Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 08:59 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Eh, well then it all comes down to the parents who should not be trusting
anyone else's decisions to gauge whether or not to allow their kids doing stupid, DANGEROUS things.
LIFE is dangerous! There's no way to keep kids of any age 100% safe, because safety is an illusion.

Quote:
14 year old KIDS shouldn't be allowed to operate a boat.
Period.
What else shouldn't they be allowed to do? Ride a bike? Ride a horse? Ride an ATV? Ski?

Should they EVER be permitted to do ANYTHING without direct adult supervision?

When I was in college, one of the big news items in my area was the story of a 12 year old boy who set out on his bike to deliver newspapers and disappeared. To this day, no one knows for sure what happened to Johnny Gosch. Were his parents negligent when they allowed him to have a paper route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:06 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Eh, well then it all comes down to the parents who should not be trusting
anyone else's decisions to gauge whether or not to allow their kids doing stupid, DANGEROUS things.
Obviously the lawmakers really don't give a **** about anyone- even kids.
Because- as has been proven w/ this thread-
14 year old KIDS shouldn't be allowed to operate a boat.
Period.
13-16 years old is pretty much the nationwide average when it comes to boating ages. Kids in those ages operate boats all the time with few incidents.

We also don't know enough about what happened to start making any sort of determination of these kid's actions.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
LIFE is dangerous! There's no way to keep kids of any age 100% safe, because safety is an illusion.

What else shouldn't they be allowed to do? Ride a bike? Ride a horse? Ride an ATV? Ski?

Should they EVER be permitted to do ANYTHING without direct adult supervision?

When I was in college, one of the big news items in my area was the story of a 12 year old boy who set out on his bike to deliver newspapers and disappeared. To this day, no one knows for sure what happened to Johnny Gosch. Were his parents negligent when they allowed him to have a paper route?
I don't care about your little example.
The Florida parents should be held accountable.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I agree that the Coast Guard should do their best to save any life that is in trouble at sea. But if the search is due to pure negligence of the people they are looking for, at some point some type of compensation to the tax payer needs to be approached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
I hope they find these idiots safe and sound
and I hope they make the parents pay for the search and rescue

Be a thrill seeking dare devil on your OWN DAMNED DIME
Members of the Coast Guard need to perform many hours of ongoing training and practice to maintain certification. They are either rescuing people for real or running drills, like how the fire department will go set something on fire once in a while. Here's an interesting article from a seasoned diver about why sea rescue should not be charged.

The Cost of Rescue: Why Carnival Shouldn't Pay and the U.S. Shouldn't Accept - gCaptain

Old 07-31-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
For what?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:45 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
I don't care about your little example.
Then by your logic, Jonny Gosch's parents should also be held accountable. Whatever terrible thing that happened to him almost certainly wouldn't have happened if hadn't been allowed to ride his bike alone, without any adult supervision.

Just because a situation involving a minor has a bad outcome does not mean that the minor's parents were negligent.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
Then by your logic, Jonny Gosch's parents should also be held accountable. Whatever terrible thing that happened to him almost certainly wouldn't have happened if hadn't been allowed to ride his bike alone, without any adult supervision.

Just because a situation involving a minor has a bad outcome does not mean that the minor's parents were negligent.
19 foot boat with gasoline engine. 14 year old boys. Allowed to use alone. Unsupervised. Use your brain. Please. Please!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
19 foot boat with gasoline engine. 14 year old boys. Allowed to use alone. Unsupervised. Use your brain. Please. Please!
Lol you're my hero
Thank you for taking over...
Trying to explain this to a bunch of simpletons....
Is futile

Old 07-31-2015, 10:36 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times
Quote:

Yes, and from the article they were condfident in their abilities and experience. Between that and they were of proper age and certified, i think its silly to hold parents accountable.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You keep saying to "use your brain" like you are in the right. As I posted early, the age requirements for vessel operation are pretty consistent throughout the country. Are you seriously suggesting that you know better than the legislators all across the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events