Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 07:13 PM

73,062 posts, read 62,680,395 times

Advertisements

It is not about the design of the flag. It is about the cause that it stands for. The Confederate flag might have derived from St. Andrews Cross. However, it didn't stand for Christianity. The Confederate cause was largely about trying to keep slavery around.

Consider the Nazi flag. It might have been derived from a Buddhist symbol, but the Nazi cause had nothing to do with Buddhism. The goal was to exterminate the Jews.

It isn't about the design, it is about the cause being represented under such a banner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 07:31 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,605,279 times
Default Conspiracy so big, few see it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is not about the design of the flag. It is about the cause that it stands for. The Confederate flag might have derived from St. Andrews Cross. However, it didn't stand for Christianity. The Confederate cause was largely about trying to keep slavery around.

Consider the Nazi flag. It might have been derived from a Buddhist symbol, but the Nazi cause had nothing to do with Buddhism. The goal was to exterminate the Jews.

It isn't about the design, it is about the cause being represented under such a banner.
And that which united us as a country will continue to keep us divided as a people.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 PM

Default The Confederate Cause ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
And that which united us as a country will continue to keep us divided as a people.
Every time a person sees a swastika, they will think Nazi not Hinduism. Think about "why" that is ... If a person knows, then they can't be manipulated.
If a person understands the Christian "principles" then they might understand, the use of the St. Andrews Cross as the Battle Flag, by Robert E. Lee.

The Confederate Cause
Quote:
Their justification for the atrocities committed against the citizens of the Confederacy was the freeing of slaves, but slavery would have ended regardless of the victor. The difference lay in the approach to ending slavery, which the true issue! The Union chose force, the slaves were freed without an education or training in dealing with living in a free society, and with no means of making a living. The Confederacy anticipated grand fathering the institution of slavery out of existence, while educating the slaves before granting them their freedom. The Southern Slave Masters, primarily plantation owners, would have been compensated for their loss, allowing them the means to hire on the open market, the needed labor.
{bold above for emphasis}
Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Mississippi Secession
"It seeks not to elevate or to support the slave, but to destroy his present condition without providing a better."

People will continue to see only that which they want to see, (St Andrews will be washed out to sea; lost in the confusion of it all) regardless of what I do here. That much is obvious. Sad, but obvious.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:45 PM

Default Actions Speak Louder than Words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The really sad part is that for all the whining about 'progressives', it's conservatives who have done a complete and total 180 on this issue in the past few weeks - the progressive stance on the treason flag has not changed.
The Conservative presentation for a smaller government with less intervention, does not wash with their actions; never did.

One day, people will push back away from the R & D government ideals and learn to get along as a people and that, scares the hell out of government, because that would take their power away.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:53 AM

563 posts, read 524,683 times
Default Now I aint saying she a gold digger, but she ain't messing with

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
He was 81, she was 18

I think back in those days, it was probably considered cool. And then there was the money, not much, but a little. I don't think they probably, well, you know.....At least I hope not. Talk about years of therapy! Yep, money and notoriety. Hey, it almost worked for Charles Manson. The power of fame, I guess.

"Get down girl, go ahead, get down" Ok, this was a personal best! Incorporating Kanye West into a post, sick!

Old 07-07-2015, 04:43 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,552,258 times
I have to wonder what else is next in line to offend everyone? Maybe we can burn some books while we wait.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:57 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,150,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post

Awesome, thanks for your feedback.

I'm a Californian. Given that the confederacy is in the news right now I am trying to understand the issues and the "southerner" mindset. When you said you "love this part of the country" do you see yourselves as different culturally than the rest of the US? Do you frown upon other parts of the USA?

As a Californian I see the West Coast as an integral and important part of the US. I know, however, that I would never draw up a flag and constitution to defend the tech, movie, or aerospace industries against the other parts of the USA. I would hope the US West would work with the east coast, DC, midwest, and the south but if we could not reach an agreement, find a way to improve the Western economy. I just can't fathom going all out to fight the US military.

It sounds like the South truly does see itself as a different nation.

The many issues involved with the Civil War took place and were settled long before California was a state.

Im not sure there is an issue today that would send any Californian into battle mode, except maybe Illegal Immigration, if that.

Well it seems CA has had millitary in their streets in 1992 Los Angeles, during/after the Rodney King riots. Even though it is local, and in a different time, it is clear other Californians do not share your opinion.

California has also had its share of Indian Removal (see Ishi, The Last Yahi), and California definately played a role in the Mexican American War from which your Bear Flag originates. I dont know if that flag and its history does anything to makes you feel special or not, but you yourself do seem to project a sense of being above all the troubles of the rest of the country. In Northern California, Ive heard native Californians make fun of that flag, as you would be hard pressed to find a Brown Bear still living in the state.

Would you get upset if that Bear flag was declared racist against people of Chicano and Mexican decent? Would you become upset enough to fight over it if Silcon Valley, for whatever reason, was suddenly to become illegal business. Im not pointing to any inflammatory reason for it to be, but as one of the last major industries left in America, does that seem like something some Californians might go to war over? I dont know how you and other Californians would respond. I also dont know what the rest of the country, and our governments reaction to any negative feedback on shutting it down would be.

Would you get upset if that Bear flag was declared racist against the Chinese in CA? Los Angeles bares the distinction of being the site of the largest mass lynching in American History.

The Chinese massacre of 1871, when 500 men entered Chinatown and killed 18 Chinese immigrants. Their bodies left hanging near the heart of the downtown business district, on Calle de los Negroes (i.e. Negro Street, now part of Los Angeles Street since 1877).

I dont know if California has ever truely threatened to suceed from the US, or if any Califronian would take up arms to make that happen or to prevent it from happening, but I do know proposals have been made to divide that state up from itself since its inception. You also have the ideas of Ecotopia, and Cascadia out there, which do mention seperating from the US.

The South doesnt see itself as a seperate nation. How can it, when so much of American History originates from there? That would be like any child seeing itself as somehow not a part of its mother.

Just like any Californian, or any Yankee, or any Mid-westerner, we do see ourselves having our own distinct culture - what's wrong with that?

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 07-07-2015 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: spelling and clarification

Old 07-07-2015, 05:15 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,983,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Your link is bad:

Supreme Court blocks Texas confederate flag plate

I have an issue with the Confederate flag. The Civil was was 150 years ago. It's not the American flag and is supportive of slavery, racism and other issues. No one alive was around during the Civil war, and very, very few who are alive know someone who was in the was (who would have been in their 60's or 70's when they were born).
1. The Civil War had nothing to do with slavery: Tariff of 1828

2. As long as progressive leftist moonbats fling epithets at southerners, their region's adopted banner is still a symbol of honor and dignity.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:54 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,932,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
1. The Civil War had nothing to do with slavery: Tariff of 1828...
Despite what the 'Confederate States of America Constitution', the 'Articles of Secession', & the 'Declarations of Causes' says?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:56 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,932,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
What united us as a Country? What continues to keep us divided as a people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events