Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:54 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,250,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Mandarin will never become as prevalent as the other globalized languages.

Mandarin is spoken in really just one part of the world - China - and China has a demographic problem. By the end of the century China's population will elderly and declining, just as Japan's is now (weren't people predicting Japanese as the next great language? How did that turn out?).
LOLLLLLL. Um, China's population is 1.3 billion+. What does their population aging have to do with the decline in use of their language? The fact that most manufacturing is done over in Asia must not matter to you. Mandarin is also spoken in Taiwan and Singapore, FYI.

Quote:
Then don't speak Spanish. Learn French or Arabic. Both are more versatile globally than Chinese. Or you can learn to speak one of several Native American languages and help save them from extinction.
Did you even READ what you quoted from my post?

Quote:
I have no desire to speak Spanish (I was exposed to it from 3rd grade onward), I grew up around a lot of Spanish speaking people. It doesn't mean I only want to speak English; I am learning another language - Spanish just isn't it. Americans already have to take a year's worth of foreign language in college, if not also in high school. It doesn't mean they'll be conversational or even use it. For many, it's use it or lose it. Given most people in America go about their day-today speaking English, I don't see why they need to be forced into being bilingual, especially English/Spanish.
I'm actually learning Mandarin right now, hopefully Cantonese later. My spouse is Chinese so while you might not think it's "globally versatile" it's good enough for my in-laws and myself. It will probably open up a lot more business opportunities than Spanish ever would for me. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 01:25 AM

563 posts, read 525,058 times
No. You can learn every language you want to for your work or personal life, but English is the official language of the US. That is the way that it.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:31 AM

525 posts, read 816,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
When I attended high school in California, we could choose German, French or Spanish classes. No offense meant, but the A and B students took French or German, while the C and below students signed up for Spanish. Why? Because Spanish is a much easier language to learn.
In Poland they teach English, French and German in schools. Besides English as second language, I learned both French and German. French was easier than german, especially with pronunciation.

To foreigners Polish is difficult to learn. "sz" will be spelled "s", cz "c", instead of pszczoła (bee) https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pszczo%C5%82a

Old 07-04-2015, 07:59 AM

63,004 posts, read 29,216,871 times
The only reason that Spanish is increasing in this country is directly due to illegal immigration. I'll be damned if native English speakers or any other ethnic group/race should have to learn Spanish for that reason.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:39 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,129,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
No. You can learn every language you want to for your work or personal life, but English is the official language of the US. That is the way that it.
No, there is no official language of the US.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:40 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,469,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The only reason that Spanish is increasing in this country is directly due to illegal immigration. I'll be damned if native English speakers or any other ethnic group/race should have to learn Spanish for that reason.
And you'll be damned when native English speakers who refuse to learn another language, especially Spanish, are locked out of job opportunities.

In any case, this native English speaker is happy to be part of the Spanish-speaking majority. It has served my personal and professional life well.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:57 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And you'll be damned when native English speakers who refuse to learn another language, especially Spanish, are locked out of job opportunities.

In any case, this native English speaker is happy to be part of the Spanish-speaking majority. It has served my personal and professional life well.
Why would that be? Most jobs have no need for bi-lingualism in this country. Spanish speaking majority? When did that happen? You must not have a normal/regular job in this country if you needed Spanish to be a part of your qualifications. You need it in your personal life? Why is that? Most Hispanic-Americans know English so why would you need to communicate with them in Spanish?

Old 07-05-2015, 05:20 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,338,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Please explain to me what you meant then. You gushed about the beauty of seeing Jewish, Indian, etc. families but cannot speak about how useful or not useful this diversity is if different types of people can't communicate and remain segregated.

Then you support discriminatory hiring practices in the private sector, which is anti-American and a violation of our civil rights law.
I don't support discrimination.

I don't believe that companies need to be told who to hire outside of current anti-discrimination laws. If a Chinese restaurant only wants to hire Chinese people who know how to make Chinese food, I don't care.

My gushing over the beautiful diversity of my city meant nothing other than I enjoy seeing people of different cultures living together peacefully. Nothing more, nothing less. Read into it what you must to make some kind of point that you are obviously trying so hard make. That's all you.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
When I attended high school in California, we could choose German, French or Spanish classes. No offense meant, but the A and B students took French or German, while the C and below students signed up for Spanish. Why? Because Spanish is a much easier language to learn.

During the 14 months my family lived in Germany while Dad was on sabbatical leave, we had to learn German and adopt the country's customs. It was respectful, as we were guests in that country.

Why shouldn't the Spanish speakers here in the States learn English? I know English is a difficult language, but if one comes to this country, s/he can proudly become bilingual instead of us bending over backwards for the non-natives. California has its ballots printed in 28 languages. How unfair of us to only cater to Spanish speakers, doncha think? It doesn't matter what percentage of the population is native Spanish speakers, the U.S. has had English as its language since this country was founded over 200 years ago. As mentioned before, English is the business language of the world.
As someone who did not take Spanish, I'd say those who did were smarter than those of us who took German and French. Bilingual skills, notably Spanish/English, is an excellent skill to have in today's American job marketplace.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
The United States has NO official language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events