Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 07:05 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

To help speed things up, read this:
I like to speak in terms of reality, not hypothetical impossibilities. Our countries very founding and guiding document we cherish above dynastic rulers, says we have God given inalienable rights, gun ownership being one of them, PERIOD.
So comparisons to other countries is really an exercise in futility. Aside from that, some other countries have draconian penalties that would never pass Constitutional muster, having nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment. They also have very different cultures, and do not face some of the racial/socioeconomic issues we have. Needless to say examples of low violent crime in gun laden cultures like the Swiss have, just goes to show the other side can play the same games.

Even with all of that aside, your attempt to demonize the tool vs. the root cause of evil (i.e. human injustice) if flawed from the get go.
Your best bet for this country is to try an come up with solutions based on achievable goals, such as education, improved economic status, reintroduction of religious values, etc. which all can help to reduce the murder rate.

Liberal pie in the sky Utopian dreams will never achieve anything tangible.

`
`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:01 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Most people are concerned about the general well-being of all others. If there is any disconnect as to any RACE not showing any real concern for others, it appears to lean heavily towards black people not giving a rip about other black people's lives OR property.

OMG sent Rev. Al out to find me. I said something not PC.
I pray you're wrong. I suspect you're right.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:03 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I like to speak in terms of reality, not hypothetical impossibilities. Our countries very founding and guiding document we cherish above dynastic rulers, says we have God given inalienable rights, gun ownership being one of them, PERIOD.
So comparisons to other countries is really an exercise in futility. Aside from that, some other countries have draconian penalties that would never pass Constitutional muster, having nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment. They also have very different cultures, and do not face some of the racial/socioeconomic issues we have. Needless to say examples of low violent crime in gun laden cultures like the Swiss have, just goes to show the other side can play the same games.

Even with all of that aside, your attempt to demonize the tool vs. the root cause of evil (i.e. human injustice) if flawed from the get go.
Your best bet for this country is to try an come up with solutions based on achievable goals, such as education, improved economic status, reintroduction of religious values, etc. which all can help to reduce the murder rate.

Liberal pie in the sky Utopian dreams will never achieve anything tangible.

`
`
I've always said that every meeting whether business, political, religious, or what ever should have at least one liberal/idealist on the panel to originate utopian, if the world was a perfect place ideas. These often totally unreachable suggestions in the business world is called brainstorming. No comment is ridiculed or ignored because sometimes something stated by Mr. Idealist can be utilized in forming real concrete ideas. Often, this different perspective brings up ideas that would not have been thought of otherwise.

You take this one idealist and surround him/her with realists in order to achieve a tangible, workable result to whatever the panel was formulated for.

This is the kind of "panels" this country needs now in government and our Supreme Court.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:06 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
I've always said that every meeting whether business, political, religious, or what ever should have at least one liberal/idealist on the panel to originate utopian, if the world was a perfect place ideas.
Hopefully you'd have a pragmatist there as well.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:43 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
I've always said that every meeting whether business, political, religious, or what ever should have at least one liberal/idealist on the panel to originate utopian, if the world was a perfect place ideas. These often totally unreachable suggestions in the business world is called brainstorming. No comment is ridiculed or ignored because sometimes something stated by Mr. Idealist can be utilized in forming real concrete ideas. Often, this different perspective brings up ideas that would not have been thought of otherwise.

You take this one idealist and surround him/her with realists in order to achieve a tangible, workable result to whatever the panel was formulated for.

This is the kind of "panels" this country needs now in government and our Supreme Court.
For starters, I was going to defer to you in your general commentary because you might have tangible experience with an idealist working for your type of business model.

However I also know that putting a person who can think outside of the box per se can accomplish the same type of thing, and conservatives certainly can do that. So a formula with a bunch of savvy pragmatists along with someone who thinks out side of the box might be a decent idea in certain industries.

That said, you certain blew it with your last sentence. That is if you meant to imply we need a liberal idealist on the SCOTUS, because there are already far too many of them. You really couldn't get someone more liberal than the 3 women on the court. Plus the SCOTUS is not suppose to decide what laws might have a positive/negative effect on society as that is not in their job description. Instead they are suppose to blindly, impartially, and without personal bias decide on whether the law or suit brought passes Constitutional muster. It should also be based on what the Founding Fathers and the people who ratified it meant the words to mean at the time of it's creation.

Now I have of course heard the refrain that our FF's couldn't have foreseen some of the issues we have today. While this is certainly an accurate comment, if the Constitution does not speak to the issue, then it is the responsibility of one of the other two branches of government in our Republic to do their jobs. That is the responsibility of the Congress and WH.
Another words, it does not give unelected judges with lifetime tenure permission to become our dictators. The SCOTUS was never suppose to make laws, or by extension have their decisions become law.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:57 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Doesn't make sense to me, either.
Yet, you're the one who came up with it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events