Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:55 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,462,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Mass nudity?

We showered after gym when I was in HS, and there was no "mass nudity." Gimmeabreak.
It depends if there's privacy or not. Some gyms have private stalls. However the open shower is based on the prison/millitary model. The millitary and prison uses as nudity as a form of humiliation to break men down. That's in the American context were nudity is associated with homosexuality. In Europe were there less of a stigma I doubt people would find it as humilating but American associated forced nudity as a form of humilation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 08:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
It depends if there's privacy or not. Some gyms have private stalls. However the open shower is based on the prison/millitary model. The millitary and prison uses as nudity as a form of humiliation to break men down. That's in the American context were nudity is associated with homosexuality. In Europe were there less of a stigma I doubt people would find it as humilating but American associated forced nudity as a form of humilation.
Did the other boys sting you with towels and make fun of you in gym class?

I've never heard of anyone, except a few people on CD, associate nudity with homosexuality. If nudity were more common and natural, we would have a lot less perverts. It starts with unhealthy attitudes about your body. If you associate nudity with humiliation, you need to look at what happened to you in your past.

BTW, my high school once encouraged boys to swim nude in swimming class. Many boys were humiliated because they didn't own and couldn't afford to buy swim trunks. They didn't want boys in the pool with cutoffs.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

I've never heard of anyone, except a few people on CD, associate nudity with homosexuality. If nudity were more common and natural, we would have a lot less perverts. It starts with unhealthy attitudes about your body. If you associate nudity with humiliation, you need to look at what happened to you in your past.

BTW, my high school once encouraged boys to swim nude in swimming class. Many boys were humiliated because they didn't own and couldn't afford to buy swim trunks. They didn't want boys in the pool with cutoffs.
I never had to shower in HS but always associated public showering with a prison like environment were homosexuality is a threat. At my HS the showers were abandoned and unused. Luckily I had athletics at the end of the day but it must be awful having it in the morning and going so day without showering.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:54 AM

465 posts, read 418,260 times
We had an awful ugly fat assistant football that was a woman (looked like a bulldog). Every time a player would get hurt, she would run on the field and take care of the injured player. She did the normal things and then she would shove her hands in the hurt guy's pants and rummage around. I never understood why that was required. I never played too so I saw this event occur every time. I remember mumbling to one of my friends,..."if I play, I better not get injured."

Old 09-28-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I never had to shower in HS but always associated public showering with a prison like environment were homosexuality is a threat. At my HS the showers were abandoned and unused. Luckily I had athletics at the end of the day but it must be awful having it in the morning and going so day without showering.
Not sure what you mean by "athletics," but I had swimming class from 7th through 12th grade. There were signs that you must shower before entering the pool and we always showered afterwards to rinse the chlorine off. I can assure you that no one "associated showering with a prison like environment were homosexuality is a threat."

I have three children and understand that showering after gym class ended sometime between the 1970s and the end of the century. My kids played sports and never showered after practices or games. I have taught junior high swimming and students still shower before and after. The problem is getting them to leave the warm shower and enter the not so warm pool.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "athletics," but I had swimming class from 7th through 12th grade. There were signs that you must shower before entering the pool and we always showered afterwards to rinse the chlorine off. I can assure you that no one "associated showering with a prison like environment were homosexuality is a threat."

I have three children and understand that showering after gym class ended sometime between the 1970s and the end of the century. My kids played sports and never showered after practices or games. I have taught junior high swimming and students still shower before and after. The problem is getting them to leave the warm shower and enter the not so warm pool.
PE in middle school and cross country and track in HS.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:

It's the propaganda of American Culture. American culture equates nudity with homosexual and than uses it ass a tool of oppresion. They stoped in HS's due to the whole hysterial about pedophilia but it's still used in prison and the millitary were there is little privacy.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
It's the propaganda of American Culture. American culture equates nudity with homosexual and than uses it ass a tool of oppresion. They stoped in HS's due to the whole hysterial about pedophilia but it's still used in prison and the millitary were there is little privacy.
No, American culture does not equate nudity with homosexuality. Homosexuals are a diestinct minority despite the publicity with gay marriage. I spent time in the Army and never encountered homosexuality or oppression related to it. I don't understand where you are getting these bizarre ideas.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
I always thought I had to take a shower after gym cuz I stunk. I thought the only thing oppressive going on was my smell when I didn't shower. I'm glad Dave came along to open my eyes.

I never knew showering could leave me feeling so dirty!

Old 10-04-2015, 11:07 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
I never had to shower in HS but always associated public showering with a prison like environment where homosexuality is a threat.
That's not homosexuality. That's rape. It's called rape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events