Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 02:17 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
This is the essence of what was intended by the framers and should have been worded such.

Amendment II
The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, being necessary to the security of a free State, shall not be infringed.

No mention of militia is necessary as "the people" is the militia.

"We, The People" is the whole point of the Constitution. The document defines limited powers of government - on one sheet of paper - and puts them into the hands of "the people". We have gone astray.

Hunting? The criminals we need protection from are our government.
You don't get to decide the intent of the writers of the Constitution.

If you truly believe that no infringement of weapon type or who may hold one is what the second amendment is calling for does that mean that Rusty Houser should not only have been able to legally obtain his pistol in Alabama but was wronged when Georgia denied him a permit due to being charged with arson and having been involuntarily sent to a mental institution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 03:47 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,063 times
In 40 years of law enforcement, I must have seen every method possible in taking a life, whether it be homicide or suicide. In fact, I responded to two incidents where, in both cases, 25 people were murdered and not a single shot fired. If you want to take a human life, there are numerous ways of doing so. Cain slew Abel and I don't believe he used an AK-47 to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Progressive liberals hate cops; it is they who want to disarm the public. At the same time they state only the police and/or military should have firearms.
I saw a movie where only the military and police had firearms. It was called Schindler's List.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:01 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Prohibit guns? We know how the prohibition against drugs and alcohol worked out. (it hasn't)

My guns are for self protection. hunting and the sport of shooting.
Even the winter and summer Olympics have shooting sports.

Ex Presidents, Movie Stars and Rich Liberals in many cases have security that carry guns for protection.
I want that same protection.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Port Arthur Massacre: The Shooting Spree That Changed Australia's Gun Laws - NBC News

Old 07-25-2015, 05:19 AM

If America didn't do anything after a bunch of first graders were murdered by gunfire, they aren't going to do ****. Ever. Might as well accept the fact that mass shootings are now as common as muggings and assaults in this country. They've been happening with ever increasing frequency. Our government is controlled by idiots with money so it will not change.

Seriously, read about the injuries some of those little kids endured and look at the response our country had afterwards. People care more about their guns than they do their fellow Americans. SICK.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If America didn't do anything after a bunch of first graders were murdered by gunfire, they aren't going to do ****. Ever. Might as well accept the fact that mass shootings are now as common as muggings and assaults in this country. They've been happening with ever increasing frequency. Our government is controlled by idiots with money so it will not change.

Seriously, read about the injuries some of those little kids endured and look at the response our country had afterwards. People care more about their guns than they do their fellow Americans. SICK.
Plenty of us tried to do something after the sandy hook shooting, we called our congress critters and demanded that schools be protected by armed guards or police,(you know like the ones they have at there kids private schools).
But the *******s started screaming like little girls, i guess armed guards didn't fit there agenda of using dead children as an excuse to ban guns.
So here we sit with many of our schools protected by nothing more than a "gun free zone" sign, while the libs gleefully await the next school shooting so they can push their gun ban agenda.
Oh and by the way I care enough to send my kid to a private school with armed security at great financial cost to my family, Unlike the *******s I guess I'm not willing to sacrifice my kid for the cause.

Bill

Old 07-25-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Plenty of us tried to do something after the sandy hook shooting, we called our congress critters and demanded that schools be protected by armed guards or police,(you know like the ones they have at there kids private schools).
But the *******s started screaming like little girls, i guess armed guards didn't fit there agenda of using dead children as an excuse to ban guns.
So here we sit with many of our schools protected by nothing more than a "gun free zone" sign, while the libs gleefully await the next school shooting so they can push their gun ban agenda.
Oh and by the way I care enough to send my kid to a private school with armed security at great financial cost to my family, Unlike the *******s I guess I'm not willing to sacrifice my kid for the cause.

Bill
When you can address fellow adults without the use of insults let me know.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:28 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
When you can address fellow adults without the use of insults let me know.
Your facepalm icons are cute but insulting, you know.

There were two big attacks on the elementary school children in US history (as far as I know).

One is Sandy Hook, with 20 children and 6 adults killed.

The other one was Bath school attack in 1927, with 38 children and 6 adults dead, and almost 50 wounded.

The perpetrator did not use any guns. He sabotaged gas line and blew up the school.

There are easier ways than guns. Lanza used guns because they were available to him in his house (and this was illegal btw, his mother broke the law, guess what - the laws don't always work). He could've easily stolen a school bus, loaded it up with gasoline or propane, and rammed through the classroom wall. He'd kill more people in far shorter amount of time and the tools (a heavy vehicle and something combustible) are easily accessible to anyone without any background checks.

You're attacking the tool used in crimes, instead of concentrating on the root causes.

The #1 root cause for gun violence is ghetto culture.

The #1 root cause for mass murder is untreated mental issues. (And the mass murders, as terrible as it sounds, comprise but a tiny percentage of murders - about 20 a year, around 70 in the worst year, compared to around 11,000 "normal" murders each year).

You (and the government) refuse to discuss the subject of lives saved by using guns to stop or prevent crimes. There's not even a government effort to collect statistics on justifiable self-defense shootings. While they collect stats on pretty much anything and everything related to violence, and the data on justifiable self-defense shootings is available via local PDs. Ever thought why they don't want the self-defense data collected and analyzed like they collect and analyze homicide data ?

And you're ignoring the statistics that show that gun friendly states with low % of black population have murder rates on the same level - sometimes better - as gun-controlling Western European countries.

And the worst area for violence - including gun violence - is Washington DC, where an average citizen is prevented from legally owning any gun (there were reports of police confiscating / "losing" hunting rifles), and only politicians and their bodyguards are legally armed. And yet the murder rate is sky high. Pray tell me why is it so ?

So please, facepalm yourself.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You don't get to decide the intent of the writers of the Constitution.

If you truly believe that no infringement of weapon type or who may hold one is what the second amendment is calling for does that mean that Rusty Houser should not only have been able to legally obtain his pistol in Alabama but was wronged when Georgia denied him a permit due to being charged with arson and having been involuntarily sent to a mental institution?
I would say that particular case shows that background checks,registration FAILED spectacularly wouldn't you?
If people with mental illness and felonies can still (in error) pass a federal check that's been in force for years then what good would new restrictions do?

Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I would say that particular case shows that background checks,registration FAILED spectacularly wouldn't you?
If people with mental illness and felonies can still (in error) pass a federal check that's been in force for years then what good would new restrictions do?
The new restrictions will make it ever harder for law abiding citizens to get guns. In the end we'd be like Washington DC, with murder rate on the level of Somalia and no legal gun ownership except for the politicians and their security detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events