Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 10:35 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
States rights,federal overreach and feelings of being under a tyrannical government from what I've read were much bigger issues than just having slaves or not.
States rights, to do what? To own slaves.

What was more overreaching than the South's implementation of the Fugitive Slave Act that required northern states to assist slave owners in the capture of their run away slaves, despite attempts by free states to enact laws exempting themselves from any participation in assisting slave catchers?

Tyrannical government? What tyranny is greater than the holding of human beings as chattel slaves?

I suggest that you put aside the revisionist histories, and read the primary documents that have been posted here and everywhere else regarding the reasoning of the southern insurrectionist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:37 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post

I have yet to meet one intelligent person that flies that flag, in fact most are complete loser idiots that sit around all day swilling beer and complaining about all the lazy minorities stealing all the jobs
How many have you met and had conversations with?

You sound like a racist.

"I have yet to meet one intelligent person that's black, in fact most are complete loser idiots that sit around all day living off the government and complaining about all the lazy cops and white people holding them down. "

Old 06-24-2015, 10:49 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
How many have you met and had conversations with?

You sound like a racist.

"I have yet to meet one intelligent person that's black, in fact most are complete loser idiots that sit around all day living off the government and complaining about all the lazy cops and white people holding them down. "
I've met more than I really cared to! Thats pretty funny, you do realize you are calling me (a caucasian female) a racist because I don't like stupid "white" people

Slow night of race bait'in eh?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:51 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,209 times
It's funny how neo-confederates are now trying to reinvent history.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:00 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Now that the Confederate flag has been judged "offensive" and it must be wiped from public view there's more rumbling that Civil War Statues must go as well.
Also, a mass renaming of schools and public buildings must commence NOW!

If we're to be consistent with Hillary,Barrack etc well then let's take a jackhammer to Stone Mountain in GA and Mount Rushmore as well as many of the statues on the Capitol Mall.
Former Presidents as slave holders must be erased from view as well, we don't want to be glorifying those racist slave holders.

GEORGE WASHINGTON (between 250-350 slaves)
- THOMAS JEFFERSON (about 200)
- JAMES MADISON (more than 100)
- JAMES MONROE (about 75)
- ANDREW JACKSON (fewer than 200)
- Martin Van Buren (one)
- William Henry Harrison (eleven)
- JOHN TYLER (about 70)
- JAMES POLK (about 25)
- ZACHARY TAYLOR (fewer than 150)
- Andrew Johnson (probably eight)
- Ulysses S. Grant (probably five)

Slaveholding Presidents
So what you're saying is, all your conservative republican politicians are suddenly turning PC on you and speaking out against your sacred symbols. They've brought out the extra high soapboxes for this one. These are the guys you trust?
PC is really society getting angry enough to ride somebody or symbol, out of town on a rail. This time it's your own crew trying to save their ass. Democrats have always had the tar and feathers warm and ready for the racists.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:00 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
making a dyed piece of cloth illegal is not the answer to any problem
anyone in government suggesting this should be fired
Who is suggesting it should be illegal to sell a flag?

Old 06-24-2015, 11:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,590 times
This is ridiculous. This reminds me of the argument "if we let homosexuals marry, we'll have to make marrying a horse legal". Really? Where does this logic come from? Certainly not from logic.

First of all, the Civil War is a part of our nation's history, period. That does not mean that flying a Confederate Flag- which someone rightly said not only represents slavery but secession- is equal to remembering our forefathers. Nope. Its a flag of secession, its like saying "let the 13 original colonies fly the original 13 starred flag because....." because why? The American flag supplanted the rebel flag, and all this is a part of history.

And as someone smartly pointed out, the particular flag that has everyone in such a lather was NOT flown continuously as a symbol of "pride". It was raised in the 60's as a clear-cut message to black folk, marking a line in the sand that said "don't cross".

Let it be clear here that I was born a southerner, and I am also white. And I have NEVER, EVER, in my life, met a single person who flew the flag for reasons of "heritage". Down to the last one, they were racists, and flew that flag to let everyone know. Maybe if you live in California, where outlaw country music is beloved by many erstwhile hepster cowboys, can it be worn without that assumption. And trust me, I let them know what that flag means to people like me, who choose to embrace the GOOD heritage of the south. Wanna embrace your heritage as a southerner? Then embrace Otis Redding, MLK, Jimmy Carter, rock and roll and bluegrass. But don't whine about a flag and pretend I am stepping on your "heritage".

Old 06-24-2015, 11:43 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The Confederate flag isn’t only a symbol of hate to me. It’s considered a symbol of hate by millions of well-informed Americans! And I seriously doubt that the people you know that support the confederate flag are educated, at least educated to a higher level than the opponents of the confederate flag. But that’s beside the point. Neither you nor I will be able to prove such in an online forum.
You're right, it doesn't take much education to become a professor of history, a professor of law, an administrative law judge, or a lieutenant colonel.

Quote:
Here we go with another straw man argument! Yes, the KKK is disgusting and the history of these inbreed, neo-confederates riding into town terrorizing blacks really influenced people’s perception of the confederate battle flag. But that’s not the only thing. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there are around 500 racist organizations that use the confederate flag as a symbol. This is recent and accurate data. Isn’t this a coincidence? I think not! White supremacist should just man up and stop playing these little games..
You meant "there are around 500 racist organizations that misuse the Confederate battle flag as a symbol." And I agree that white supremacists should man up - they should get their own symbol, rather than co-opting someone else's.

Quote:
Dude, you clearly don’t understand what treason is. To even engage in this type of discussion you’ll need a command of a simple definition that “should be” common knowledge. Let me help you out.
Let me help YOU out. As you read the text of the definition of treason in Article III, Section 3 of the United States Constitution, you'll find that there is no mention of secession.

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted."
Transcript of the Constitution of the United States - Official Text

Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
If you search "black guy with confederate flag", notice how its like just a couple dudes in different pics. Some of them look related.

I guess I'm the only one here who has met H.K. Edgerton.
https://www.google.com/search?q=h.k....w=1366&bih=657

Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What is your proof of that rumbling? Got a credible link to a legitimate site?

Who's recommending changing school names?

Oh, I forgot; conservatives are fearful creatures and need to make stuff up to support their fears.
They mentioned it on CBS news tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events