how likely is turning off your mic setting going to stop them?

Another words if they have a sophisticated program installed on your CPU for spying purposes, a command to turn on a mic is likely going to be part of the program.
Wouldn't you think?

`

EXACTLY! Was it Dateline or 60 Minutes that had the episode warning us to close our laptops when finished because everything in the viewing area could be seen,and heard.

Just as everything can be heard around our cell phones,even when they are turned off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 07:03 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,049 times
This is true. When I'm watching television and I google something from the television, it pops up.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:36 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,175,658 times
I guess y'all could get some kind of Faraday cage for smartphones or other portable devices. That would give protection from eavesdropping and gps tracking while they're not being used, anyway. Here's one I just googled, dunno how well it works: http://www.amazon.com/FawkesBOX-iPho.../dp/B00QQUQTV2

Personally I wouldn't bother, since I know I'm already under complete surveillance from multiple devices, God only knows why. It seems to be quite a waste of money, so I'm guessing it might be that I've pissed off the feds somehow - who else has endless black ops money?

Old 06-24-2015, 11:08 PM

7,030 posts, read 4,910,217 times
I just don't talk to anyone while I'm on the computer and at night, I turn it off. Problem solved.

Well, I do call my mom on Skype. I hope Google enjoys recipes for chocolate chip cookies.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:54 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,935,668 times
I live alone the only thing they would hear besides talking to the dogs is me masturbating, oh god, oh god

Old 06-24-2015, 11:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,955,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
How many hours of "fapfapfapfapfapfap" can google really listen to and what do they seek to gain from that anyway?

ahahhahahahah

Old 06-25-2015, 12:24 AM

16,644 posts, read 8,649,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
This is true. When I'm watching television and I google something from the television, it pops up.
Now that might be something else all together. I know someone indirectly who created a program to where when you look something up, all sorts of related ads will then start to appear. He has made a fortune off of it, as it is a marketers dream.
While annoying, it is not the same type of thing being addressed in this thread.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,042,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
HappyTexan, I know it's hard to believe, but it doesn't matter what you do on your end. These spy programs are that sophisticated. They can play with volume, turn speakers on and off and basically do whatever they want remotely. You will have zero evidence on your end. You can readily find this info online. That is why some of us are this angry - the whole thing is ridiculous. I can see if they are spying on pedophiles or terrorists, but regular people?
I find it hard to believe that people dont realize that Google, Facebook, etc main source of income is the data they collect and that greed would drive them to do anything to collect any type of data from you. I don't think its really that big of a revelation that Google has been listening.

Its real simple to defeat this.

Don't use Google, Facebook etc.

Physically disable (cut wires) for all built in mics and cameras and only use ones you can connect when in use.

Use linux, and only use windows to use the few application/games you may need to it for.

Move your DNS server to Opendns

Rent a vps (preferably in another country) and setup a proxy and a vpn.

Setup 2 browsers

Disable javascript and cookies etc in one and fully route it to the proxy and setup the proxy to randomize your browser headers to different versions, plug-in versions etc.

Use the proxy for everything you can. When you need it you can open the second browser to connect straight and use javascript, cookies etc.

Never log in to anything connected with your real person through your proxy

Of course don't use Chrome.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:16 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Linux, Firefox & Thunderbird solves the Google spyware issue. Don't use Google services. Like the previous party said, don't use Facebook.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:23 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,856,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Linux, Firefox & Thunderbird solves the Google spyware issue. Don't use Google services. Like the previous party said, don't use Facebook.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.......that's me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events