Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 01:51 PM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I find the American flag offensive because it was transformed from a symbol of self-reliance, exceptionalism and liberty into a symbol of entitlement, mediocrity, political correctness and excuse-making.
That is your opinion. I feel differently.

And there is something I want to point out. My beef is not with the USA flag. My beef is with this. That self-reliance, exceptionalism, and liberty, it was not applied to everyone equally. Blacks certainly did not benefit. It took fighting back to get those things like liberty and exceptionalism.

On the other hand, the CSA explicitly said slavery was a major part of its goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:53 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,825 times
My recognition of the fact that Alabama handled this situation with lightning quick speed & with far more grace than my state of Georgia ever did is not a bit of condescension on my part but rather of an offer of congratulations.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I find the American flag offensive because it was transformed from a symbol of self-reliance, exceptionalism and liberty into a symbol of entitlement, mediocrity, political correctness and excuse-making.
I'm sure there's one out there as I've read many times how it offends the illegals.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:55 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
^^^ It's not whether you are for or against it. The government and companies are beginning a push to censor what a person or group deems offensive. As I stated earlier, there may come a time when a logo or design on a t-shirt offends someone and there is a push to ban all printed t-shirts. Suddenly we are all walking around in plain shirts.

Think about it, folks. What one person finds offensive, another may not. I've seen shirts flipping the bird, shirts praising Christianity. Either one could be offensive. Christianity is the cause for many millions of slaves and lost lives as well. Don't think it will stop with just a flag.

Not to get too far off track here, but sports teams will practice their own censorship as well. I'll give you an example. I'm a Cleveland Browns fan, who used to have season tickets. I went to a Browns-Steelers game, and wore a shirt that says "Pittsburgh Still Sucks!" It was a warm day, so I had my jacket tied around my waste. So the guy at the gate tells me that I have to either turn my shirt inside out, or put my jacket on. I said "WTF? Why?" He said, "well we don't want to offend any of the visiting fans!" Ummm hello! This is a Browns home game! They're in OUR house! I know for a fact they wouldn't be so PC down there if we were playing down there. If Steelers fans want to come root for their team in our house, cool! Annoying yes? Free country yes? But they shouldn't exactly expect a love fest from their rival fans, and should expect some negative comments about their team, given they're in our house so to speak. Needless to say, I had to put my jacket on to cover the shirt, and they were threatening others and throwing others out for wearing anything that was derogatory to Pittsburgh! They did it in 1995 too. Right after Art Modell announced the move, they were confiscating any signs that slurred Modell. My buddy and I got ours confiscated. I don't remember exactly what it was but something along the lines like "Modell Sucks" or "Modell lied."

Old 06-25-2015, 02:00 PM

464 posts, read 804,050 times
Just look how many people have co-opted the (in)famous image of Che Guevara taken by Alberto Korda.

When you read what Che actually is quoted to have said his image becomes the equal of what the Confederate stars and bars have become.

But symbols and fallen flags have, throughout history, always been co-opted; like the Nazis and their swastika which was found in ancient India and Greece or the old Norse runic symbols that were used by the Nazi Schutzstaffel (SS). The Confederate stars and bars have been co-opted by hate groups to symbolize their pathetic, bilious causes.

Following the end of the Battle of Berlin and the surrender of Germany during WW2, the nation underwent a process known as de-nazification. One of the facets of this program was to purge any symbolism that was extant; any flags, insignia, decorations present were to be destroyed. Today Germany still outlaws the display of these symbols.

But while you can rid America all you want of these relics of hate, it's only a token gesture towards reconciliation until the removal of systemic and institutional racism finally happens.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:02 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,143,696 times
To me it seems wimpy. They shouldn't have had the flag in the first place due to its perception by the AA in Alabama but to change from the social pressure just appears weak.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:06 PM

601 posts, read 459,851 times
It could be that Nick Saban didn't want to lose potential recruits.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
There may be hope for Florida as well.

[url=http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-florida-confederate-flag-20150624-story.html]Black senators call for removal of Confederate symbols on state grounds, seals - Orlando Sentinel[/url]
Hey, I grew up in Alabama and lived there till I was 18. I know what it's like.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I posted that to counter the article that said the government told Amazon to stop selling.

I could care less one way or the other.

I'm just watching this revisionist purge take hold across America and noting how these Activist groups can activate themselves so quickly and get t-shirts, posters, buses and protest permits all in line.
This is the thing. Can old documents stating why secession was desired be refuted?

Old 06-25-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
^^^ It's not whether you are for or against it. The government and companies are beginning a push to censor what a person or group deems offensive. As I stated earlier, there may come a time when a logo or design on a t-shirt offends someone and there is a push to ban all printed t-shirts. Suddenly we are all walking around in plain shirts.

Think about it, folks. What one person finds offensive, another may not. I've seen shirts flipping the bird, shirts praising Christianity. Either one could be offensive. Christianity is the cause for many millions of slaves and lost lives as well. Don't think it will stop with just a flag.
The Alex Jones website is a farce. This is why INFOWARS is a crap website and a terrible news source, page 1

It was not the government that convinced Amazon. It was a group getting people together to get Amazon to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events