Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 07:42 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,823,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I understood your point clearly. Let's take your logic further. So if a symbol has its original meaning taken 180 degrees the other way by some groups yet many others use it in its original context, the lowest common denominator determines its use for everyone and how it's perceived and therefore if it can/can't be used in public places? That's a scary can of worms. So if any other symbol is used in a twisted way, even if it has its base in something completely different, it should be banned from public property even though it's used in a respectful/proper context by lots of law abiding citizens? What's next, the number "8" becomes offensive to enough people or certain groups and we hear it should be banned from public places?

I'm sure you might have noticed many hate groups or groups many people don't agree with in their own mind also display the American Flag at their rallies and have been doing so for decades now. Again, following your logic, it sounds like you'd be ok with not flying it over public buildings or spaces because what it symbolizes still today for some? Let us be consistent now, correct? And again, round and round we go to my original point....and the point is where does this all end on what is banned and who decides on what's offensive or not and to whom?
We're talking specifically about the Confederate flag. It has an undeniable history in the last 60 years of signifying white supremacy and opposition to equal rights for blacks. Whatever it may have stood for in the past, that's what it has come to represent now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 07:52 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,475,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We're talking specifically about the Confederate flag.
Yes, we are talking about the confederate flag. And you continue to ignore the larger context of this issue and refuse to directly answer my simple questions on where does this end. That alone tells me much.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:02 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Yes, we are talking about the confederate flag. And you continue to ignore the larger context of this issue and refuse to directly answer my simple questions on where does this end. That alone tells me much.
it doesnt, they want to erase history, and also get paid for their suffering

Old 06-27-2015, 08:21 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,148,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
I for one am glad it's down. It's symbolizes hate. To You. To others, it has a completely different meaning. So are you saying that the only way the rest of the world interprets the meaning is the one you assign it? Hate group uses it, white supremacist uses it and mentally ill people poses with it.

Hate Groups also use the American Flag. Therefore, by your own logic, we should banish the Stars and Stripes. Far right conservatives have used the Cross as a sign of discrimination, therefore, by your own logic, the Cross should be banned. Simply because another group usurped the sign and changed the original meaning. This form of logic is absolutely absurd.

Therefore the I declare that the Pink Ribbon (Breast Cancer Awareness) now means to me - and my followers - "Pork Rinds Rule!!!" It doesn't matter what You think it means - only what I declare it means! I usurped it, therefore it is now mine to decide the new meaning. So... what are you going to do, huh?

----------

Why are people so mad that it's taken down? You can still hang it up your wall at home. No one gives a damn. You are free to be racist at home when no one else is bothered by it.

Does everyone that hangs the Star and Crescent mean they want "DEATH TO ALL AMERICANS!!!"? By your own logic, anyone that has this flag must mean that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WANTS ALL AMERICAN TO DIE!! Right?!?

Hey, man.. I'm just using your own logic...

Old 06-27-2015, 08:37 PM

304 posts, read 344,398 times
Thank you Steve, brownbagg, and Starman. You all are re-emphasizing points that I've been trying to make. It's not necessarily about the flag itself, but the larger issue.

Whether or not you are for or against the flag, you cannot pick and choose which piece of history you want to remove, without eliminating and rewriting all of it.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:37 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,475,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
Thank you Steve, brownbagg, and Starman. You all are re-emphasizing points that I've been trying to make. It's not necessarily about the flag itself, but the larger issue.

Whether or not you are for or against the flag, you cannot pick and choose which piece of history you want to remove, without eliminating and rewriting all of it.
Same to you, mbalmedpoet. That was exactly my goal too.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:38 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,771,521 times
CD is populated ee by grub gees
dsorry 4 keyboard errors

Old 06-27-2015, 09:45 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,658,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I wish I had a few thousand Confederate Flags that I could sell to the Flag Burners and the great new interest in the Confederate Flag that has been generated by the Political Correctness Nazis.
Not the right way to do things.
She did break the law, but in my opinion it should be against the law to fly it on gov. property.
Just let things happen legelly it will be down by the end of the year.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Not the right way to do things.

Just let things happen legelly it will be down by the end of the year.
correct

Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,477,499 times
I wish the South would focus more on education then a flag, some of the Southern High School standards are pathetically bad, 5th graders in China should do their High School homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events