Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 02:33 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,911,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
The symbol-bearers' intent was to destroy the United States. How is that not a symbol of hate?
To suceed from the United States represent many symbols - rebellion if you wish, treason, states rights, the constitution, freedom. It gets complex. But I see no defining quality of "hate" into it. For the average soldier, those terms of "hate" never factored in, as they in many cases were fighting a defensive battle on their own land. You can just as well say that they faught for "love" - love of there state, love of there land.

But such issues as why they fought are perhaps out of scope for this discussion. Needless to say, "hate"..or "love" is not a word I would use to describe as the one of the causes for the Civil War. The term is just not relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 02:33 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I never asked a question.
You are correct. Grammatically it was not a question. But my point remains.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:38 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,931,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This is why your comparison is flawed:

The Swastika was the national flag of the nazi party. The Iron Cross was the battle flag/symbol of the wermarcht and still used today.

The "stars and bars" was the national flag of the Confederate States of America. The "St. Andrews Cross" flag was uses as the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia and later the CSA, but should not be confused with the national flag.

I would not fly the swastika obviously. The German's have no problem with the Iron Cross while the swastika is outlawed from public display. I have no problem with the confederate battle flag, unfortunetly it's been adapted as a symbol of hatred by a minority of those ignorant about history. Regretfully we have allowed the feelings of a minority intent on hate to reflect on an symbol who's originall intention was anything but.
One solution is, instead of moving it to the underground, where it will make the problem worse, to embrace it, show it everywhere, teach about it, make it a topic of discusion...take it back from those that converted it to a symbol of hate.
Did you just finish up at the Hair-Splitters Convention?

This entire argument is ridiculous. An obtuse attempt to justify a symbol of hatred and divisiveness.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:42 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,911,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Did you just finish up at the Hair-Splitters Convention?

This entire argument is ridiculous. An obtuse attempt to justify a symbol of hatred and divisiveness.
Well your own argument is pretty darn obtuse as well - particularly since you have added absolutely no support in your counter-argument.
Is this really the best you can come up with?
I mean, really - man up. Just don't insult then leave like a wimp. You've been here for years like me, this is not how we work here in discussion. P&C forum, maybe, but not here.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:50 PM

13,439 posts, read 9,968,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
By that logic then, the Confederate Flag is a symbol of the CSA. Nothing more, nothing less.
And by that logic, a cross is just two pieces of wood tied together. Nothing more, nothing less.

But it's no longer that, is it?

Old 06-24-2015, 03:11 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,139,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Virginia just banned confederate license plates.
The DMV will no longer make them and residents have 6 months to turn them in.
This is good news! It's sad that it took innocent church goers getting killed to start the ball rolling on something that should have been addressed decades ago...

Old 06-24-2015, 03:21 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
And by that logic, a cross is just two pieces of wood tied together. Nothing more, nothing less. But it's no longer that, is it?
So then the point you made, you now admit, was meaningless. This is why I normally don't bother with your posts.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:21 PM

31,083 posts, read 22,117,738 times
Quote:
Maybe you don't know that it originated as an African American folk tune as a parody against slavery.
Well, they should be allowed to play it.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:26 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,332,033 times
Quote:
So then the point you made, you now admit, was meaningless. This is why I normally don't bother with your posts.

It is now the Governor of Alabama that you should be mad at.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:33 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I think people were upset and rightly so about the killings in Charleston. Our society today is always looking to blame someone or something when bad things happen. In this case the murderer affiliated himself with the Confederate battle flag. Then John Stewart, whom I generally like and respect, in his frustration, decided to target the Confederate flag as part of the problem. Then the media in general jumped on the band wagon, along with the politicians whose primary interest is TV face time and votes and this was a ticket to one or the other or both. Suddenly the Confederate flag is the root of all evil.

In the end, 4,000 years of world wide slavery and all the injustice associated with slavery is now distilled into hate focused on a few rebellious states that formed their own county and a flag that barely existed for 4 years.

Sometimes I wonder if the rest of the country hates the south so much,
why did you fight to keep us in the Union to start with? Why do you keep moving down here in droves if you think we are a bunch of backwoods, gun toting, racist, morons? Do you hear how stupid that sounds? The Civil War was 150 years ago. Get over old symbols and learn to face the fact that some times there are just bad people that do bad things to other people. Deal with them as they need to be dealt with and stop trying to put the blame on the short comings of today's society on symbols from ancient history.
Yeah, the Carolinas and Florida are full of Jersey retirees because everyone up here hates the south so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events