Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's a symbol of treason
The American flag was a "symbol of treason" to the British. "Treason" is just a word that the winners pin on the losers.

Proof that people harping on this have no idea what they're talking about. The flag, like it or not, was a symbol of a nation that wanted to be free from another nation, just like the USA wanted to be free from Britain. It's only become a symbol of racism through revisionist history. Secession is not a dirty word -- all people have a right to self-determination. The problem is that people now conflate "secession" with "slavery," when in fact the two have nothing to do with each other.

I'd never fly that flag, but then I don't fly the American flag either. Why is no one up in arms about how the American flag is a symbol of racism, corporatism, exploitation, Manifest Destiny, imperialism, subjugation, violence, internments, killing, spying, intimidation, and destruction of the natives? Good heavens, there's been far more bloodshed and misery committed in the name of the American flag than there ever was in the name of the Confederate flag. The outrage is so wonderfully selective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:23 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The focus on the flag and statues is a huge plus for white supremacists. You're right that removing flags is a feel-good, very nice symbolic gesture of overcoming. I expect it also creates a bunch of new Dylann Roof-types, while having no concrete impact on the safety, upward mobility, education, etc. of black people in SC or anywhere else.
Focus on Zimmerman, focus on bad cops, focus on the flag...now you're getting very sleepy.

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Since nobody is proposing that flag be made illegal your argument is sort of pointless, isn't it?
It's not illegal. Some states are taking it down on state property. No one is coming to get your flags.

People can display them on their private property, cars, belt buckles where ever they want. Some retail stores have decided not to sell them. That's their choice.

And it's my choice to not want to associate with people who display it.

18,560 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Or like a scarlet letter. The rebel flag substitutes nicely for a bumper-sticker that says, "I'm an ignorant bigot who supports violence against people I don't like." All that - and more! - summed up in one neat flag!
Of course, only an ignorant bigot would write what you just wrote. Do you *really* believe what you wrote? Really?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

When the Boston Marathon Massacre took place, I didn't see many people complaining about it getting coverage. People were buying shirts saying "Boston Strong" on them. Why not allow the same treatment for this act of terror?
The difference between this shooting and the Boston bombing is that no one was trying to blame the bombing on an inanimate symbol that had nothing to do with the killings.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The confederate flag was once a battle flag, now, to many, it's a symbol of racism and oppression in Southern America.
And to others it's a symbol of freedom and self-government. And there is a good basis for that belief.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:26 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
A 21 yr old with a gun mentioned in the same breathe as Hitler? Please.

And who's stopping people from rallying around the victims of this crime? I believe that poster would like to see "anti-rape strong" rallies to go along with Boston and Charleston.
Hitler wanted a race war. Roof wanted one too. They both had a taste for mass murder.

No one is stopping anyone from rallying around the victims of this crime. I'm saying this. I didn't see as much complaining about how much press the Boston Marathon bombing received as opposed to the Charleston church shooting. The marathon bombing was addressed as terrorism. There are people trying to talk about things unrelated to this shooting.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Here's a big hint.

Another big hint: perhaps because those killings are not accompanied by a manifesto written by the murder specifying that their actions were based upon race.

Just a thought!

Some folks can't help themselves from the grip of stupidity mainly because it does not affect them in a negative way

Old 06-24-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I actually agree that the BATTLE FLAG of an opposing army should not be flying in official spaces. What someone personally wants to do is up to them. Let them fly the German, Japanese, Italian, or Army of Northern Virginia flag. But the government, in my opinion, shouldn't fly an opposing army's flag.
"The" government? There are 50 states; there isn't any *one* government.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:33 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Hitler wanted a race war. Roof wanted one too. They both had a taste for mass murder.
Roof was a deranged kid with a gun if that was his angle. Delusions of grandeur if he thought HE would be the one to set off a race war....or any war. The fact is - he didn't. He's now just a kid that shot 9 people, influenced no one and will spend life in prison. Comparing him to Hitler is almost an insult to those that suffered under his reign.

Quote:
No one is stopping anyone from rallying around the victims of this crime. I'm saying this. I didn't see as much complaining about how much press the Boston Marathon bombing received as opposed to the Charleston church shooting. The marathon bombing was addressed as terrorism. There are people trying to talk about things unrelated to this shooting.
Why do people need to talk about serious issues when you see fit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events