Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times

Advertisements

In theory I'd leave, but the problem is I'm not sure what place is better. Our crap country is still better than the other, crappier countries but that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

I don't particularly feel much kinship for other Americans anymore either. I really don't have much in common in terms of values or beliefs with someone from California, Maryland or New York. I feel state and regional loyalty, but in my mind, much of the rest of the US might as well be another country.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Let's help show them the way out!
In Atlanta, we have a saying for people who move in from up north and then complain about living in the South. It fits pretty well here too..."Delta is ready when you are."

Old 07-08-2015, 09:21 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
It's kinda funny and ironic how the 1/3 seem to think that the other countries would just let them waltz in simply because they are, gulp, Americans. Contrary to popular belief here, we are not revered everywhere.

Mick

Old 07-08-2015, 09:49 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
People do move around and leaving can be for a week or forever.

Having lived in Europe... I met plenty with ties to America... some were students and others had no intentions of going back... either by having a European spouse or simply returning to where they are from...

I have a very good friend from High School... his Grandparents were born in Ireland and he was able to get an Irish passport based on this.

Another friend had a father born in Switzerland and he has both Swiss and American passports... it is probably more common than one would think.

A coworker lived in Canada for decades... his family fled the US to avoid the draft when his brother was called up... they packed everything into an old U-haul and spent almost a day on the border and were allowed entry... his parents left everything else behind because they were not going to let their son be drafted... my friend said it was interesting being 12 at the time...

Old 07-08-2015, 09:50 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can't imagine why conservatives would consider leaving the U.S. This place is as close as it gets to a conservative nirvana.
Alot of conservatives, especially down south, feel the "real America" is no more thanks to exodus of the rebel flag, same sex marriage legalization, obamacare, political correctness, "Obama is racist", #blacklivesmatter, the liberal media, etc.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:52 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
So what's stopping them from leaving...?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:53 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Alot of conservatives, especially down south, feel the "real America" is no more thanks to exodus of the rebel flag, same sex marriage legalization, obamacare, political correctness, "Obama is racist", #blacklivesmatter, the liberal media, etc.
True. They'd leave right now. If they had a passport.

Mick

Old 07-08-2015, 09:54 AM

379 posts, read 359,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
So what's stopping them from leaving...?
They are broke, don't have passports, don't have skills that are worth anything in the global economy, don't know any other languages, and most countries don't make it easy for Americans to move there.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Have you ever been to Canada?

The truth is that Canada is what the USA is turning into.

Canada doesn't have nearly as much of an issue with its disappearing middle class and massive income gaps.
Canada isn't constantly waging large-scale wars in the middle-east or picking fights with Russia.
Canada doesn't live in as much fear of massive terrorist attacks. The few isolated incidents that have occurred up there resulted in single digit victims and weren't directly related to any foreign entity. Here, we're always threatened by terrorist organizations, whole countries, princes, etc., and as such, our military lives on edge.
Canada doesn't have the racial problems we have here, with people going nuts over police shootings and race-riots erupting.
Crime in Canada is extremely low, especially the murder rate, when compared to the U.S.

Not saying Canada is perfect at all, but in truth, Canada and the U.S. used to be similar, but are now heading in two completely different directions: one for the better, one for the worst.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:58 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
People do leave and return...

Met an interesting older couple... they were very much involved with the Gore campaign and when Bush won... they immigrated to New Zealand... lived there a number of years and missed family back home... so they loaded up a sea container, sold their home in New Zealand and moved back...

He said it was not difficult for them to move to New Zealand... he had sufficient assets and no criminal history... both were also highly educated... his wife holds a Doctorate in Education and he has a Master in Finance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events