Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:50 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I get this, but how many dads or moms go through a fake wedding ceremony with their kid because their four year old said, "I want to marry you, Daddy/Mommy?"

There's something "ew" about this to me, I can't help it and explanations don't make it better. I mean, he couldn't say, "Well, I can't marry you but I can be your best friend forever and that's even better," and then have something around that?
This is how I feel as well. Now, I am not ascribing any sinister motives whatsoever to the nurse, and I'm willing to bet that he genuinely loves this little girl (in a completely appropriate way) and merely wanted to do something to make her happy. I just think that the "best friend forever" route would have been a much better way to go about it. They could have had some kind of "BFF commitment ceremony" (like maybe exchanging lollipops or stuffed animals or something) and that would have been that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
If you don't get it, you're probably not a parent. If you're a parent and still don't get it, you probably shouldn't be a parent.
And there we have it folks. The bounding, leaping jumps of "logic" that qualify as intelligent discourse these days.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:13 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This is how I feel as well. Now, I am not ascribing any sinister motives whatsoever to the nurse, and I'm willing to bet that he genuinely loves this little girl (in a completely appropriate way) and merely wanted to do something to make her happy. I just think that the "best friend forever" route would have been a much better way to go about it. They could have had some kind of "BFF commitment ceremony" (like maybe exchanging lollipops or stuffed animals or something) and that would have been that.
LOL! What 4 yo is going to understand there is a difference? How would you suggest explaining a "commitment ceremony" to a 4 yo? Seriously, I am so baffled by why this is so bothersome. I guess I just lack whatever it is that makes this inappropriate in any way.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:50 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
LOL! What 4 yo is going to understand there is a difference? How would you suggest explaining a "commitment ceremony" to a 4 yo? Seriously, I am so baffled by why this is so bothersome. I guess I just lack whatever it is that makes this inappropriate in any way.
The 4 year old wouldn't have known the difference. But the adult nurse would. And in this one small way, he could have helped to guide this little girl, whom he obviously cares about, in the ways of the world and about how some things are appropriate in some situations with certain people, but not in others.

The little girl did nothing wrong. But IMO, the nurse, and the girl's parents, should have handled it in a different way.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:02 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,353 times
Quote:
The 4 year old wouldn't have known the difference. But the adult nurse would. And in this one small way, he could have helped to guide this little girl, whom he obviously cares about, in the ways of the world and about how some things are appropriate in some situations with certain people, but not in others.

The little girl did nothing wrong. But IMO, the nurse, and the girl's parents, should have handled it in a different way.
But the ways of her world are different than the norm. She will have no expectations. When my own sister was 5, she was in the hospital & became attached to a male nurse, who she referred to as her "boyfriend." When she was 6, she "married" a friend-of-the-family, who was 5 years her senior, at a school carnival. Neither relationship had any expectations, from either party. Seriously, she decided she was a cat around the same time and ate on the floor. My own daughter and her cousin (a girl) went through a "wedding" phase, where they would take turns being a bride. Sometimes the other was a groom, sometimes a stuffed animal stood in. Kids pretend all the time. Kids that age do not know, nor are they capable of understanding, what the realities of weddings/marriages are. They are very black/white about things. To this child, being married mostly means you get to be with your favorite person. And when a child is ill, it's not a time to have a big talk about the appropriateness of a relationship, when the child will NOT understand a word of it, nor will he/she benefit from a life-lesson at that point. If all adults concerned were comfortable with the situation, and it is a completely innocent game of pretend, why should it matter? Should they have denied this and told her the tooth fairy & Santa aren't real, too? Told her that Disney movies are all unrealistic and that none of her stuffed animals can really talk? She'll learn all that as she grows.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:12 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,422 times
Quote:
You do know that children that age often want to "marry" a parent, caregiver, best friend, pet, stuffed animal, etc., right? Marriage is a totally different concept for a very young child, and reflects an attachment that is nothing like the adult concept of marriage. If the nurse was happy to participate, and it made the child happy during treatment, what's the problem?
Boy are you correct. Will never forget when I was small wanting to marry my dad. My mother immediately squashed that idea by letting me know she was already married to him. I thought when reading this story it got a bit much but thats how things are handled now adays. Look how many sick children get to becomd Batman and other heros and an entire town supports them. Its something a child will remember their entire life. So be it and bless them.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:25 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,348 times
Quote:

Out of curiosity, how many 4 year olds have you personally dealt with for extended periods of time?

Because that's just not how it works.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:44 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times
Quote:
Because in two days, she'll have moved on to something else. I think people are putting this into actual "marriage" connotations, like he's some sort of sick pedophile & the parents are pandering their child. She is sick & had a heart's desire, which tomorrow might be to ride a unicorn. It's so totally harmless. And MANY kids play "wedding" and get married. Why do you think their are dress up wedding dresses sold? Why do Barbie & Ken have wedding garb? It's an INNOCENT fantasy. Totally innocent. There is absolutely no sexual connotation to it. Yeesh. I'm kind of creeped out about how many people are creeped out. Why do your minds go to a dark place so automatically?

And my son once gave me a gumball machine ring & said, "Now we're married like you & Daddy, and we can be together forever." I accepted it. He's much older now & understands that we aren't married, and has no desire to go there. I asked him about it, and he has no recollection of ever, ever wanting to be married to me. He moved on. It's a game, playing pretend. It likely made her feel better, and that may help her get better.
I literally can't help how I feel about this. As I said, no explanation will take away the fact that I immediately went "ew," which was not a thought-out response, it was visceral.

It's super cute and not creepy at all that your son gave you a gumball and said you and he were married (because he was a little kid), but did you, as the adult, then go ahead and create a whole ceremony around it and invite his and your friends? Gosh, I hope not.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:55 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I absolutely don't feel creeped out at all. I honestly don't know how, given that context and the child's age, people can find it creepy. The nurse wanted to bring a modicum of sunshine to a pretty sad situation, good for him. Childhood cancer is a terrible terrible thing. But eh...

Bless that little girl's heart. I hope she recovers and has a good, full life.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:21 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I literally can't help how I feel about this. As I said, no explanation will take away the fact that I immediately went "ew," which was not a thought-out response, it was visceral.

It's super cute and not creepy at all that your son gave you a gumball and said you and he were married (because he was a little kid), but did you, as the adult, then go ahead and create a whole ceremony around it and invite his and your friends? Gosh, I hope not.
You totally failed to understand the part that the girl in this particular story is a freakin cancer patient. And if you don't understand the importance of giving in to a 4 year old cancer patients reasonable request for a little mock wedding because it's something that would give her a reason to smile, I feel bad for you as a human being.

I'm more confused on how some of you people with so little reasoning are able to acquire jobs and make enough money to afford a computer and internet connection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events