Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Low skill, low education/training requirements that will cause some people (I would blame a lot of this on the unions who want the dues and membership/democrat votes) to be jobless.

This is what they want so this is what they get.

Actions have consequences.
I agree with you whole-heartedly. Since you are "army_guy", I assume that you are previously Army, and I find that enlisted or formerly enlisted folks understand those principles of actions having consequences more than anyone else.

Unfortunately, in today's Amerika, those who commit the actions will find a way to accuse the rest of us for whatever those consequences may be. Losing control on Americans every day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 07:51 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
For $15, maybe they will get the orders right now, but for all the low skilled working loving this decision, they dont realize management can now seek out much better applicants for $15hr vs $7 now.

For $15, you will probably get someone that speaks understandable English, doesnt have tattoos all over, and wont call out all the time and maybe even show up to work on time as well. This will be for the 4-5 workers the store has after the automated machines replace all the cashiers.
Really? So what do I do with my motorcycle driving doctor who is from India and has a pony tail with tattoos and makes me wait a hour in his waiting room to see him?
I'm pretty sure he makes more than $15 a hour too.
This is capitalism so the market will bare the cost of a minimum wage increase.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:57 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
OP, you're jealous of a group of workers who haven't made a living wage?

I'll give you a choice- a raise of 70% of THEIR wage or 5 % of yours.

Which Is The Better Deal?!

Begrudge workers who already take a **** of a lot crap?

Really?
Not jealous, I just find it ridiculous and insulting to those who worked their way up the ladder to earn their $15/hr.
Anyone can go apply to a fast food restaurant and land a job. Anyone! There are virtually no requirements.

Also, a 70% wage increase for a min. wage worker is approx what, $6?
Yes, I would take a $6/hr increase over my 5% without hesitation.
Think about it (not going to say how much I currently earn), but suppose someone with a Masters in Engineering makes $35/hr. A 5% increase is $1.75/hr. Are you serious with that question? Basic math is your friend.

Also, is it that hard to understand that, coming out of high school, I -- an many others -- worked crap low wage jobs and hated them, but decided to do something in order to get out of there?
I used to do concrete labor in a concrete yard. $9/hr for grueling, extremely dangerous work under the hot Florida sun. When I met my wife (in college) she was working at Dairy Queen. 10 years later, I have a successful career in my field of study and she owns her own nursing business. We did not like our crappy low-wage jobs. We understood that those jobs weren't meant to be permanent. We worked our ways out of it. It was hard, but hey, life is hard.

Simple concept, yet some find it so hard to understand.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:57 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
That's a hell of a statement. Seems to me some paranoia has set in. The government is certainly no angel, but it's also definitely not the cause of ALL of our problems.

Your solution is to roll over and die. Well we can't beat them so we may as well stop trying to pass any sort of sensible regulation because they're going to get their way anyway! Pfft, the hell I'd stop! Production goes up, wages stagnate, companies checks get fatter, but not the employees.

So much for "trickle down" huh?
trickle down economics is a JOKE...it doesn't work...our economy is simply a bunch of workers climbing over each other to get to the top of a small pile...an ever shrinking pile

I for one NEVER EVER suggested rolling over and just taking it...far from it...but raising minimum wage is a red herring, that will not change anything

how about really promoting fair trade...we don't...hear me china??
How about taxing the living hell out of usa companies that out source cheap labor
tax breaks for companies that create jobs here
how about HUGE tax incentives for SMALL business/partnerships...ir even large single owner/partnerships...corporations are the real problem, the real evil...they own and control the government

raising the minimum wage simply appeases the lowest common denominator, which unfortunately, has HUGE voting power with the lefty loosies...

if you really think distrust of our guberment, especially the current admin, is paranoia than I don't know what to tell you...

Old 07-24-2015, 08:03 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Really? So what do I do with my motorcycle driving doctor who is from India and has a pony tail with tattoos and makes me wait a hour in his waiting room to see him?
I'm pretty sure he makes more than $15 a hour too.
This is capitalism so the market will bare the cost of a minimum wage increase.
When i say that, im referring to my experiences when I go to KFC, taco bell, Popeyes, Wendys or what ever other $7 hr job near me. These kids and adults almost sound like a slave when they talk, and other have tattoos on their faces and neck. Combine those those right there and 90% of corporate America will never hire them.

I know the mentality of most fats food workers comes from the fact they only make $7-8hr and have to put up with the public and its sometimes crazy demands at times and after a while they just dont care since what they make they cant even live off of.

Do fast wood workers deserve more? Yes, maybe $9-10 as a minimum wage, but not $15. Start at a certain point and move up the ladder.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:04 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
trickle down economics is a JOKE...it doesn't work...our economy is simply a bunch of workers climbing over each other to get to the top of a small pile...an ever shrinking pile

I for one NEVER EVER suggested rolling over and just taking it...far from it...but raising minimum wage is a red herring, that will not change anything

how about really promoting fair trade...we don't...hear me china??
How about taxing the living hell out of usa companies that out source cheap labor
tax breaks for companies that create jobs here
how about HUGE tax incentives for SMALL business/partnerships...ir even large single owner/partnerships...corporations are the real problem, the real evil...they own and control the government

raising the minimum wage simply appeases the lowest common denominator, which unfortunately, has HUGE voting power with the lefty loosies...

if you really think distrust of our guberment, especially the current admin, is paranoia than I don't know what to tell you...
I'm actually with you on those solutions as well. I don't think the Republicans would go for it though

Old 07-24-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
When i say that, im referring to my experiences when I go to KFC, taco bell, Popeyes, Wendys or what ever other $7 hr job near me. These kids and adults almost sound like a slave when they talk, and other have tattoos on their faces and neck. Combine those those right there and 90% of corporate America will never hire them.

I know the mentality of most fats food workers comes from the fact they only make $7-8hr and have to put up with the public and its sometimes crazy demands at times and after a while they just dont care since what they make they cant even live off of.

Do fast wood workers deserve more? Yes, maybe $9-10 as a minimum wage, but not $15. Start at a certain point and move up the ladder.
If wages went up in accordance to production and the minimum wages were raised in accordance to that, they'd already be making more than they do now.

$7.25 /hr gives you nothing. You can't live on that, but you know what? Someone has to do it. Nearly half of fast food workers are 25 and older, it's no wonder so many ADULTS HAVE to stay home with their parents.

Fast food is not something that is only made up of 17 year old barely out of high school kids that still have the benefits of living home.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
If wages went up in accordance to production and the minimum wages were raised in accordance to that, they'd already be making more than they do now.

$7.25 /hr gives you nothing. You can't live on that, but you know what? Someone has to do it. Nearly half of fast food workers are 25 and older, it's no wonder so many ADULTS HAVE to stay home with their parents.

Fast food is not something that is only made up of 17 year old barely out of high school kids that still have the benefits of living home.

I agree, since the recession many jobs never came back and never will, so the result is a grown man/woman working at walmart/fast food/movie theatre...etc that would have never worked there before and you can tell they hate it there but its better than nothing at all after unemployment.

But just because you are grown adult doesnt mean a employee must pay you $15 an hr,m so you can live. If you were an employer who ran a business and every single person you hire, you had to pay $31K, you would either hire as little as possible or the prices would be sky high.

People are in business to make money, not go broke. Im not saying pay slave wages like $7hr and you make $100K in return off many peoples suffering, but it will be impossible for a Tacobell, Churches, KFC, Wendys, etc to pay every full time worker $31K a yr without seriously jacking up the prices.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:24 AM

The end result of $15hr minimum wage will be people now complaining their employer wont give them over 20-25 hrs a week, the prices of items increasing $5-7 where ever you go, and many people loosing jobs, since many companies will just have its workers doing twice as much work to offset the people they let go. They will make them work for that $15hr.

Just think back to the recession when many companies had you doing 2-3 peoples jobs and you did it or didnt have a job as a result, the same will be here for minimum wage jobs.

In the future they will be rallying again demanding $20+hr minimum wage, because no one can live off of $15 hr.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
The end result of $15hr minimum wage will be people now complaining their employer wont give them over 20-25 hrs a week, the prices of items increasing $5-7 where ever you go, and many people loosing jobs, since many companies will just have its workers doing twice as much work to offset the people they let go. They will make them work for that $15hr.

Just think back to the recession when many companies had you doing 2-3 peoples jobs and you did it or didnt have a job as a result, the same will be here for minimum wage jobs.

In the future they will be rallying again demanding $20+hr minimum wage, because no one can live off of $15 hr.
And yet they rake in hundreds of billions of dollars in profits, cost tax payers billions in government subsidies, and yet they can't pay more to their workers.

Just one quarter of McDonald's profits could pay for every government subsidy handed out to every fast food worker. The amount of money that these companies make is absurd compared to the amount that's paid to their workers.

I sincerely doubt they will increase their prices much if at all. What do you think will hurt them more? Increasing wages or increasing prices and taking away the whole selling point of the business? Cheap food + convenience is their profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events