Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:57 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

I graduated in '71. Showered after each gym class starting in 7th grade and never thought twice about it.

Lol to the poster who said, "hey dude, are you looking at my dick?" That would bring down a sh*tstorm of torment on any guy caught doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OMG, does every thread you go on have to be about the left? It's political that kids don't shower, really??

We can go on a tour of trailer parks in Arkansas and Alabama and I assure you we will find plenty of conservatives that don't shower.
Thus far, based on the posters responses, the ones I quoted saying they either didn't shower, or agreed kids shouldn't have to, are known liberals.
Furthermore, the quote from someone who worked for the ACLU was very telling, and had political connotations to it. So while the general subject is not political, if a certain philosophy seems to all side with a way of thinking, it is a point of interest. If a time honored practice like taking a shower after PE/sports is being attacked, it is no surprise that the leftists are behind it.
Sorry if the mirror of my observations is showing your reflection in it.

`

Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's the female part that is the connection. Females are weird about their bodies, and obsess about them. If the boys hang out with their fathers, they will accept male nudity as normal. Instead, they are being taught to obsess about their bodies like their mothers do.

There are social issues too, since the number of male-only venues has shrunk by a couple orders of magnitude in the last 50 years. It's hard to find a men-only barber shop nowadays, much less a men's gym. When I was in college 50 years ago, the men's gym was clothing optional in some exercise areas and clothing forbidden in the pool. Now they have a coed "recreation center" and everybody dresses in designer shirts and shorts.
I am not as old as you, but I understand most of your post. However you and possibly another poster has mentioned no swim trunks in the pool. My schools either didn't have pools, or at least PE didn't involve using it.
However I am trying to figure out the purpose of prohibiting swim trunks even in an all boys school, or a men's only club.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:22 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Thus far, based on the posters responses, the ones I quoted saying they either didn't shower, or agreed kids shouldn't have to, are known liberals.
Furthermore, the quote from someone who worked for the ACLU was very telling, and had political connotations to it. So while the general subject is not political, if a certain philosophy seems to all side with a way of thinking, it is a point of interest. If a time honored practice like taking a shower after PE/sports is being attacked, it is no surprise that the leftists are behind it.
Sorry if the mirror of my observations is showing your reflection in it.

`
You don't even read the posts. NONE of the girls took showers after gym when I was in high school or middle school (graduated 1980). Like another poster pointed out, gym was a 42 minute class like very other. They sent you back with a couple minutes to get your clothes on and get to class. Again, kids who did extramural sports DID shower because they had the time to do it. It is just the height of absurdity to try to make political connections to the reasons kids don't like to shower during the school day.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:29 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
I am not as old as you, but I understand most of your post. However you and possibly another poster has mentioned no swim trunks in the pool. My schools either didn't have pools, or at least PE didn't involve using it.
However I am trying to figure out the purpose of prohibiting swim trunks even in an all boys school, or a men's only club.
Meat gazers.

No other reason. Naked swiming on a hot summer night in a lake with a bunch of teenage boys and girls and a case of beer is called skinny dipping. A bunch of adolescent boys with their junk in various stages is development under fluorescent school pool lighting is meat gazing by perverts.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:30 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Same thing here . . . Our gym teacher stood at the communal shower with a clip board to supposedly make sure everyone took a shower. It was horrific. Truly the low point of every week. It was the point in a younger persons life when things were changing, some faster than others. Humiliating. Then, it seemed like you could never dry off, because you still sweat despite the shower, which only exacerbated that.
There wasn't enough time to shower after PE when I was in high school. You barely had enough time to change. Lockers room got opened up at the end of the period and you had ten minutes to file in, change, and be at your desk in the next class. That's if they opened the locker room exactly when the class ended, which never happened. Usually you stood around for a few minutes waiting to even get in the locker room which was enough to mean you very well might already be late.

I never showered even after sports. No point. We couldn't use the lockers to store anything. We changed on the field. For track, yeah, we used the locker rooms. You don't wear underwear under a track uniform/running shorts, so standing around with your junk in the breeze wouldn't be socially acceptable. Probably wouldn't have bothered half the guys on the track team. For soccer and baseball, pretty much no one bothered. You either had your sports bag in the car or were carrying it around with you all day so why waste time going to the locker room? Maybe a few of the girls did but the guys sure didn't. After sports, again, you just went home and changed/showered. Why make a trip to the locker room for no reason when you're going to lug all the stuff home with you anyway?

Last edited by Malloric; 06-28-2015 at 01:51 PM..

Old 06-28-2015, 03:39 PM

563 posts, read 524,281 times
It was a million years ago when I was in gym class, in Jr. High School and High School. I did not mind taking a shower at school. It was not a negative experience. In retrospect, I think it was actually a very good thing, as there were some students that seemed like this may be the only shower that they would have that day with soap and a dry, clean towel. From what I understand, most schools do not do that anymore, period. It is not even an option.

A million years in real life is closer to 25 years, referencing the previous paragraph, since my gym days. I am sure that in those 25 years, someone had a problem with showering and it has subsequently become a thing of the past with the exception of those on team sports. The experience for me was benign, and un-traumatic. Their were some guys that seemed uncomfortable, but they were few and far between, probably cause they would receive a lot of ridicule from the other guys.

As far as gay coaches go, or gym teachers, which in my high school were the same group of people, there were not any gay stalkers, child molesters, etc I come from a small town where everyone knew everyones business. It was a better place or maybe just a better time.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:40 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Clothing is filthy. If you want to wash your underwear, use a washing machine.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
This article was published June 26th and is merely referencing the said article from 96.

We had a perverted fat gym teacher who insisted on handing us the towels back when I was in middle school claiming they were getting stolen or something. It was kind of creepy... as is the whole notion of forced public showering in a public school.
I went to middle and high school from the late 1990's until mid 2000's, never had showers in our locker rooms for traditional gym class. Not sure when my middle/high school stopped that practice to be honest. I am guessing the 1980's with the gays or something.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:02 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Meat gazers.

No other reason. Naked swiming on a hot summer night in a lake with a bunch of teenage boys and girls and a case of beer is called skinny dipping. A bunch of adolescent boys with their junk in various stages is development under fluorescent school pool lighting is meat gazing by perverts.
Yeah, perversion is ALWAYS the reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events