Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 08:01 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,666,373 times

Advertisements

It's because the media has yet to meet a tragedy that it couldn't exploit. Eliot Rodger became a symposium on patriarchy and misogyny, and now this shooting gives them a chance to harp on a symbol they don't like.

But can you blame them? It works like a charm. The media creates a talking point, and all the sheep follow right along. Last time it was a measles outbreak, which turned into a media obsession with people who don't vaccinate, and next thing you know everyone has an opinion on vaccinations, every illness is the fault of anti-vaxxers, and states start pushing new vaccine legislation. The media creates hysteria because it can. It's good for ratings, and it's so easy, since so many people are so easily led around by the nose, told by their TVs what they should and shouldn't care about. I mean, in a normal world, people would be a thousand times more outraged by the TPP fast-track vote than they would about a flag. But the media doesn't harp on it, so no one cares, because people are either too lazy or too stupid to do their own research and think for themselves.

But yes, the whole topic is absurd. A guy killed some people, so let's ban a flag! That'll stop racism right there!

It's a stupid, feel-good response that lets people pat themselves on the back for "caring" and "doing something," when in reality they're doing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:01 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,946,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Lol - right... Go on - show us all those folks you claim exist who fly the confederate flag on their own property who are NOT racists, bigots, or haters of "the government." We're waiting... and we'll be waiting a long time because you've got nothing.
Don't racist use this same thought process? "Show me a black person that isn't on drugs/food stamps/been in prison/lazy and unemployed"

Quote:
I wouldn't expect an ignorant troll like you to understand much of anything, but everyone with two brain cells to rub together knows full well what the rebel flag represents. I'll give you a hint - since you need it - it's not about "Southern pride" or fear of low cotton prices. It's about violence, revolt, and bigotry - and nothing more. The rebel flag is no different than the swastika, and I challenge you to prove otherwise. You can't, so instead you'll whine and moan like your kind do. Good luck with that.
And now you are attacking and calling me names. Are you this hate filled in real life?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:02 PM

73,062 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
If you believe some of the nuts around here, they'd claim that's just a coincidence and the flag really just represents good old honest 'merican living or some drek. Which is clearly why white supremacist groups use it, and it always comes up when racism against blacks is on the table - that, and violence against "the government" or anybody else the nuts don't like.
I don't buy what many people say. I've been told "it's southern heritage" over and over. I do the research for myself. The design itself might have had nothing to do with slavery. However, the cause itself was related to maintaining slavery. It is about the cause it represents. It is about the Confederacy.

If one really wanted to represent Southern heritage, why pick a symbol that represented a cause that was very bad?

Why Dylann Roof flew the Confederate flag, and burned a USA flag? He had hatred in his heart. He most likely believed that the South would have been better if the South had won. I think he believed that slavery should have continued.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Both are acts of violence. Some see one as getting undeserved attention over the other. It always time to talk about violence that affects thousands of women.
Yes, they are acts of violence. I know this. However, what does it have to do with this individual situation in Charleston, other than being an act of violence? And why pick a topic related to Charleston to discuss it?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes, they are acts of violence. I know this. However, what does it have to do with this individual situation in Charleston, other than being an act of violence? And why pick a topic related to Charleston to discuss it?
Maybe because that poster sees Charleston as getting more attention in one week than the other issue gets in a decade?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Who is they?

Many businesses have freely chosen not to see this merchandise. Not due to laws, just due to an objective business decision by each.

OP, What do you have against businesses acting in their own best interest?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Maybe because that poster sees Charleston as getting more attention in one week than the other issue gets in a decade?
The Charleston incident was an act of terrorism. Let's call it what it is. An individual sought out to start a race war. He sought out to go, and kill people explicitly based on their race. This has been the deadliest church shooting of the decade. His motive was very Hitleresque.

When the Boston Marathon Massacre took place, I didn't see many people complaining about it getting coverage. People were buying shirts saying "Boston Strong" on them. Why not allow the same treatment for this act of terror?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:13 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,514,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post

It's a stupid, feel-good response that lets people pat themselves on the back for "caring" and "doing something," when in reality they're doing nothing.
The focus on the flag and statues is a huge plus for white supremacists. You're right that removing flags is a feel-good, very nice symbolic gesture of overcoming. I expect it also creates a bunch of new Dylann Roof-types, while having no concrete impact on the safety, upward mobility, education, etc. of black people in SC or anywhere else.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:17 PM

13,438 posts, read 9,965,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So then the point you made, you now admit, was meaningless. This is why I normally don't bother with your posts.
Non comprehension on your part does not correlate to meaningless on mine.

The cross was once an apparatus used to hang people off of, now it's a symbol of Christianity.

The swastika was once a nice design, now it's a symbol of Nazis and has been co-opted by skinheads.

The confederate flag was once a battle flag, now, to many, it's a symbol of racism and oppression in Southern America.

There was once a point where all these things were ordinary, now they are not. There's a tipping point at which they become known for something over their original purpose. The confederate flag appears to be nearing this point. Whether that symbolism reaches the level of the cross or the swastika remains to be seen.

Regardless of whether you're a Christian, skinhead or a racist, or not, if you wear fly or otherwise display these symbols you do not remove the greater symbolism of said symbol depending on your individual proclivity, so your point that if you fly the flag and you're not a racist it's not a racist flag, is incorrect.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Charleston incident was an act of terrorism. Let's call it what it is. An individual sought out to start a race war. He sought out to go, and kill people explicitly based on their race. This has been the deadliest church shooting of the decade. His motive was very Hitleresque.

When the Boston Marathon Massacre took place, I didn't see many people complaining about it getting coverage. People were buying shirts saying "Boston Strong" on them. Why not allow the same treatment for this act of terror?
A 21 yr old with a gun mentioned in the same breathe as Hitler? Please.

And who's stopping people from rallying around the victims of this crime? I believe that poster would like to see "anti-rape strong" rallies to go along with Boston and Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events