Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 07:06 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Not that I care what this guy thinks (though he's spot on)...

Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Confederate flag: 'It's offensive to an entire race'

...but I just thought I'd contribute to a few more heads exploding!

And if you think it wasn't, then you're ignoring the history put down by the secessionists themselves.

All across the Confederacy there were Southerners who were more than happy to spell out exactly why they were seceding.

South Carolina took pains to explain precisely why it was leaving. In so doing, it the word 'slave' and it's variations - slavery, slaveholding, etc. - appear 18 times.

It goes on and on here:

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp

It continues at length about slavery for paragraph after paragraph.

Shall we look at other states? How about Georgia? The word 'slave' its variations here appear no less than 35 times - it's all Georgia talks about when blustering over why its secession is justified.
Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Georgia Secession

On to Texas - 22 mentions of 'slave' and variations. What a shock! And the entire document frames the conflict as one between slaveholding states and non-slaveholding states.
Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - A Declaration of the Causes which Impel the State of Texas to Secede from the Federal Union

And has already been noted, we can always ask Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens for his thoughts, for he was kind enough to give them to the ages in his famous Cornerstone Speech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner...Cornerstone.27

By the way, notice not only the mercantile interest in slavery but the incessant equation of slavery with 'civilization' as well? In other words, slavery wasn't just a business to the traitors, it was a way of life to them, an important aspect of their culture, part of their social fabric.

Oh, and as for the pretense of caring one whit about 'states rights', the Fugitive Slave Act forced states which did not recognize slavery to treat escaped slaves as slaves, not as the free men those states considered them to be. To add further insult to injury, it required those states to contribute materially to the pursuit and apprehension of those men it recognized as free in its own territory. Sorry, that walks all over the concept of 'states rights'.

And need I mention the fact that the Constitution of the Confederacy explicitly denied any state the right to abolish slavery? How does that demonstrate anything but a contempt for the concept of 'states rights' except when one finds the phrase a convenient political tool?

Finally, the silliness that the Confederacy believed in the right of secession. How about eastern Tennessee, a pro-Union stronghold? After the gathering of the unionist East Tennessee Convention in March 1861, the Confederacy sent in troops to crush the incipient secessionist movement. So the revisionists can spare us the spiel that the Confederacy cherished the right of secession - as with its posturing about 'states rights', support therein began and ended only where it conveniently coincided with Confederate interests.

The Southerners of the Confederacy had no compunctions about stating, loudly and clearly and unequivocally, that they were seceding over the issue of slavery. Oh, how inconvenient that must be to modern revisionists!

So, to sum up:
Q: How do we know that the Confederates seceded from the Union for the overriding reason of preserving the institution of slavery?
A: Because they told us so!
superb info but I can't rep you again. It's unfortunate that after all the work you put into that we still have folks here who refuse to let facts get in their way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 07:30 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,023,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Dude, anybody, no matter their race can be fired (and should be fired) for wearing racist attire off work. I would fire a black dude for wearing "kill the white man" underwear and I believe they did the right thing here...
So........can a worker who burns the American flag at an anti-war protest be fired also?

Old 06-27-2015, 07:46 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,174,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Not that I care what this guy thinks (though he's spot on)...

Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Confederate flag: 'It's offensive to an entire race'

...but I just thought I'd contribute to a few more heads exploding!

And if you think it wasn't, then you're ignoring the history put down by the secessionists themselves.

All across the Confederacy there were Southerners who were more than happy to spell out exactly why they were seceding.

South Carolina took pains to explain precisely why it was leaving. In so doing, it the word 'slave' and it's variations - slavery, slaveholding, etc. - appear 18 times.

It goes on and on here:

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp

It continues at length about slavery for paragraph after paragraph.

Shall we look at other states? How about Georgia? The word 'slave' its variations here appear no less than 35 times - it's all Georgia talks about when blustering over why its secession is justified.
Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Georgia Secession

On to Texas - 22 mentions of 'slave' and variations. What a shock! And the entire document frames the conflict as one between slaveholding states and non-slaveholding states.
Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - A Declaration of the Causes which Impel the State of Texas to Secede from the Federal Union

And has already been noted, we can always ask Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens for his thoughts, for he was kind enough to give them to the ages in his famous Cornerstone Speech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner...Cornerstone.27

By the way, notice not only the mercantile interest in slavery but the incessant equation of slavery with 'civilization' as well? In other words, slavery wasn't just a business to the traitors, it was a way of life to them, an important aspect of their culture, part of their social fabric.

Oh, and as for the pretense of caring one whit about 'states rights', the Fugitive Slave Act forced states which did not recognize slavery to treat escaped slaves as slaves, not as the free men those states considered them to be. To add further insult to injury, it required those states to contribute materially to the pursuit and apprehension of those men it recognized as free in its own territory. Sorry, that walks all over the concept of 'states rights'.

And need I mention the fact that the Constitution of the Confederacy explicitly denied any state the right to abolish slavery? How does that demonstrate anything but a contempt for the concept of 'states rights' except when one finds the phrase a convenient political tool?

Finally, the silliness that the Confederacy believed in the right of secession. How about eastern Tennessee, a pro-Union stronghold? After the gathering of the unionist East Tennessee Convention in March 1861, the Confederacy sent in troops to crush the incipient secessionist movement. So the revisionists can spare us the spiel that the Confederacy cherished the right of secession - as with its posturing about 'states rights', support therein began and ended only where it conveniently coincided with Confederate interests.

The Southerners of the Confederacy had no compunctions about stating, loudly and clearly and unequivocally, that they were seceding over the issue of slavery. Oh, how inconvenient that must be to modern revisionists!

So, to sum up:
Q: How do we know that the Confederates seceded from the Union for the overriding reason of preserving the institution of slavery?
A: Because they told us so!
Can't rep you again. shame... I bet most of those posting nonsense here will just skip over this great post.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:01 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,635,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
At one time there was a battle for civil rights, which was understandable. It seems that low paying food service jobs and a flag are the new battlefronts. It’s not a flag that blacks should be concerned with, but white liberals who’ve proven time and time again to be the most destructive force to black communities.
Please explain how "white Liberals" are the most destructive force to black communities?

Old 06-27-2015, 08:17 AM

4,878 posts, read 6,943,541 times

Old 06-27-2015, 08:25 AM

774 posts, read 1,858,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
At one time there was a battle for civil rights, which was understandable. It seems that low paying food service jobs and a flag are the new battlefronts. It’s not a flag that blacks should be concerned with, but white liberals who’ve proven time and time again to be the most destructive force to black communities.
This is my LAUGH for the day!!

Blacks shouldn't be concerned about the symbol of RACISM, terror and hatred that was waved against them for over 400 years???????? ????

Are you SERIOUS??
I guess you'd say the Jews shouldn't concern themselves with the Nazi Swastika either??

This "argument" is insane.
"If the Confederate flag is removed, the planet mars might just pop out of its orbit and destroy the whole universe!"

Really?
First of all... let's get honest ... or attempt to get real even for a second....

THE CONFEDERATE FLAG IS ABOUT HATE.
  • It's a symbol of White Supremacy.
  • It's a flag that waged war against the United States of America.
  • The economics and way of life of slavery.
  • Slavery BUILT America.
  • It's a BLOODY, horrible burden for Americans ... WHITE Americans to carry, and therefore a burden to us all.
    Don't thank me for my service out of one side of your mouth, then slander my Commander in Chief and worship the flag of traitors out of the other side.

Let it GO!
Every school of psychology and spirituality speaks at length about what hatred does to the mind, soul, and body. This is 2015. It happened. We don't need to knock down the statutes or dig up Confederate dead. All are a part of our history... but we need to process this and move beyond it. We do NOT live in 1864, and anyone who does has deep identity issues ... if not a few Personality Disorders.

Here's a link to what award-winning scholar and documentary film maker Ken Burns said about the "Heritage" of the Confederate Flag.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,040,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Wisconsin will secede if anyone tries, and snowbirds/transplants will become spies and saboteurs for the PACK should you succeed in this heresy!

On another note, I just watched the movie "The Butler" last night (yeah, I'm lagging on movies) and it would seem to me that the U.S. flag supported way more damage for a waaaaay longer period than the rebel flag ever did.

So, why haven't the historical revisionists gone after the good old Stars and Stripes? Because it's a fight they'd never win and it'd create way more hate and discontent than they could handle if they tried.
If y'all wanted to be intellectually honest you'd be demanding we redesign the Stars and Stripes to more fit the U.S. after all the civil rights laws were passed. Think about it, well after the civil war ended and slavery was abolished blacks were "free" (sort of) but were STILL not considered "people". Dogs had better treatment by many all across this nation. Granted no body could "own" a black person on paper but blacks were still slaves to those who weren't black. Paid less,had to use inferior public services,had to attend inferior schools,forced to stay in menial jobs and in some cases killed just for looking at a white woman.
So, when does the fight to change the Stars and Stripes start?
Let me know so I can get some popcorn and a soda to watch...

Last edited by jimj; 06-27-2015 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 AM

4,878 posts, read 6,943,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wisconsin will secede if anyone tries, and snowbirds/transplants will become spies and saboteurs for the PACK should you succeed in this heresy!

On another note, I just watched the movie "The Butler" last night (yeah, I'm lagging on movies) and it would seem to me that the U.S. flag supported way more damage for a waaaaay longer period than the rebel flag ever did.
You'd better protect your western border from illegal Vikings flowing across this fall. Our "army" has the looks of actually being competitive once again. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:22 AM

304 posts, read 344,553 times
If the government wants to truly make a statement against slavery, move all doings out of the U.S. Capitol, and Obama should move out of the White House....they were built by slaves!!

Let's not be selective what we're going to pick on.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:22 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,477,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I have an issue with the Confederate flag. The Civil was was 150 years ago. It's not the American flag and is supportive of slavery, racism and other issues. No one alive was around during the Civil war, and very, very few who are alive know someone who was in the was (who would have been in their 60's or 70's when they were born).
Well, I have an issue with certain things but it doesn't mean things should be banned as a result. Treating problems by dealing with the symptoms is unproductive. I know for some it gives them a sense of control in feeling they've "solved" a problem but in the end actually accomplishes nothing.

You need to realize slavery was common in the northern states long before the confederate flag was even conceived so it sounds like you would be ok with banning the American Flag? How far do you want to take this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events