Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:48 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I've always used Microsoft, until last year, bought an HP and Windows update destroyed everything on the computer. HP tried to be very helpful, even paid for me to take it to a computer store at their expense to see if they could get the information back. No luck. Returned the HP and bought a Mac Pro. What a PIA! Everything I did with Windows in one step takes three steps on the Mac. I don't find it easy to use at all. My spouse curses at it every time she uses it.
Agreed! I find Apple machines to be worse, by far. And as it's a PITA to try to write your own scripts to get around the BS in the OS, I'll stick with MS for now. Still run an XP machine, and two Win7's, and a Surface Pro on 8.1, and I find they play pretty nicely together.

Cannot, for the life of me, get my wife's Mac to play as easily on the home network.

Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 12:58 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I've always used Microsoft, until last year, bought an HP and Windows update destroyed everything on the computer. HP tried to be very helpful, even paid for me to take it to a computer store at their expense to see if they could get the information back. No luck. Returned the HP and bought a Mac Pro. What a PIA! Everything I did with Windows in one step takes three steps on the Mac. I don't find it easy to use at all. My spouse curses at it every time she uses it.
I totally agree. Several years back, My Husband bought me a Mac...and I hated it! Hated it!
(I have used both Windows and Linux on my computers and would take either hands down over a MAC).

Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I love linux as much as you, but not everything can run on Libre office and MS is a necessary evil
Oh I understand this. And having pushed software to 100s of thousands of PCs in the business environment, you can bet the business community will be sticking with Win 7 as long as they possibly can. (just like they did with XP)

Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Bummer Skype doesn't work on Win 10

Old 08-05-2015, 12:53 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Bummer Skype doesn't work on Win 10
It's breaking dual monitor setups, reportedly. That can be pretty devastating in a medical environment. Radiology for instance.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:06 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,996 times
I got Windows 10 installed perfectly with no issues. I like it

Old 08-05-2015, 01:09 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
I got Windows 10 installed perfectly with no issues. I like it
Knock on wood, man. For real.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:46 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
I just upgraded this morning. Thus far no issues other than that I'm going to have to try to remember how to reset my monitor to eliminate the slightly washed out look. Other than that, it was quick and easy.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
Picked up my son from daycare today and the owner was having computer issues with a PC at the front desk. Asked him what was going on and he said he upgraded to Win10 from 8.1, and now it won't even boot up. Apparently he did the upgrade last week and it worked until today when it just $hit the bed. System Restore wasn't working, computer repair wasn't working, nothing. He'd try running them all and they'd just fail I guess. So now his only option to get the data from that PC is to install the drive itself in another PC and copy the files.

Needless to say, I'm going to make sure any computer I help maintain for friends and family won't be getting anywhere near Win10. Screw that noise.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I just upgraded this morning. Thus far no issues other than that I'm going to have to try to remember how to reset my monitor to eliminate the slightly washed out look. Other than that, it was quick and easy.
All seems well now, although I did have a scare. After upgrading I couldn't open settings at all...probably the most important single place to open in the program! It took a little searching on the internet led me back to Microsoft. It is a problem some people are experiencing, and although they don't have a permanent fix yet, they do provide a workaround that seems seamless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events