Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 02:56 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Learn the difference. He's not a "poacher" because he paid his money to get a hunting permit from the government.

Poaching is illegal hunting. Palmer paid for and got a permit from the government.
I've read numerous articles that say Palmer did indeed break Zimbabwe laws. And he didn't get to keep the head either, the authorities have that.

Cecil the lion's head and skin are handed to police in Zimbabwe | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 02:56 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
When it comes to corruption and murderous out of control government, Zimbabwe is in a class of it's own. Extraditing anyone there would be criminal.

Bull. Try another approach. Evidently its not out of control enough to keep this Dentist Criminal from going there and paying off people to commit a crime. No one sent him there, did they? He went on his own and knew what he was doing. It would be "CRIMINAL" NOT to send him back for trial.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:58 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
More like A-Holes-500
Lions-0
The only reason this story is making waves is because it involved a rich white American killing a lion that had a name.
Take away the rich white American or the lion having a name part and nobody in the U.S. cares.
Otherwise these types of killings are sadly quite commonplace.

Well that's where you are dead wrong. I'd kill the bast***s personally if I could...and anyone else harming the animals.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:02 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times
not confirmed- GPS still has him moving about

Old 08-01-2015, 03:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would've assumed its tourism they mean, which is probably their biggest source of income from westerners
Mining is their biggest source of income. The country is rich in raw minerals.

No need to ASSume when google is at your fingertips.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:03 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,323,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
About 12 more lions in Zimbabwe have been killed by trophy hunters since Cecil. Know their names? Ages? Where they were killed? That is why I think this is all just phony outrage, the latest scandal that the media pushes, that people will get all up in arms about until the next one.
Not sure who it is you wish to heap blame upon, the people for not having the information or the media for not reporting it? You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
The only thing that the mob has accomplished is destroying this dentist's life. Other big game hunters will simply be more discreet in how they communicate about their hunts, more lions will die, these hunts will continue because there is too much financial incentive to not do so.
Of course the whole illegality of Dr. Palmer's hunt seems to escape the scrutiny of your argument. I don't think that the general public is unaware that big game hunting is still occurs in African and elsewhere. It certainly isn't a secret if one has access to YouTube American Stuffers on Animal Planet, or the Outdoor Channel's hunting programs. Is Dr. Palmer, being hounded just for hunting lions or for the unethical methods that he employed? If it is the latter, I see no reason why big game hunters would feel a need to hide their avocation.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I've read numerous articles that say Palmer did indeed break Zimbabwe laws. And he didn't get to keep the head either, the authorities have that.

Cecil the lion's head and skin are handed to police in Zimbabwe | Daily Mail Online
But that is not poaching. He bought the permits.
The weapon used was illegal.

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Mining is their biggest source of income. The country is rich in raw minerals.

No need to ASSume when google is at your fingertips.
Or you could have just said so vs being mysterious. I'm on my nieces iPad ans there's only 8% power, I don't know where the cord is and she's in the shower...that's why I didn't google

5,940 posts, read 3,570,389 times
Quote:
Learn the difference. He's not a "poacher" because he paid his money to get a hunting permit from the government.

Poaching is illegal hunting. Palmer paid for and got a permit from the government.

So your saying that if you buy a hunting license here, you can go in a Zoo and shoot the animal that's in season? That's absurd.

Than man shot a "Protected" Animal. What part of that is it you don't understand? Do you think a Game Warden here would give you a pass if you where out Hunting (legally) and killed a protected animal instead? You would be locked up and prosecuted. Say it to yourself a couple of times. " Protected"...."Protected"...which means illegal to shoot...Illegal, like against the Law. Got it?

Old 08-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
OK lets push for regime change and carpet bomb the place ....oh but wait lions may become collateral damage in the process

I am in an uproar over this but I dunno what to do
Nothing you can do. Zimbabwe is one of the most corrupt countries on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events