Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 03:44 AM

30,434 posts, read 19,211,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I suspect the people buying confederate flags are the same ones buying up all the ammo at walmart, because the gubmint is taking their rights away........

I have yet to meet one intelligent person that flies that flag, in fact most are complete loser idiots that sit around all day swilling beer and complaining about all the lazy minorities stealing all the jobs
I know 2 people where I live that fly the Confederate Flag and both moved here from the South. One is a Phd Nuclear Physicist I work with that is brilliant and the other is an owner of a $100 M plus company....he flies the flag at his company which you might imagine, is very unpopular in the Pacific NW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 05:52 AM

73,062 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
This is ridiculous. This reminds me of the argument "if we let homosexuals marry, we'll have to make marrying a horse legal". Really? Where does this logic come from? Certainly not from logic.

First of all, the Civil War is a part of our nation's history, period. That does not mean that flying a Confederate Flag- which someone rightly said not only represents slavery but secession- is equal to remembering our forefathers. Nope. Its a flag of secession, its like saying "let the 13 original colonies fly the original 13 starred flag because....." because why? The American flag supplanted the rebel flag, and all this is a part of history.

And as someone smartly pointed out, the particular flag that has everyone in such a lather was NOT flown continuously as a symbol of "pride". It was raised in the 60's as a clear-cut message to black folk, marking a line in the sand that said "don't cross".

Let it be clear here that I was born a southerner, and I am also white. And I have NEVER, EVER, in my life, met a single person who flew the flag for reasons of "heritage". Down to the last one, they were racists, and flew that flag to let everyone know. Maybe if you live in California, where outlaw country music is beloved by many erstwhile hepster cowboys, can it be worn without that assumption. And trust me, I let them know what that flag means to people like me, who choose to embrace the GOOD heritage of the south. Wanna embrace your heritage as a southerner? Then embrace Otis Redding, MLK, Jimmy Carter, rock and roll and bluegrass. But don't whine about a flag and pretend I am stepping on your "heritage".
There is one thing I do want to mention. I live in the South at the moment(in Georgia). In my experience, this is what I've seen in terms of the Confederate flag. This is not to bash people who didn't go to college. This is merely an observation. The persons I've seen fly it the most, were often people who barely graduated high school(or dropped out), the ones who lived out in the older parts of the counties, etc. I've seldom seen anyone on a college campus, not even the ones born in the South. I never seen it around Starbucks or similar type coffee places. This is coming from someone who graduated high school in 2004.

I too feel there are other things that can be used to embrace southern heritage. I just wonder why the Confederate flag gets picked over everything else.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:03 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is one thing I do want to mention. I live in the South at the moment(in Georgia). In my experience, this is what I've seen in terms of the Confederate flag. This is not to bash people who didn't go to college. This is merely an observation. The persons I've seen fly it the most, were often people who barely graduated high school(or dropped out), the ones who lived out in the older parts of the counties, etc. I've seldom seen anyone on a college campus, not even the ones born in the South. I never seen it around Starbucks or similar type coffee places. This is coming from someone who graduated high school in 2004.

I too feel there are other things that can be used to embrace southern heritage. I just wonder why the Confederate flag gets picked over everything else.
I'm a bit older than you. Grew up in Georgia and now live in South Carolina. I noticed the flag a lot more day to day back in the late 70s to mid-80s. Of course, back then, there was a bit of 'redneck revival' for lack of a better term thanks to popular shows such as the Dukes of Hazard. It was generally a younger set who drove large trucks and wanted to be seen as 'Southern' as possible. The older set who flew the flag were pretty much limited to poorer, lesser educated persons. The trailer trash as we called them often. And then there were the Civil War nuts. They embraced and loved all things related to the Civil War. However, that type was less likely to fly this historically inaccurate flag and more likely to fly the CSA national flag. I did see a few flags back in the day when we went to the laser show or something. However, it was usually being waved by a guy in a sleeveless shirt with a can of beer in his other hand.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:28 AM

939 posts, read 796,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
I agree, Luke.

Regarding the flag versus civil war history:
History of the civil war, including confederate statues & historical markers, are a different story. They are historical and can be visited & left behind the same as a museum piece. You choose to go visit the museum, the statue, the historical marker, you read about it, you leave. Or don't go visit it.

The flag is a purposeful symbol of hate and intolerance, a symbol that was appropriated by hate groups (KKK, Southern Justice, i.e. racist nuts). Personally, flying it now, seems to be some pathetic white folks hanging on to their deluded ideal of Southern heritage. Where's the pride in something so blatantly offensive?

So to all the "I'm not racist" folks and "The confederate flag is our Southern heritage" put your money where your mouth is. If it's just a flag and just heritage, put it in a museum. No big deal.

And really Southerners, aren't there lots of other ways to show Southern pride & heritage without the use of that hateful flag?
You said it whole lot better than I could have.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:45 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,824,888 times
There is majority of support in both the South Carolina House and Senate for removing the Confederate flag from the capitol. Only tiny fractions oppose it - most of the non-Yes responses are 'undecided', 'has not responded' and 'refused to answer' [real profiles in courage there].
Live: We're asking every member of the SC legislature about the Confederate flag - The Post and Courier

The Republicans hold solid majorities in each body. When the flag comes down, it will be because the Republican Governor demanded it, Republican leaders in each body brought the vote to the floor, and rank-and-file Republicans voted for it.

And then the usual suspects will complain to no end about 'liberals', with nary a word about the craven Republicans who sold them out by folding like cheap suits when the political heat got just a little too hot.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:48 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,911,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Yeah, keep fooling yourself!
Counter-argument please? That's not telling me much, except that you lack the ability to reasonably discuss a topic.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 AM

733 posts, read 854,434 times
Excellent points.

I'll add that racist apologists will ignore the truth of the matter and will continue to attempt to camouflage their mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Non comprehension on your part does not correlate to meaningless on mine.

The cross was once an apparatus used to hang people off of, now it's a symbol of Christianity.

The swastika was once a nice design, now it's a symbol of Nazis and has been co-opted by skinheads.

The confederate flag was once a battle flag, now, to many, it's a symbol of racism and oppression in Southern America.

There was once a point where all these things were ordinary, now they are not. There's a tipping point at which they become known for something over their original purpose. The confederate flag appears to be nearing this point. Whether that symbolism reaches the level of the cross or the swastika remains to be seen.

Regardless of whether you're a Christian, skinhead or a racist, or not, if you wear fly or otherwise display these symbols you do not remove the greater symbolism of said symbol depending on your individual proclivity, so your point that if you fly the flag and you're not a racist it's not a racist flag, is incorrect.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 AM

12 posts, read 14,020 times
Default Removing confederate flag

Alabama ... CONGRATULATIONS!

You've shocked the entire country by taking down the Confederate flag.
By doing so, you've opened yourself to more wealth and health.

You've suddenly become more attractive to big firms seeking to relocate somewhere.
Your property values may rise and there'll be more money in your pockets.
You'll discover better relationships with neighbors of all hues... so the quality of your lives will rise.

Just by letting go of that symbol of racism and oppression, you've grown.

I congratulate the people of the State of Alabama.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:55 AM

7,481 posts, read 6,269,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin' Sam View Post
Alabama ... CONGRATULATIONS!

You've shocked the entire country by taking down the Confederate flag.
By doing so, you've opened yourself to more wealth and health.

You've suddenly become more attractive to big firms seeking to relocate somewhere.
Your property values may rise and there'll be more money in your pockets.
You'll discover better relationships with neighbors of all hues... so the quality of your lives will rise.

Just by letting go of that symbol of racism and oppression, you've grown.

I congratulate the people of the State of Alabama.
I guess GOOGLE was anticipating this event.

Google building $600 million data center in Alabama | AL.com

Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 AM

1,683 posts, read 813,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I suspect the people buying confederate flags are the same ones buying up all the ammo at walmart, because the gubmint is taking their rights away........

I have yet to meet one intelligent person that flies that flag, in fact most are complete loser idiots that sit around all day swilling beer and complaining about all the lazy minorities stealing all the jobs
Equally ironic and hypocritical as the murderous 9th grade rebel flag waving dropout who wrote about minorities having "a low i.q." and being too violent. As if being a 9th grade dropout and a drug abuser showed very much intelligence and murdering nine innocent people in a church (including some very elderly) was the way to protest violence.

The people who stand up for the confederate symbols of hate are guilty by association. All the convoluted excuses and attempts to change the subject though endless "but what if's" mean less than nothing. What they should do is simply drop their charade and admit they are disgusting racists too. Why even pretend otherwise? They are what they are.

Desperate attempts to change the subject to appear with endless "but what if's" in ...3....2...1....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events