Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 AM

137 posts, read 177,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Not to each other...only when another race kills them.
You are correct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:34 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I was a machinist. If guns became illegal anyone with machining knowledge could buy a mill and a lathe in their garage and manufacture guns.

If you are a machinist you know this is already commonplace in the USA and you don't need a mill as a good drill press will work.

The AK-47 is such a simplistic rifle one can be made with hand tools in a shed and have been for years. The receiver, the part of the gun registered with the ATF, is but stamped steel. Every other part can be ordered on the internet or bought from private parties. America!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Overall I doubt if higher prices will slow down gun ownership among criminals as usually they do not pay for their guns.
I'm curious why you say that because there are endless reports of criminals paying for guns. Who do you think are buying illegal guns in black market Australia or gun running to Mexico?

Yes, homemade guns would surge after a gun ban, but let's face it, most criminals do not know how to make guns. That's why in developed countries with strict gun laws, gangs like Hell Angels are actively recruiting anyone they can find who knows how to make firearms. And these homemade guns are not going to make a dent in the black market. Australian gangs have homemade guns too, and a handgun still cost $15,000 and up. Think about that. If homemade guns are the solution why are criminals still paying through their noses to buy guns?

I've never said there will be zero guns on the street, but there will be much, much less guns and violence connected to guns. And gun crimes will be rare and mostly involve large criminal gangs settling score while petty armed robbery and armed home invasion would be virtually nil. In this world, if someone is out to put a bullet in you, you have pissed off the wrong group; and what you need to protect yourself is not a gun but a witness protection program.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:35 PM

922 posts, read 807,303 times
Let me guess, all black victims? Why do white people even care about black on black crime? Haven't you heard of the phrase, two birds one stone?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:47 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,079,203 times
Warzone!

Old 07-07-2015, 01:44 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,820,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Let me guess, all black victims? Why do white people even care about black on black crime? Haven't you heard of the phrase, two birds one stone?
As a responsible gun owner I don't want to see anyone of any color victimized by someone using a gun.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:08 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,025,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The first thing you need to understand is what tight gun laws do to the price of firearms... yes the price will skyrocket... by a huge margin.

A semi-auto handgun in Australia cost how much? $1,000? $2,000? $4,000? $8,000? Nooo, a semi-auto handgun will set a criminal back $15,000 in Australia. $15,000 for a handgun, that is not a typo.

Tell me, how does the average criminal afford to pay that amount for a gun? Answer: they can't. Most criminals can't afford to have guns. They will have to make do without it.

Now, what effect does a $15,000 handgun has on the criminal world?

- It makes no economic sense to buy a $15,000 gun just for robbery or home invasion. That criminal would have to make close to 100 successful heists without getting caught just to recoup the cost. Not to mention criminals who have $15,000 sitting around is not your average criminals that would want to rob people. As a result, you will see gun robbery/invasion virtually disappear.

- The circulation of guns in the criminal world will be drastically reduced. To the point where gun violence is extremely rare.

- Most criminals will not have access to guns.

- Well funded large criminal organization can afford to have guns, and they will guard guns like gold and only disperse the weapons for use in very extreme circumstance. Again, this means gun violence will be extremely rare.

- Some criminals will retort to renting guns. This creates a unique dynamics - if said criminal behave recklessly and get arrested at the scene (where the gun is confiscated) or loses the gun, the criminal loses the "deposit", not to mention will likely be barred from renting the gun again and faces ridicule from his comrades who need said gun. So there is an economic and pride interest to be "responsible" in using of said gun.

- Crazy nutjobs who wants to shoot up a theatre likely will not be able to afford a rifle (which obviously would cost more than $15,000) unless the crazy nutjob happens to be very rich. You will see mass shooting disappear.

Now, for people who just want a gun for protection. I always say if that's your motivation then you should champion banning all guns and arming yourself with a knife. you stand a much better chance against an intruder with a knife than one with a gun, even if you do have one yourself. Think about it, the assailant can ambush you with a gun and you may never know what is happening before you're dead. But with a knife, you stand a much better chance of fighting back against surprise attack. It's common sense.
Oh dear, you've got it all figured out, don't ya? This is what I don't like about liberals. They live in a fairy tale land and come up with stupid ideas without thinking about the big picture. I think a lot of them mean well, but they're so damn unrealistic.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:26 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Some people's logic - since some people are obtaining and using guns illegally, we need to make laws that prevent everyone from owning or reasonably obtaining a gun. The majority of gun owners obtained and use the guns in a legal manner, yet some people think they need to be punished because a minority few obtain and use guns in an illegal manner.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:28 PM

545 posts, read 595,053 times
And I don't remember seeing anything in the Chicago forum on this?? I guess poor ole lil ghetto childrun lives don't matter!

Old 07-07-2015, 03:22 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Oh dear, you've got it all figured out, don't ya? This is what I don't like about liberals. They live in a fairy tale land and come up with stupid ideas without thinking about the big picture. I think a lot of them mean well, but they're so damn unrealistic.
I didn't figure it out. I just reported what's happening in a developed country (Australia) that banned guns. You can dispute the why but you can't dispute the fact.

But you seem to think that Australia is a fairy tale land, so I suspect it is just going to fall on deaf ears.

Last edited by beb0p; 07-07-2015 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events