Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 08:17 AM

36,576 posts, read 30,907,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Food for thought.

Strom Thurmond's son, a state senator in SC had this to say, "Our ancestors were literally fighting to keep human beings as slaves, and to continue the unimaginable acts that occur when someone is held against their will. I am not proud of this heritage.”

Do you deny the connection of slavery to the flag of the Confederacy?
Are you rewriting actual history based on random racists quotes?
Why don't you look at the big picture, read some actual history, take a political science course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:19 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,844,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
Supporters can still use stickers and other decals. I prefer to know what kind of person I'm dealing with in this issue so I don't particularly have a problem with it decals. http://http://www.usatoday.com/story...ates/27605915/

I'm sure there are a multitude of people here who are relieved to know that their use of decals is acceptable because it meets with your approval.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 AM

73,062 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
Equally ironic and hypocritical as the murderous 9th grade rebel flag waving dropout who wrote about minorities having "a low i.q." and being too violent. As if being a 9th grade dropout and a drug abuser showed very much intelligence and murdering nine innocent people in a church (including some very elderly) was the way to protest violence.

The people who stand up for the confederate symbols of hate are guilty by association. All the convoluted excuses and attempts to change the subject though endless "but what if's" mean less than nothing. What they should do is simply drop their charade and admit they are disgusting racists too. Why even pretend otherwise? They are what they are.

Desperate attempts to change the subject to appear with endless "but what if's" in ...3....2...1....
Bigots can come in all backgrounds. However, I notice the most openly bigoted, and the most violent ones, are often the ones who are, like Roof, the ones of low intellect. It is often the ones who have dropped out of school, who have delved into loser lifestyles, the ones who have an anti-intellectual streak. He says "Blacks are violent and stupid", despite he himself being the same thing.

One has to wonder why those of low intellect, those of low education are the ones drifting to such things.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm a bit older than you. Grew up in Georgia and now live in South Carolina. I noticed the flag a lot more day to day back in the late 70s to mid-80s. Of course, back then, there was a bit of 'redneck revival' for lack of a better term thanks to popular shows such as the Dukes of Hazard. It was generally a younger set who drove large trucks and wanted to be seen as 'Southern' as possible. The older set who flew the flag were pretty much limited to poorer, lesser educated persons. The trailer trash as we called them often. And then there were the Civil War nuts. They embraced and loved all things related to the Civil War. However, that type was less likely to fly this historically inaccurate flag and more likely to fly the CSA national flag. I did see a few flags back in the day when we went to the laser show or something. However, it was usually being waved by a guy in a sleeveless shirt with a can of beer in his other hand.
I have to wonder why Dukes of Hazzard chose the Confederate flag.

I notice that it is often the young who fly such flags as well. The less educated types. I've met very few Civil War nuts, if there are any. Generally, I find similar things that you find. The persons who drive large trucks and who have the "redneck" culture in them.

I generally don't find educated Southerners flying such a flag. One has to wonder why.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have to wonder why Dukes of Hazzard chose the Confederate flag.

I notice that it is often the young who fly such flags as well. The less educated types. I've met very few Civil War nuts, if there are any. Generally, I find similar things that you find. The persons who drive large trucks and who have the "redneck" culture in them.

I generally don't find educated Southerners flying such a flag. One has to wonder why.
It wouldn't do any good to try to explain. To you the battle flag only represents White Supremacy.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It wouldn't do any good to try to explain. To you the battle flag only represents White Supremacy.
To me, it represents a cause rooted in maintaining slavery. Proof of this is the Articles of Secession. I've posted proof of such.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
To me, it represents a cause rooted in maintaining slavery. Proof of this is the Articles of Secession. I've posted proof of such.
It really became associated with White supremacy when the KKK usurped it.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:52 AM

1,683 posts, read 813,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It really became associated with White supremacy when the KKK usurped it.
Enough reason to ditch it alone. It's the swastika equivalent of the U.S.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:14 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Ok.. One thing that so many people are saying totally incorrectly here.. The flag is not flying over anything other than a memorial to South Carolina Civil War Soldiers.

That is an image of the flag.. So.. Understand what you're talking about before you start talking about it.

And, again.. It is the flag of the 1st Infantry of SC.. It is Square, not rectangular, so it is not the "Confederate Flag".. yes, all day long I will give you that it is the same design, short of being square vs rectangular.. But, all the 'flying over' comments are just totally wrong.

So.. The question I have for people is.. Do you feel it's appropriate for that flag to be flown at a memorial to Civil War Soldiers, which is where it is flying? Appropriate for the graves of Civil War soldiers who fought under that flag? I say it is.. Now, because the image has been hijacked.. I am, still, willing to consider to being replaced with another symbol, such as the SC Secession flag.. Which is slightly similar in design (About in as much as the US flag and Malaysian flag are similar) but certainly does not have the racism history associated with it.

If that is too close for people.. I think that's reaching.. But, I could possibly be talked into the Charleston flag that was raised after secession was declared..

Which removes any connotation or connection to the 'stars and bars'.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:19 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
I think the next battle in our war of righteousness is to coerce Hawaii to remove the Union Jack from their flag. It is insensitive to the oppressed Irish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events