Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. Can old documents stating why secession was desired be refuted?
I've read plenty of old documents including many of Lincoln's letters.
The Civil War that is taught in K-12 is revisionist history.

It was not all White vs Black when I found out about Black slave masters.
The Black slave masters actually treated their slaves worse then the White slave masters.
And some of the Black slaves had it better than the poor Whites.

But when I read history I try to keep it in context with the time it happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 02:27 PM

73,064 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've read plenty of old documents including many of Lincoln's letters.
The Civil War that is taught in K-12 is revisionist history.

It was not all White vs Black when I found out about Black slave masters.
The Black slave masters actually treated their slaves worse then the White slave masters.
And some of the Black slaves had it better than the poor Whites.

But when I read history I try to keep it in context with the time it happened.
This is how I view things. I look at New Hampshire's state motto: Live Free or Die. That is how I feel when it comes to slavery. As it applies to the USA, it is personal for me. I don't care about the context of those times. There might have been some "Black" slave owners. However, most Blacks in the USA were slaves, as were my ancestors. For me, it is about what happened in my family that I care about. If we are going to speak on those times, then I would have to imagine if I was living back them. Considering that the majority of Blacks were enslaved at that time, I would have most likely been a slave. Anyone fighting to keep me a slave, I can't respect said persons.

I am talking about the Confederate cause. It is what it is. A large part of it was about maintaining the slave economy. What I've researched is no revisionist crap regarding why the Confederate states wanted secession. I know Lincoln didn't plan on freeing the slaves at first. However, it didn't matter to elite southerners and planters. They acted on what they thought Lincoln would do. My main point is that the Confederate elites acted on what they THOUGHT Lincoln would do.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,639,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
My recognition of the fact that Alabama handled this situation with lightning quick speed & with far more grace than my state of Georgia ever did is not a bit of condescension on my part but rather of an offer of congratulations.
Agreed. I lived in GA my whole adult life until last October. They sure love to hang onto all those mementos from the "War of Northern Aggression!"

Old 06-25-2015, 02:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
This is how I view things. I look at New Hampshire's state motto: Live Free or Die. That is how I feel when it comes to slavery. As it applies to the USA, it is personal for me. I don't care about the context of those times. There might have been some "Black" slave owners. However, most Blacks in the USA were slaves, as were my ancestors. For me, it is about what happened in my family that I care about. If we are going to speak on those times, then I would have to imagine if I was living back them. Considering that the majority of Blacks were enslaved at that time, I would have most likely been a slave. Anyone fighting to keep me a slave, I can't respect said persons.

I am talking about the Confederate cause. It is what it is. A large part of it was about maintaining the slave economy. What I've researched is no revisionist crap regarding why the Confederate states wanted secession. I know Lincoln didn't plan on freeing the slaves at first. However, it didn't matter to elite southerners and planters. They acted on what they thought Lincoln would do. My main point is that the Confederate elites acted on what they THOUGHT Lincoln would do.
FWIW if I were alive at that time. I'd be living in the south as I love the culture and way of life with no harsh winters. But I would not own any slaves and I would be a stop on the Underground Railroad.

And that's where I stand on the issue of slavery.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:50 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
One(1) out of the millions of African-Americans in the USA at that time. And besides, the picture is so bad you can't tell who it is.

According to this poll, there are more African-Americans who view the Confederate flag negatively than not.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2013/1...federate-flag/
If the Confederate flag is simply a symbol of Southern pride, you have to wonder why blacks don't wave it.

They were 36% of the population of the Confederacy at the time of the Civil War, and millions of them lived in the south during the decades of the Klan, Jim Crow, segregation, lynchings, massive resistance, etc. Is the Confederate flag not a symbol of Southern pride for them?

Old 06-25-2015, 03:01 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,901,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I suspect the people buying confederate flags are the same ones buying up all the ammo at walmart, because the gubmint is taking their rights away........

I have yet to meet one intelligent person that flies that flag, in fact most are complete loser idiots that sit around all day swilling beer and complaining about all the lazy minorities stealing all the jobs

How would you know unless you sit around and do so as well?

Facts or conjecture?

Old 06-25-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So what you're saying is, all your conservative republican politicians are suddenly turning PC on you and speaking out against your sacred symbols. They've brought out the extra high soapboxes for this one. These are the guys you trust?
PC is really society getting angry enough to ride somebody or symbol, out of town on a rail. This time it's your own crew trying to save their ass. Democrats have always had the tar and feathers warm and ready for the racists.

I hope they have the DIY kit as democrats are closet RACISTS.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
States rights, to do what? To own slaves.

What was more overreaching than the South's implementation of the Fugitive Slave Act that required northern states to assist slave owners in the capture of their run away slaves, despite attempts by free states to enact laws exempting themselves from any participation in assisting slave catchers?

Tyrannical government? What tyranny is greater than the holding of human beings as chattel slaves?

I suggest that you put aside the revisionist histories, and read the primary documents that have been posted here and everywhere else regarding the reasoning of the southern insurrectionist.

Wait until the citizens of the world are asking that question aloud. Short lived slavery in the USA will be as easy street.
A new world order will not be pleasant to live in.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
FWIW if I were alive at that time. I'd be living in the south as I love the culture and way of life with no harsh winters. But I would not own any slaves and I would be a stop on the Underground Railroad.

And that's where I stand on the issue of slavery.
Maybe you would not have owned slaves. Maybe you would have helped free slaves. I was merely speaking of if I had been alive in those days, and why I have the views I have.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If the Confederate flag is simply a symbol of Southern pride, you have to wonder why blacks don't wave it.

They were 36% of the population of the Confederacy at the time of the Civil War, and millions of them lived in the south during the decades of the Klan, Jim Crow, segregation, lynchings, massive resistance, etc. Is the Confederate flag not a symbol of Southern pride for them?
That is the main question. Why aren't Black southerners viewing it the way White southerners view it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events