Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:30 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,145,247 times

Advertisements

Should we allow people over a certain age to take a student loan(s)? I know a person that is still that’s in there 40’s that is still aimlessly wandering around a private university with the assistance of student loans. They’ve been doing this on and off for the last few years.

The scary part is there’s a strong possibility they’ll end up taking these loans to their grave with no ROI. They told me what the balance was a few years ago and I all I could do was face palm.

Retirement & Student Loans: Student Loan Crisis Affects Retirement Savings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 11:44 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
So a person in their 40's is considered a senior citizen now?

Old 07-05-2015, 11:46 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Should we allow people over a certain age to take a student loan(s)? I know a person that is still that’s in there 40’s that is still aimlessly wandering around a private university with the assistance of student loans. They’ve been doing this on and off for the last few years.

The scary part is there’s a strong possibility they’ll end up taking these loans to their grave with no ROI. They told me what the balance was a few years ago and I all I could do was face palm.

Retirement & Student Loans: Student Loan Crisis Affects Retirement Savings
If it's a private university, aren't there more stringent requirements for entrance? I would assume, other than the individual's age, they earned their right to be there.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:47 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Yeah, get out The Depends, and ICY HOT. Make sure your mattress protector is plastic!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:50 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Start the Carousel....Logans Run.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:03 PM

379 posts, read 359,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
If it's a private university, aren't there more stringent requirements for entrance? I would assume, other than the individual's age, they earned their right to be there.
Many private universities and colleges are less competitive than their public counterparts. If you can afford to pay, you're in. An example would be Santa Clara University, vs. any school in the UC system. In fact, many private schools target older "non traditional" students with night and weekend programs, or programs specifically for retired seniors.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:58 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Apparently, we are.

The nerve of us old folk, wanting an education.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:01 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
Not EVERYONE needs or is suitable for a college/univeristy education. Many folks will do very well by learning a trade...I always need folks to help me do something or another...things I don't know how to do on my own! We need folks who can lay bricks, or fix cars, or wire your home, fix your yard,.... How about industry...making steel, or cars or many of the things we are currently paying China for.

There are State and Community colleges...where you can get he bulk of your education without the high price tag. And, if you are in school more than 4 years for a Bachelors...then something is wrong. Finish early...get out and start earning money! Pay back your debts!

Old 07-05-2015, 02:08 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,145,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Apparently, we are.

The nerve of us old folk, wanting an education.
I never said that someone in there 40’s was a senior citizen, but since we’re going that route I got a few things to add. If you’re over the age of 35 and attending a four-year college fulltime you’re a senior citizen, no lets make that a dinosaur.

There’s not going to be much if any return on that investment, but so few in academia want to admit that. I guess we can talk about personal growth, but that won’t pay anyone’s bills but the university’s.

I just can’t see any reason why we the taxpayers are underwriting thousands of dollars in loans for people that are half spent. I could see taking a class for CEU to keep a professional license or brushing up on some sort of skill, but to tackle a degree program?

It’s going to be fun watching these boomers reap the fruits from the seeds they’re sowing. That person I know in there 40’s a Gen X-er, well they’ll hoe the road right behind them, but hey that four-year degree sure looks pretty in the frame

Old 07-05-2015, 02:13 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,661,647 times
No taxpayer is underwriting my student loan.

I'm paying what I owe out of my own pocket, every month. I have paid my loan's on time and never missed a payment, nor seek to try to worm my way out of what I owe.

I value my education and it has proven its worth to me, despite it not being a STEM degree.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events