Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 04:05 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Wondering if this scumbag was one of the many "homeless" in the area.
I was wondering that as well. To me, the surprise is that this happened relatively early in the evening (only 6:30 PM, with the sun still up). That area is touristy during working hours, but it can become pretty empty and quite skeevy later at night (as the area across the street from the Ferry Building is primarily a business district, so there's not a lot going on there after hours).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 04:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I have been to SF several times and have been to the ferry building. Not sure the exact times..but I never thought of that particular area being sketchy, just because there are so many tourists,etc.

An area like the Tenderloin I feel is a lot different.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
A seven time felon who had been deported five times, and was busted for drugs four months ago, while still being able to remain here.

The idiots running our country are putting us all at risk on a number of fronts.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A seven time felon who had been deported five times, and was busted for drugs four months ago, while still being able to remain here.

The idiots running our country are putting us all at risk on a number of fronts.
I don't know how the people that allowed him to remain can sleep at night .

Old 07-03-2015, 04:37 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
I have been to SF several times and have been to the ferry building. Not sure the exact times..but I never thought of that particular area being sketchy, just because there are so many tourists,etc.
Have you ever actually stayed there? I have, in a cute boutique hotel (the Hotel Vitale, which is almost directly across the street from the Ferry building). During the day the area feels just fine, but after dark - my God, it's like the Mole People suddenly come out of hiding. Since the surrounding neighborhood is mostly a business district, there's not a lot down there in terms of restaurants and entertainment options to attract "normal" people, and lots of crazy homeless people are suddenly everywhere. I'm not someone who's easily spooked, but I felt quite unsafe walking around there after 8 or so in the evening.

Quote:
An area like the Tenderloin I feel is a lot different.
The Tenderloin is different during the day, yes. But one of the unsettling things about SF is that in the evenings stuff you'd normally only expect to see in neighborhoods like the Tenderloin starts happening elsewhere (like open drug dealing and "working girls" plying their wares on the section of Market Street directly across from the Palace Hotel). And the city has far more than its fair share of homeless crazy people. The city just feels "edgier" to me even in the good areas than most major cities (and I don't mean 'edgy" in a good way).

Old 07-03-2015, 04:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Nor do I. I think if I were the parents I'd be suing everyone and their brother for not doing their job.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Apparently there should be many people unable to sleep at night.

Most unfortunately and sadly, this young woman's family will have many sleepless nights as well.
ICE said in a statement that Sanchez was turned over to the San Francisco Police Department this past March on an outstanding drug warrant and that the department requested that police notify ICE prior to his release so ICE officers could make arrangements to take custody.

However, police did not honor the detainer, ICE said, adding that the case "illustrates the importance of jurisdictions working with ICE in order to avoid needless tragedy in their communities."

According to Freya Horne, a lawyer for the Sheriff's Department, the city only turns over illegal immigrants if there's an active warrant for their arrest, the AP said.

San Francisco Woman Shot, Killed While Strolling on Pier with Father in 'Random Shooting' - ABC News

Old 07-03-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Have you ever actually stayed there? I have, in a cute boutique hotel (the Hotel Vitale, which is almost directly across the street from the Ferry building). During the day the area feels just fine, but after dark - my God, it's like the Mole People suddenly come out of hiding. Since the surrounding neighborhood is mostly a business district, there's not a lot down there in terms of restaurants and entertainment options to attract "normal" people, and lots of crazy homeless people are suddenly everywhere. I'm not someone who's easily spooked, but I felt quite unsafe walking around there after 8 or so in the evening.

The Tenderloin is different during the day, yes. But one of the unsettling things about SF is that in the evenings stuff you'd normally only expect to see in neighborhoods like the Tenderloin starts happening elsewhere (like open drug dealing and "working girls" plying their wares on the section of Market Street directly across from the Palace Hotel). And the city has far more than its fair share of homeless crazy people. The city just feels "edgier" to me even in the good areas than most major cities (and I don't mean 'edgy" in a good way).
This is the downside of having too 'liberal' of a mentality.

San Francisco has and other cities have had history of allowing vice in certain districts.

I think many people don't think this still happens but it does.

I've stayed in Fisherman's Wharf area before. I don't remember it being super crazy, but I live in L.A so maybe that's why.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Apparently there should be many people unable to sleep at night.

Most unfortunately and sadly, this young woman's family will have many sleepless nights as well.
ICE said in a statement that Sanchez was turned over to the San Francisco Police Department this past March on an outstanding drug warrant and that the department requested that police notify ICE prior to his release so ICE officers could make arrangements to take custody.

However, police did not honor the detainer, ICE said, adding that the case "illustrates the importance of jurisdictions working with ICE in order to avoid needless tragedy in their communities."

According to Freya Horne, a lawyer for the Sheriff's Department, the city only turns over illegal immigrants if there's an active warrant for their arrest, the AP said.

San Francisco Woman Shot, Killed While Strolling on Pier with Father in 'Random Shooting' - ABC News
Something needs to change, this is not right.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
What ends up happening , since a long wags back. An "immigrant" influx, gone over the top, pushing outward and staking out ground. Straining at the borders between the established and what they would see it made into. Pushing the established population out, and remaking the vacated space. Filling vaccums isn't any problem.

San Francisco did this to themselves. Being a "sanctuary city", they've thrown open the doors, and laid down the red carpet, for a total makeover of the city. Despite a skyrocketing number of incidents like the one being discussed here, the general attitude that they are doing the good and right thing , prevails. They see the city as a shining beacon of hope, state ding with open arms. What they don't see, is what WAS once beautiful being torn to shreds.

It equates to being so tender hearted, as to allow mice and other vermin, to propagate in your house, rather than limiting their numbers to at least manageable, if not convincing them to seek life elsewhere, altogether. Pretty soon you're hip deep in them. They're into your food, your bedding, your space, in general. Left unchecked, the situation will rapidly become a total loss.
OK, so do we know that it was other immigrants who attacked the news crews?

Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events