Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/ny...d-workers.html

This is a 70% increase in pay for folks who, for the most part, decided not to go to school or pick up a trade, or work their ways up into management roles...

Meanwhile, middle class wages are practically stagnant.
I received a whooping 5% COL raise this year -- still more than most.

It's a sad world when the lazy can go protest and whine against the government and the government gives in.
In many places, fast food workers are now making more than crane operators and medical technicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:06 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
The fix is simple, people can stop eating fast food and supply and demand will take care of the wages.

So will robots which will in the near future make the fast food worker obsolete, as in unemployed.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The fix is simple, people can stop eating fast food and supply and demand will take care of the wages.

So will robots which will in the near future make the fast food worker obsolete, as in unemployed.
I tend to prefer mom n pop restaurants anyway. A lady from Zimbabwe down the road from my office just opened up a restaurant in which she and he sons make what she calls "world foods," ranging from greek to Caribbean to random from-her-kitchen stuff. I barely pay more than I would for a bag of fried grease at a fast food joint, and I feel good about putting my money in their individual pockets.

Recently, I decided to try Wendy's -- 1st time in ages -- and the atmosphere behind the counter was absolute chaos. One of the "cooks" was staring at an order slip with a bland expression, as though lost, the cashier lady poured my chili immediately after she handled my money with no gloves, and they completely discombobulated my order... There were only 2 other patrons in there. Yeah, sure, you deserve $15/hour...

Old 07-23-2015, 10:28 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,080,512 times
Low skill, low education/training requirements that will cause some people (I would blame a lot of this on the unions who want the dues and membership/democrat votes) to be jobless.

This is what they want so this is what they get.

Actions have consequences.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:30 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,309 times
Good for them. No skin off my back.

I don't know why people assume they work much harder than fast food workers.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post

Never said the work isn't hard.
As a matter-of-fact, it is hard, much like day labor is. Doesn't require much of a brain nor skill to perform, and should not pay as much as skilled tradesmen who went to school or through arduous training to get their jobs.
The majority of those complaining are the lazies who haven't done a thing to advance in society since age 15-18, and who want silver spoons handed to them for doing as little as possible.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:53 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
I find this a bit disheartening considering Obama is trying to cut military pay and benefits to our troops. An E4, who has been in 4 years, doesn't make $15 an hour. Those that cite "benefits" should try to live on what those military families do, without the government assistance that is given to the fast food workers. They don't get free healthcare, commissary costs only save them tax as Obama also wants to close the commissaries.

There is no incentive to better yourself if you are working in fast food making $15/hr. The businesses will lay off employees and increase the cost to the consumer. Another stupid idea to give to the poor (like we have done in Baltimore) and it not making a bit of difference.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:18 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post

Agreed 100%. It's got nothing at all to do with them if fast food workers' wages are increases.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:22 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,396 times

Old 07-23-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Agreed 100%. It's got nothing at all to do with them if fast food workers' wages are increases.
Of course it does.
It will severely decrease the value of the middle class's dollar. Someone who went and got an A.S. degree and has been making $17/hr doing drafting or radiology, or even nursing, just went from making double what fast-food workers made to only $2 more. You don't see a problem with this? The $17/hr workers aren't getting 70% salary increases. COL hikes are typically around 2% yearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events