Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 05:47 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

While I can understand fast food workers wanting to make a living wage, I did not make $15/hr. with a required Associates Degree PLUS experience in Public Schools as a Special Ed TA.

Trust me it takes far more skills to get an Autistic child to take a State Mandated Test than it does to say, "Do you want fries with your order?". I am sure other occupations making below that $15/hour also require far more skills also.

Are these other occupations requiring degrees and specialized skills beyond a HS diploma, going to go up beyond the $15/hour for fast food workers? That is a slap in the face then for people who went beyond a HS education if they do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:06 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Fast food is NOT an easy job...there is no such thing as a job dealing with the public that is easy. It's actually one of the harder lower wage jobs just because of the attitude toward them that so many here demonstrate, that they think of them as lowly overpaid monkeys, and because of that many people treat them badly, get mad at them for store policies they have no control over, yell at them, and take out their frustrations on them just because they can. They are just people trying to survive like all of us, what is with all the meanness on these boards anymore?
Indeed, and some of them don't have the skills or the work experience to get better jobs. I worked in fast food when I was young, and it was a pain in the ass! The rudeness of the customers was only one part of it. There was also: rudeness from management, dirty work (cleaning bathrooms, taking out trash bags, cleaning the parking lot) sometimes having to help unload the supply truck, and no free food despite it being a restaurant that throws away a lot of food.

Everyone should earn a living wage. When you think of the cost of living and how expensive everything is these days especially groceries, you realize that yes, low-wage workers should get paid more.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:07 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Fast food is NOT an easy job...there is no such thing as a job dealing with the public that is easy. It's actually one of the harder lower wage jobs just because of the attitude toward them that so many here demonstrate, that they think of them as lowly overpaid monkeys, and because of that many people treat them badly, get mad at them for store policies they have no control over, yell at them, and take out their frustrations on them just because they can. They are just people trying to survive like all of us, what is with all the meanness on these boards anymore?
Here in Maine the city of Portland is trying to raise there min wage to $15 an hour, I hope the teenagers and tattoo'ed and pierced *******s realize that they will soon be unemployed, let me explain why, I currently work for the state of Maine, I've been there for 5 years and my pay is $14.11/hour My average day involves a lot of physical labor as well as office work, I am also required to have a class A CDL, I also have a 28 mile commute to work , These fools at Burger King and mcD's will soon be replaced by very high quality workers, who will laugh there @ss off at what the *******s called hard work.

Bill

Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
While I can understand fast food workers wanting to make a living wage, I did not make $15/hr. with a required Associates Degree PLUS experience in Public Schools as a Special Ed TA.

Trust me it takes far more skills to get an Autistic child to take a State Mandated Test than it does to say, "Do you want fries with your order?". I am sure other occupations making below that $15/hour also require far more skills also.

Are these other occupations requiring degrees and specialized skills beyond a HS diploma, going to go up beyond the $15/hour for fast food workers? That is a slap in the face then for people who went beyond a HS education if they do not.
Yes I agree! I think these laws could make less people want to pursue higher education if they think
"what's the point if I'm making about the same as a fast food worker with no degree" ..

Of course people shouldn't think that way...but with the high cost of college these days and the time investment it's not crazy to think many might think that way.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Here in Maine the city of Portland is trying to raise there min wage to $15 an hour, I hope the teenagers and tattoo'ed and pierced *******s realize that they will soon be unemployed, let me explain why, I currently work for the state of Maine, I've been there for 5 years and my pay is $14.11/hour My average day involves a lot of physical labor as well as office work, I am also required to have a class A CDL, I also have a 28 mile commute to work , These fools at Burger King and mcD's will soon be replaced by very high quality workers, who will laugh there @ss off at what the *******s called hard work.

Bill
This is a real life example of why this is crazy.

In L.A at least the people that signed off on this $15 min wage bill...they make over $180,000 each.

That's even more than the Governor of California makes! and many other top politicians

It's nuts.

It's easy for them to say "We want to make a law where people get paid $15"
How much effort does that take on their part?

It would be better to work on improving the school system...LAUSD schools have terrible ratings.

It's not wondering that people graduate or drop out of these school and go straight into a 'career' in the fast food industry.

These are jobs that used to be for high school kids looking to earn some extra money...but now they are people that are looking to support themselves and their kids on this income!

People are going to years of school and they are learning nothing of value to the marketplace...it's a shame!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Indeed, and some of them don't have the skills or the work experience to get better jobs. I worked in fast food when I was young, and it was a pain in the ass! The rudeness of the customers was only one part of it. There was also: rudeness from management, dirty work (cleaning bathrooms, taking out trash bags, cleaning the parking lot) sometimes having to help unload the supply truck, and no free food despite it being a restaurant that throws away a lot of food.

Everyone should earn a living wage. When you think of the cost of living and how expensive everything is these days especially groceries, you realize that yes, low-wage workers should get paid more.
Yes it sucks that fast food workers don't make much and often struggle...but take a look at what these fast food businesses actually make.
If wages are increased significantly...they are at risk of going out of business.
Also who will open a business in an area where they have to pay $15 an hour...if they can find another area where they can pay around $9 an hour or maybe even less?...

Furthermore an increase in fast food wages will hurt many of the customers of fast food places...low income people!

Everything else will go up across the board too from fast food to groceries to rent.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:29 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It is an easy job..no skill needed. That's why so many adults list FF and supermarkets as their first jobs when they were teens.
I don't believe skill needed corresponds to harder in all cases. I can think of many jobs that don't require advanced skills that are hard jobs. I guess it depends on what your definition of "hard" is. My job in a nursing home requires more skills and a Masters degree versus the CNAs, but IMO their job is way harder than mine.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
The level of difficulty (how hard) is directly affected by the skill level, intelligence, knowledge and physical abilities of the person doing the work.

A person who crunches numbers all day might find the work easy because they know how to do it. The ditch digger might not be able to add 2 numbers together and thus finds the number crunching extremely difficult. Likewise the number cruncher might be a lesser physical stature and have less strength and therefore finds ditch digging difficult.

However, learning to dig a ditch is not nearly as hard as digging the ditch.

The payment for work done is not according to difficulty but the value of the work accomplished. The number cruncher probably doesn't need to eat fast food and therefore the work the fast food worked does isn't all that valuable. If enough people don't buy the fast food, the value of the fast food worker goes down. When the pay is artificially increased, it takes fewer and fewer people to stop eating fast food for the consequences of the pay increase to become very significant.

The number cruncher? Their skills and the knowledge needed to do that work have many other uses and apply to many other jobs, all more valuable than the fast food worker.

Fast food workers are making it easier and more profitable to eliminate them than retain them. When they become obsolete the big deal then will be raising the welfare payments because so many of them are unemployed and need a living handout.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:18 PM

To be fair though I have read some articles where the min wage workers do say that they don't think this is a good idea..because they are aware that it could be bad for business.

Some of the min wage workers do grasp the basic concept that what might hurt the owner of the business might hurt them too..

I also read an example of a small business owner in the SF bay area that said his customers didn't realize how much the law would hurt him. I believe the min wage increase bill passed by 70% or more.

Many people are "well intentioned...but ill informed" as one of my old teachers would say.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:55 PM

424 posts, read 381,756 times
Woho about time. Will help a lot to get those people of government assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events