Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 05:41 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
White crime is man bites dog. I am sure that more blacks die in black-on-black violence than there are victims of the Adam Lanzas, Jared Lochners, James Holmes' and Dylann Roofs of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Maybe churches, schools, communities should be focusing more violence prevention efforts on young males. I mean starting when they are about 10 years old or something, with a focus on helping young males deal with the apparent anger and violence that a sizable minority act out.
There are many groups are trying to stop the gang violence in Chicago but there is so much they can do . Some gangs members are starting around six.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:45 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
But I live in an area where sport hunting is a tradition among many of my neighbors. And I've heard the point raised many times, and completely agree, that one of the reasons Americans have fared well in war is that a large portion of Americans have exposure to the use of, and respect for, a firearm long before they enlist.
Nope. Most American military don't fire weapons as a matter of their occupations, and the success of combat operations rests more on warfare logistics than the ability to hit a target when you pull the trigger of a handheld weapon.

The reason American military do so well at the kind of war America fights so well is because American youth have faith in the technology. Even the fact that most American youth enter the military with years of automobile driving experience behind them--which the youth in most countries lack--gives American youth a step up for everything else. It means that an American is more likely to stick with his plane or his tank or his ship or his sidearm and work through the toughest situation that others might abandon.

We've see this happen in recent wars, we can't quantify it as a specific military capability, but we know it exists.

Back when the Bhopal chemical disaster struck India, killing over 3,000 people, Indian engineers stated that they'd seen worse things beginning to happen at American chemical plants, but where the Indian engineers fled as the situation got worse, Americans would stay doggedly at their stations...and persevere.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:49 AM

20 posts, read 14,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The fact that they're white and generally come from well-to-due backgrounds. They also do these mass spree shootings in areas with affluent white people. In the ghetto you have people killing on a regular basis but you seldom hear about it.
and can u answer why is that ghetto barely makes the news when someones kill or shot or hurt???

Old 06-26-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Maybe churches, schools, communities should be focusing more violence prevention efforts on young males. I mean starting when they are about 10 years old or something, with a focus on helping young males deal with the apparent anger and violence that a sizable minority act out.
American churches specialize in teaching young males that violence is an option. There are a couple of current threads in this forum in which someone has suggested that maybe Christians should practice non-violence...and the bulk of American Christians say "Jesus told us to buy guns!"

Old 06-26-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelviera50 View Post
and can u answer why is that ghetto barely makes the news when someones kill or shot or hurt???
Stated up front. Common occurrences aren't "news."

Old 06-26-2015, 05:53 AM

20 posts, read 14,736 times
Quote:
and can you answer why when in the ghetto someones shot killed or hurt it dont make the news? but what does make the news is how someone stole a families raindeir off there lawn in a suburb nieghberhood 2 towns away 2 days before xmas smh makes no sense to me

Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Because more and more of them have been led to expect too much by the media, while growing up (or failing to do so) in single-parent, female-headed households; and because in "progressive" America, they've become sheltered from the responsibilities of young adulthood, and the burdens of adjusting to them, while the thugs and slackers are more adept at finding an easier way to get by, courtesy of Big Brother and Sister, who seem determined to turn us, into a nation of either wolves or sheep, without much in between.
Well, I guess that fits nicely into your political agenda doesn't it?

I'd say the answer is much more simple. Its mental illness.

The classic case is that nut that killed 20 school children in that school in Connecticut. His actions had nothing to do with entitlement and while his parents were divorced, his father was very active in his life. Adam Lanza though appears to have been a time bomb waiting to go off.

Just a suggestion. Stop trying to turn everything in life into a struggle between the "good guys" (in your mind, conservative libertarians) and the "bad guys" (liberals and progressives). I know children in grade school who realize the world isn't quite that simple.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
Oh... you mean like these guys..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYDJ5R5Raa8 How common are African-American mass shooters? | theGrio

Old 06-26-2015, 06:25 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,682 times
Quote:
I am from Chicagoland so I hear about it shooting alot.
The media only cares when it is black vs white it sells like hotcakes .

Old 06-26-2015, 07:07 AM

72,989 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Because it is the ghetto. People expect to get killed in the ghetto. Places like that, it is nothing new and if the news was covered there every single time, there would be little time to report other things. A mass shooting, however, is shocking to everyone. Few people expect to getting shot and killed in a suburban school that has very few minorities. Very few people expect to be shot to death in church. Those things shock people. Getting murdered in the ghetto, as sad and tragic as it is, is expected. It doesn't really shock anyone that it happens there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events