Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:36 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times

Advertisements

And what is the person to do when the wind changes direction??? Move his BBQ around every time the wind changes??? How stupid......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 08:44 AM

50,751 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Stumbled into this discussion tonight, it's timely as my entire neighborhood smells of cookout smoke as late as now, 10:30 pm. My next door neighbor, a stone's throw from my house, has a stationery fire pit and it all blows into our opened windows. We complained nicely and he said he'd quit by 10 pm but by then the smell has permeated the entire house. We can't close up the house every evening to avoid this. What would anyone suggest? A giant fan pointed their way?
I would probably try the giant fan, lol.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:20 AM

16,575 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
New Yorkers don't retire to Clearwater, though. The tampa side is mostly Floridians and midwesterners. New Yorkers also don't really mind weird smells.
I see, so you have detailed demographic studies on the area? Why leave out Canadians if you know what you are taking about, as there are plenty of them in the area.
I will grant you that retired NE Jews tend to only go to S FL, typically the tri-county area. I think it is considered one of the largest areas in the country for Jewish population outside of NY/NJ.
Regardless, many people are getting tired of the rat race in S FL, so they are moving to the gulf and space coast instead.

I guess my point as it relates to native Floridians is that they are big on independence, not government regulations. That includes asinine laws about BBQ smell.
Someone in my neighborhood is always having a BBQ, sometime myself included. If we were idiots, police and fire would be here every day of the week.

`

Old 07-26-2015, 10:03 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Stumbled into this discussion tonight, it's timely as my entire neighborhood smells of cookout smoke as late as now, 10:30 pm. My next door neighbor, a stone's throw from my house, has a stationery fire pit and it all blows into our opened windows. We complained nicely and he said he'd quit by 10 pm but by then the smell has permeated the entire house. We can't close up the house every evening to avoid this. What would anyone suggest? A giant fan pointed their way?
Seriously try a Lampe Berger or Scentier oil lamp. I rarely see them in stores. CourtneysCandles has them online.

It's a ceramic disc attached to a wick that sits in a glass container full of lamp oil. They are really quite attractive. Just burn it as long as you need to. They also have unscented and the scents can be diluted.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 AM

431 posts, read 449,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I see, so you have detailed demographic studies on the area? Why leave out Canadians if you know what you are taking about, as there are plenty of them in the area.
I will grant you that retired NE Jews tend to only go to S FL, typically the tri-county area. I think it is considered one of the largest areas in the country for Jewish population outside of NY/NJ.
Regardless, many people are getting tired of the rat race in S FL, so they are moving to the gulf and space coast instead.

I guess my point as it relates to native Floridians is that they are big on independence, not government regulations. That includes asinine laws about BBQ smell.
Someone in my neighborhood is always having a BBQ, sometime myself included. If we were idiots, police and fire would be here every day of the week.

`
I'd be happy to blame the Canadians. They are generally quite sanctimonious and fond of annoying rules. Now combine those traits with someone tacky enough to retire to Clearwater. It's hard to imagine a more unpleasant sort of human being.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:45 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Ridiculous complaint. People who have no tolerance for the odors, actions, or presence of other people need to live far out in the country with no close neighbors. When living in a neighborhood, sometimes you just have to put up with minor issues that bother you.

As far as I'm concerned, the bbq smell would be kind of nice - not sure what the guy has against the smell.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:50 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
If you've ever had obnoxious neighbors you'd have no problem with supporting this smoke complaint.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:59 AM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
I'm pretty sure he'd only be violating local law if he were bbq'ing with commercial equipment that produced sufficient odor & waste. Seems as though the complaining neighbor is a kook and a busybody, and is potentially running the risk of incurring criminal and/or civil liability for using an agency to commit targeted harassment.

I will say though, as frustrating as it may be to have a harassing neighbor, asking the county employee (at approximately 5:00 into the video) if he "could go over there and "shoot the b****" -- even in jest -- was pretty cringe-worthy.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Seriously try a Lampe Berger or Scentier oil lamp. I rarely see them in stores. CourtneysCandles has them online.

It's a ceramic disc attached to a wick that sits in a glass container full of lamp oil. They are really quite attractive. Just burn it as long as you need to. They also have unscented and the scents can be diluted.
What's the lamp supposed to do? Absorb the smoke, or choke out the neighbors?

Will check into it, thanks.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
I watched this the other day and got the impression that the white guy was some sort of official with the HOA who had to respond because of a complaint from a whiney neighbor across the street..... From what the black guys were saying, this neighbor seems to have taken an extreme dislike to their household and complains about every little thing..... warranted or baseless....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events