Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 01:31 PM

379 posts, read 359,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
And for information about Texas.

The 13 states that made up the Confederate States of America were North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Texas, Florida, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky and Missouri.

Can anyone find Texas in the bunch? Look carefully, and you may find that Texas is a Southern state.
The topic was modern positives about the south, and the most recent side discussion was the 'new south.' Yet you're bringing up the Confederacy, which has not existed for 150 years. Most of the comments about Texas status is that SE Texas is 'southern' (meaning culturally southern) but the rest of the state is either 'Texan' or 'southwestern.' In addition, being in the confederacy does not imply 'southern culture' today. South Florida, even though it is the most southern place in the USA, is not considered to have a 'southern' culture. The largest cities in Missouri, STL and KC are also not 'southern' in the cultural sense.

In any case, my initial comment was that RDT, Charlotte and Atlanta were the primary powerhouses in the 'new south.' Additionally Nashville was added, as well as cities in Virginia and SC. Virginia is doing well but I am assuming it's mostly Fairfax county and am not sure I agree about Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 01:34 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've read post after post the last few days by Southerns who say or imply that Northerners should try to understand Southern pride. Okay, this thread was an opportunity for Southerners to explain some modern elements of what there is to be proud of in the South. But no, you don't have to explain, but then don't complain when Northerners "don't get it".

The premise of the whole thread was that there are undoubtedly good things about "the New South". I was just asking what Southerners see as their highlights in today's world.

Geesh.
What do you mean the new south. Since 1877?
I doubt there is anyone on this board old enough to remember.

"Modern elements" that we are proud of, would you like to elaborate?

Not knowing exactly what you are getting at I'll say as far as the south as a whole I see pride that despite being an impoverished area and at an industrial and economic disadvantage since the reconstruction while basically being treated as inferior second class citizens and outcasts by the rest of the country the south has managed, despite the obstacles, to hold its head high and improve our economic conditions and general quality of life, hold onto and defend much of our heritage of limited government control, personal freedoms, hard work, religion freedoms, even our food and music which often seem to come under attack.

I'm 53 and have lived in the south for 39 years. There are good and not so good things about every region of this country. I have seen social progress over the years. Despite the south's reputation for racial relations we seem to be in pretty good shape compared to other areas of the country. People like to point the racist finger at the south and forget that the north was just as racist. I see a great improvement in diversity and relations here since the 70's but that can be said for the north as well.

Someone stated the south was the lowest preforming, economically this may be true. We are still catching up going from historically agricultural to industrial to technological. In ways due to our tax base public schools may not be on par with some northern schools. More $ better schools, more opportunity.

Its sad some people judge us on monetary output only.

On a personal level, I'm glad racial/cultural diversity has increased. Although I'm not especially religious I like that we have a strong religious community that reaches out to help others, keeps prayer in our hearts while remaining tolerant and un-intrusive on a personal level. I love the friendly people and sense of community, the lack of government intrusiveness, feeling safe to walk alone at night and conversate with total strangers in the city or in the woods . I like that I can carry a gun, shoot off fireworks, build a fire in my yard, park in the grass, don't have to have a license or permit for everything, say the pledge of allegiance before every ball game and public event and even bow my head in prayer or not. I am even starting to like a little country music, like a sip of real moonshine every now and again. Seriously, I even sometimes drive the pick up truck down to the river. I like that I can see the stars at night and listen to the crickets, katydids, frogs, occasional owl or coyote at night. I like the scenery, the hills, bluffs, rivers and lakes, local festivals, shindigs and bluegrass jams. I like that the ladies at my voting precinct make chili an pecan pie.

There are things I don't like, but for me those are the highlights. For some those things may be repulsive. I'm reluctant to change and "progress" I like my solitude, a slower less restrictive life and the outdoors. As far as the big picture, my state seems to be holding its own economically, we have lots of foreign students at our universities so our education system cant be that bad, our HS graduation rate is 12th, no race riots to my knowledge.

So, there are undoubtedly good things about the north, what do you see as your highlights in today's world?

Old 07-13-2015, 01:48 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
The topic was modern positives about the south, and the most recent side discussion was the 'new south.' Yet you're bringing up the Confederacy, which has not existed for 150 years. Most of the comments about Texas status is that SE Texas is 'southern' (meaning culturally southern) but the rest of the state is either 'Texan' or 'southwestern.' In addition, being in the confederacy does not imply 'southern culture' today. [b]South Florida, even though it is the most southern place in the USA [b], is not considered to have a 'southern' culture. The largest cities in Missouri, STL and KC are also not 'southern' in the cultural sense.

In any case, my initial comment was that RDT, Charlotte and Atlanta were the primary powerhouses in the 'new south.' Additionally Nashville was added, as well as cities in Virginia and SC. Virginia is doing well but I am assuming it's mostly Fairfax county and am not sure I agree about Richmond.
Hawaii is the most southern place in the U.S.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:57 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
It's been rather shocking to me also. It is hard for me to believe that thers is so much ignorance in this country. Must be "dem damn gubbermunt schools.
What ignorance? Yes, there've been a lot of people in this thread who are critical of the south, and as is always the case a lot of the Southerners are all pissy about it, but - where are we wrong? We've cited a lot of factual data and statistics demonstrating that once you get outside major metro areas like Nashville, Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, etc., the South lags way behind most of the rest of the country in terms of health, education, poverty, and numerous other metrics, and a lot of people clearly haven't been happy to hear about that, but - are we wrong?

Southerners don't like hearing all that about their home, and I can understand that. I probably wouldn't either. But the OP asked an honest question, and he got honest answers. Not our fault you don't like to hear it. It's not like we all ganged up on y'all and made all that up just for the hell of it.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 07-13-2015 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 04:13 PM

337 posts, read 405,940 times
The best parts of the "New South" are the more moderate to liberal cities like Austin, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Raleigh, Northern Virginia, Nashville etc.

Once you you get out of these cities and go into the real "Old South" rural parts, they are still mostly backwards and dumpy and people ain't exactly flocking to them.

Heck even in the big great red state of Texas, everyone and their mother wants to live in the most liberal city of Austin which is now pretty much as liberal as San Francisco.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:16 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
My guess would be stirring the pot of ignorance. Just read the threads, it is quite obvious.
I wasn't aware that you had to live in a place to care about part of America.

Second, while I have lived in Colorado for the past few years, most of my adult life I lived in the South.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:23 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What do you mean the new south. Since 1877?
I doubt there is anyone on this board old enough to remember.

"Modern elements" that we are proud of, would you like to elaborate?

Not knowing exactly what you are getting at I'll say as far as the south as a whole I see pride that despite being an impoverished area and at an industrial and economic disadvantage since the reconstruction while basically being treated as inferior second class citizens and outcasts by the rest of the country the south has managed, despite the obstacles, to hold its head high and improve our economic conditions and general quality of life, hold onto and defend much of our heritage of limited government control, personal freedoms, hard work, religion freedoms, even our food and music which often seem to come under attack.

I'm 53 and have lived in the south for 39 years. There are good and not so good things about every region of this country. I have seen social progress over the years. Despite the south's reputation for racial relations we seem to be in pretty good shape compared to other areas of the country. People like to point the racist finger at the south and forget that the north was just as racist. I see a great improvement in diversity and relations here since the 70's but that can be said for the north as well.

Someone stated the south was the lowest preforming, economically this may be true. We are still catching up going from historically agricultural to industrial to technological. In ways due to our tax base public schools may not be on par with some northern schools. More $ better schools, more opportunity.

Its sad some people judge us on monetary output only.

On a personal level, I'm glad racial/cultural diversity has increased. Although I'm not especially religious I like that we have a strong religious community that reaches out to help others, keeps prayer in our hearts while remaining tolerant and un-intrusive on a personal level. I love the friendly people and sense of community, the lack of government intrusiveness, feeling safe to walk alone at night and conversate with total strangers in the city or in the woods . I like that I can carry a gun, shoot off fireworks, build a fire in my yard, park in the grass, don't have to have a license or permit for everything, say the pledge of allegiance before every ball game and public event and even bow my head in prayer or not. I am even starting to like a little country music, like a sip of real moonshine every now and again. Seriously, I even sometimes drive the pick up truck down to the river. I like that I can see the stars at night and listen to the crickets, katydids, frogs, occasional owl or coyote at night. I like the scenery, the hills, bluffs, rivers and lakes, local festivals, shindigs and bluegrass jams. I like that the ladies at my voting precinct make chili an pecan pie.

There are things I don't like, but for me those are the highlights. For some those things may be repulsive. I'm reluctant to change and "progress" I like my solitude, a slower less restrictive life and the outdoors. As far as the big picture, my state seems to be holding its own economically, we have lots of foreign students at our universities so our education system cant be that bad, our HS graduation rate is 12th, no race riots to my knowledge.

So, there are undoubtedly good things about the north, what do you see as your highlights in today's world?
That's very nicely written. I can respect that.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:23 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Hey, we can all pick up our stuff and move if we really wanted to. So be happy where you are . . . or move!

Mick

Old 07-13-2015, 04:35 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
The South is new and growing while the northeast is old, stagnant and falling apart. We used to visit our relatives up north and I couldn't help but notice how many places could only be described as sad.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:40 PM

337 posts, read 405,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The South is new and growing while the northeast is old, stagnant and falling apart. We used to visit our relatives up north and I couldn't help but notice how many places could only be described as sad.
Depends on which part of the NorthEast. Metropolitan areas like NYC, Boston, DC etc. are popular as ever and even moreso. Its the interior parts that are declining as baby boomers/ retirees move away to warmer parts of the country. Why would you want to put up with such horrible winters if you had a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events