Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 12:51 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The early designers of the United States of America struggled with the concept of owning people as property. Some agreed & some disagreed, it was one of the largest debates during the Constitutional Congress. They compromised by beginning with the institution of slavery intact, they were, I think, pragmatic anarchists.

When considering the designers of the Confederate States of America, I think it's helpful to look at their Constitution, how did they intend to be different from the United States?

Here's a line-by-line comparison:

Constitution of the Confederate States of America- what was changed?
The founding fathers were wishy-washy about the whole slavery issue. The Confederates had their minds made up and were willing to die to keep it. The Confederate Constitution proves it. Anyone who wants to keep downplaying slavery after seeing the Confederate Constitution, well there is a major intellectual and cognitive dissonance going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 07:24 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I have to wonder what else is next in line to offend everyone?
Well, I'd like to start off at saying that I'm offended by so many people being offended at just about everything these days.

We might, I mean just might, have some slightly bigger problems to solve in this country that need addressing but I know that's crazy to suggest such a thing given we are dealing with these other life altering "problems" such as the Confederate flag that affect the large majority of Americans. Good grief.

And I'm with you all the way.......

Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I have to wonder what else is next in line to offend everyone?
Next up is the next obstacle, symbol, statement, action that arises letting us know that we aren't that far from 1964.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
we are dealing with these other life altering "problems" such as the Confederate flag that affect the large majority of Americans.
No but they affect a significant minority, but of course that shouldn't be a concerned to the "majority."

Old 07-08-2015, 09:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Next up is the next obstacle, symbol, statement, action that arises letting us know that we aren't that far from 1964.

No but they affect a significant minority, but of course that shouldn't be a concerned to the "majority."
1964 or 1984? I submit we're closer to 1984 than ever before!

Old 07-08-2015, 11:37 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Nobody is fighting for the right to keep Mexicans in slavery here in the US. What 79% of the people want is for Congress to pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill that will solve the problem once and for all. The right wing will sell you a bill of goods and say that if you're not for deporting every single illegal alien then you are for illegal immigration. This is simply not true. Here you portray the Mexicans as downtrodden slaves of American industry while if you move over one forum, your compatriots are claiming Mexican immigrants are riding the gravy train of American Largess. Which is it?

What Americans Want From Immigration Reform in 2014
At present, 62% of Americans favor providing a way for immigrants who are currently living in the United States illegally to become citizens provided they meet certain requirements, while 17% support allowing them to become permanent legal residents but not citizens, and roughly 1-in-5 (19%) favor a policy that would identify and deport all immigrants living in the United States illegally.

Additionally, I have read all 158 pages of this thread and one thing stands out above all. The Seditious Bast***s who started the Civil war have never left. They just went to ground after the Civil War but they remain with us. Whenever an event turns over the rocks they hide under, they come scuttling out proclaiming their just cause for secession as they attempt to rewrite history. It's only been 150 years. The American memory is better than that.
Come back in another two hundred years and then tell us that trying to destroy the Union of the United States was an honorable cause. In the meantime, scuttle back under the rocks you came out from, Go back to the shadows, next to the McCarthy's, John Birchers, KKK and racists where you belong.
Sorry to be so harsh, but that is my honest, true feelings.

Edited to add: One more thing.
You attempt to blame the banning of the confederate flag on liberal PCism. That's a joke. Look how fast the South Carolina Republican legislature turned tail and overwhelmingly denounced the cause, the flag and it's future place in South Carolina.
So either it is the right thing to do, morally, or they turned tail and folded like a cheap suit under the scrutiny of public opinion.
Quote:
trying to destroy the Union
They wanted to "withdraw" from it. Propaganda spread around the globe about the them destroying the Union and people continue to fall for it, even today.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:44 PM

Default Nothing has changed ...

Quote:
Have you read the Constitution of the Confederate States of America?

The following link contains a line-by-line comparison of the CSA & USA Constitutions:

Constitution of the Confederate States of America- what was changed?
Yes, but I went here: Avalon Project - Confederate States of America : Documents before going any where else on the web.

I understood what I read in the original documents written in Kings English. Concluded the Confederacy was being railroaded by the Union. That same tactic is being use today.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 07-09-2015 at 12:06 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Why not read the original documents? Why the link to an opinion piece?

If folks were discussing secession today, I'd read the documents & the proposed Constitution.

I'd want to thoroughly understand which States' Rights were the reason for secession.
I did and I do.

I equate it to marriage and divorce where property becomes an issue.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:33 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Take out slavery and you wouldn't have had the Civil War.

Sad to see the revisionist "historians" chipping away at reality. Their wiggling and squirming and denials are not doing the South any service.

Or anyone else for that matter. Very weak.
I get you, array, it's baffling.

I think about 2 quotes from George Santayana:

“Those who do not remember history, are condemned to repeat it.”

”Loyalty to our ancestors does not include loyalty to their mistakes.”

Old 07-09-2015, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The founding fathers were wishy-washy about the whole slavery issue. The Confederates had their minds made up and were willing to die to keep it. The Confederate Constitution proves it. Anyone who wants to keep downplaying slavery after seeing the Confederate Constitution, well there is a major intellectual and cognitive dissonance going on.
I get you, green_mariner, they were wishy-washy, in hindsight, compromising on the issue of slavery was a horrific mistake.

I suppose downplaying slavery is showing loyalty to ancestors while including loyalty to their mistakes. It's not healthy, doesn't make sense & is damaging on many levels.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The status of the Negro, where as the Union, was freeing them without making it to where they could provide for themselves through property ownership, education, or anything else. They set them free, so as they could incorporate them into the war.

If you will read the documents as a whole, you will get that, I'm sure. But as long as a person is focused intent on one thing and one thing only, then they will totally miss it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yes, but I went here: Avalon Project - Confederate States of America : Documents before going any where else on the web.

I understood what I read in the original documents written in Kings English. Concluded the Confederacy was being railroaded by the Union. That same tactic is being use today.
Your first response is inconsistent with your second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events