Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 04:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times

Advertisements

For those wishing to leave the USA rather than work to fix its problems your move may just subject you to that other countries problems ,eg; Canada has long cold winters=
https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpr...copy.jpg?w=620

Old 07-07-2015, 04:31 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For those wishing to leave the USA rather than work to fix its problems your move may just subject you to that other countries problems ,eg; Canada has long cold winters=

The problem is they are not being fixed they are however whining about them yet no action is being taken. Look at the majority of posts here neither the left or the right has any real solutions to what's happening to this country. Everyone is too busy over whose right instead of using common sense, oh wait this country has none.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:06 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
A third of Americans would leave America (I don't know how they came up with that figure), yet 99.999% would never act on it, IMO.
It was a biased selection. The poll respondents were people who already had one foot out the door or were already living abroad.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The problem is they are not being fixed they are however whining about them yet no action is being taken. Look at the majority of posts here neither the left or the right has any real solutions to what's happening to this country. Everyone is too busy over whose right instead of using common sense, oh wait this country has none.
As i am Canadian i was under the impression America was the best country in the world,my occasional trips to the USA has me seeing much to be thankful for,thinking all countries of the world have some problem or other what is it that needs to be fixed in America ?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It was a biased selection. The poll respondents were people who already had one foot out the door or were already living abroad.
THIS!

Great Scott; if you ask a specific demographic that has already demonstrated they would move elsewhere if seeking an opportunity, IF they would be willing to move elsewhere; what in the h**l would one expect would be the answer?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:52 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's kind of a meaningless poll without people saying where they'd emigrate to. Most Americans don't really know other countries well enough to make an informed decision in that regard. For example, once relocated, they'd probably hate and complain bitterly about, their chosen country's taxation system. Everyone wants freebies as long as they don't have to pay for them. And most Americans don't have a clear idea on the political issues in other countries, either. The conservatives would end up complaining about the local liberal parties, and the progressive people would end up complaining about all manner of things.

And then, there would be the weather, and other trivial things. Poor customer service, or whatever. I imagine that most of the people polled either have no idea where they'd want to relocate, or wouldn't be happy once they got there.
They'd likely have to give up their firearms as well, which would leave them as sitting ducks.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 AM

914 posts, read 973,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They'd likely have to give up their firearms as well, which would leave them as sitting ducks.
I come from the UK and we don't have firearms. I never feel like a sitting duck at all and most of our police are not armed either. By the same token we don't have many incidents where nutters go into schools and kill lots of students.I didn't live in a crime free area but never felt unsafe walking home or riding the subway late at night and I have done many times alone. We have had a couple of incidents in schools but this has made us disarm rather than arm ourselves more and I am in favour of this. I agree the US has plenty to offer in terms of opportunities but I would not always say its the land of the free, or maybe its where I live.It is amazing a young person can arm themselves with a weapon younger than they can drink!and the solution in my opinion when people are harmed with weapons is not to get more weapons but that's just my personal opinion. Hardly any of Europe or other countries are armed and we survive fine.

I found I could be more open with opinions with others in the UK than I could here and people were more accepting of this. Sometimes here in the US you feel you have to dilute what you say or people look upon you unfavourably. I also like the fact that the UK is more secular and no one cares what your religious persuasion is or lack of it or what race you are, we are British if we were born or have grown up there regardless of race we don't have anglo-polish or Anglo-American so people are not so catagorized. You just go about your life as you wish and mix with all regardless of religion or race. We are not perfect but I certainly find the UK an extremely liberal and tolerant country to live. It's only when you move away and out of it you realise how much(so the grass is greener comments come into lay here )

The quality of life in the US is amazing and my children love it here but I do miss being able to walk to a lot of places rather than drive ,and public transport(even when its bad!) as I feel that the spontaneity of a night out here is curbed by the fact it has to be planned if you want to go out for a drink as you either have to pay $$ for a taxi or drive , especially as people are more spread out. I think also a lot of Europe has more global awareness than here as we travel more because most of it is only 2/3 hours away and also the media report more world issues. Sometimes here I have no idea what is going on in the world never mind the in the next state!

The people here are helpful and I certainly think the US has a great deal going for it in terms of opportunity and certainly weather! But like others say its good to experience a different culture which we can alot in Europe due to it all being so close to access. Sometimes the grass it is true is not greener and life is about compromise. I enjoy living here but there will always be aspects of the UK that I miss and sometimes you make your own opportunity.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 AM

137 posts, read 177,514 times
I have always said I wanted to try living in Australia! But who knows if I will ever even do it LOL

Old 07-07-2015, 08:36 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sorry I work, so you can put that limited idea out of your head. It's just that Canadians do an honest day's work and get something for their return. As for long cold winters, what's so bad about cold weather? Cold weather kills red ants, termites, ticks, and other creepy crawlies. The fact that you are afraid of -20 degree weather shows who the weak lazy types are..... are you too lazy to snow blow, shovel, deal with deflated tires, and get into a car when it's freezing cold?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:39 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I don't know why they don't just leave, then. I get annoyed by Americans who constantly put down fellow Americans in favor of Europeans. It's obnoxious.
Well, we are fat and loud, and unapologetic about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events