Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 01:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Oh, I know its true. His brother was just killed off by poachers, a commonplace occurrence. Every year over 600 lions are killed off by big game hunters, more by poachers, its a way of life over there pretty much, its not until there was a super cute lion with a name that Westerners got upset via social media.

"Let me show you how angry I am in 140 characters or less!"

Meanwhile the dictatorship running the country sees a golden opportunity to deflect attention from their vast corruption and human rights violations by climbing up on the bandwagon.
This is a golden opportunity for Zimbabwe to get money.
And from FaceBook brigade that have no clue about Zimbabwe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 02:01 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
1. I never said that my opinion was more valuable than anyone else's. In fact, I think that my argument would be, just as it is re: life, that all opinions are equally valid.

Quote:
If you want to value human life, fine, but don't value it more than other life.

Quote:
You could wipe out half of the Earth's human population and there would still be too many people on the planet.

People can and will value human life more, that is just the way these things go. As humans we have a responsibility to be good stewards of the Earth but I'm never going to go so far as to put an animals life on par with that of a human persons.

There's no way that I can see of equivocating the two. I love animals but I've always had the highest respect for the sanctity of human life and that isn't coming from a religious viewpoint but from someone who lost about half my family line during WW2, relatives that were murdered because of stupid war, ideology or because some other humans felt that their lives had no value, that they were somehow "less." All I see in your comments is the same creepy ideology that devalues human life.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is a golden opportunity for Zimbabwe to get money.
And from FaceBook brigade that have no clue about Zimbabwe.

One of the most repressive, anti-homosexual regimes on the planet. This dentist is a dumbass, prior history indicates that he's a habitual line-crosser of sorts but I do find it somewhat sad that it takes this incident to get people to pay attention to this country, not the horrific human rights violations, the genocide in the 80's, mass murder, torture, graft and vast corruption, starvation, but the death of a single animal.

Quote:

A particular target of Mugabe’s ire, aside from political dissidents, are LGBT people. Mugabe has vowed to make Zimbabwe “hell†for gays, lesbians, transgender people, and others of ***** identity, calling LGBT identity “taboo†and mocking even President Barack Obama for supporting gay rights, threatening to propose marriage to him. Rhetoric aside, life for Zimbabweans of LGBT identity is teeming with threats and violence. As Human Rights Watch notes, LGBT Zimbabweans face numerous dangers, including “attacks on LGBT people, arbitrary arrests of LGBT activists by police, and the harassment by state agents of GALZ in previous years.â€
Mugabe: 'I will propose to Obama'

Old 08-01-2015, 02:08 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with your point at all, I just see a lot of faux outrage here,
The use of the word faux characterizes the outrage as being false, artificial, and or disingenuous, but I would argue that outrage no matter how ephemeral can still be genuinely felt. So the outrage over the outrage seems to be a bit misplaced, since I can think of very few events that rise to the level of being eternally offensive.

Quote:
it will die down shortly and the vast majority won't broach the subject of Zimbabwe again
Life, much less the internet, is filled with issues that have sparked public opprobrium that have come and gone never to be broached again.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:10 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Matter of perspective, not as much world concern for the people's struggles it seems.

Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion - El Paso Times

I wonder how many starving villagers had a meal from Cecil?
I would bet if a poll was taken from Zimbabwaens about whether or not to outlaw Trophy Hunts by rich Foreigners the out come would be drastically different than the same question asked near Liberal Enclaves in other countries.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I would bet if a poll was taken from Zimbabwaens about whether or not to outlaw Trophy Hunts by rich Foreigners the out come would be drastically different than the same question asked near Liberal Enclaves in other countries.
Maybe none. The trackers went looking for Cecil due to his collar. That doesn't sound like anyone benefitted other than the dentist getting a head to put on his wall for bragging rights.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
The use of the word faux characterizes the outrage as being false, artificial, and or disingenuous, but I would argue that outrage no matter how ephemeral can still be genuinely felt. So the outrage over the outrage seems to be a bit misplaced, since I can think of very few events that rise to the level of being eternally offensive.

About 12 more lions in Zimbabwe have been killed by trophy hunters since Cecil. Know their names? Ages? Where they were killed? That is why I think this is all just phony outrage, the latest scandal that the media pushes, that people will get all up in arms about until the next one.

The only thing that the mob has accomplished is destroying this dentist's life. Other big game hunters will simply be more discreet in how they communicate about their hunts, more lions will die, these hunts will continue because there is too much financial incentive to not do so.

So I ask, what has been gained from this temporary media-driven outrage?

Old 08-01-2015, 02:17 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,854 times
Quote:
Oh, I know its true. His brother was just killed off by poachers, a commonplace occurrence. Every year over 600 lions are killed off by big game hunters, more by poachers, its a way of life over there pretty much, its not until there was a super cute lion with a name that Westerners got upset via social media.

"Let me show you how angry I am in 140 characters or less!"

Meanwhile the dictatorship running the country sees a golden opportunity to deflect attention from their vast corruption and human rights violations by climbing up on the bandwagon.
OK lets push for regime change and carpet bomb the place ....oh but wait lions may become collateral damage in the process

I am in an uproar over this but I dunno what to do

Old 08-01-2015, 02:19 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with your point at all, I just see a lot of faux outrage here, it will die down shortly and the vast majority won't broach the subject of Zimbabwe again. Its this trend in society to pick on easy targets and unleash our impotent wrath on them.

A lone dentist in Minnesota with a really annoying face, LET HIM HAVE IT! Coming together to demand justice and freedom for people in Zimbabwe, demanding reform and supporting reform-minded groups that will improve life for all, people and animals, too much of a challenge.

I was reading through the Yelp page for the dentist and was wondering how many of the people leaving nasty comments for him were going to follow through in the way of support, either for animal conservation or impacting positive change within that nation and how many were just pulling a drive-by and blowing off steam by taking part in the lynch mob?
Put a drug user in prison and everyone cries. Get the drug dealer they whine.

So go get the people selling the trophy hunts.

That would be someone in Zimbabwe. Some official. Who issued the Visa for a known trophy hunt, the UN? No, it was the officials in Zimbabwe. This nonsense about a legal hunt in more nonsense. They have poaching all over the place in Zimbabwe. The people who live there poach. Open secret no one wants to talk about.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

None, the corpse was left to rot. Just a complete waste. While I do think there's a lot of phony outrage here, I can't for the life of me understand what the benefit is for someone to kill an animal like a lion. Yep, you killed a large animal, using modern instruments that gave you an incredible advantage, am I supposed to be impressed?

Now if this guy had gone out there in his skivvies, wielding only a single knife and had taken a lion down under those circumstances, I actually might be impressed.

To me this whole incident is just about bullies. The dentist being a massive bully when it comes to killing animals that aren't even given fair chase and a whole bunch of goons on the internet who think they are doing their "good deed" for the day by going on to Yelp and leaving death threats against this guy. *******s all around. The best kind of "good deed", doing a whole lot of nothing without any effort at all, its all about good intentions you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events