Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 04:13 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Jimmy Kimmel is probably upset because he never got the opportunity to kiss Cecil on national TV.

Seriously... If the animal was poached than the poachers need to face justice. But let's face it... Cecil was 13 years old and near the end of his life. Had he not been killed in this incident, he would have lived on until he was too slow to catch dinner and starved to death, or he was torn apart by a pack of hyenas. This is just the grim reality of life on the plains of Africa.

FTR, I hunt deer, ducks and wild turkeys. I have also killed varmints around my cousin's farm that were causing damage or killing livestock. I do not poach nor take part in canned hunts. However, I refuse to give quarter to any anti until I see some clear evidence this dentist was actually poaching. IMHO, if Cecil was lured from a sanctuary by the guides, then the guides are the ones who should stand trial. Just because he shot a famous lion does not mean he was unaware this was an ethical nor legal hunt. The fallout from this story has already been so tainted by hypocritical antis on social media who tend to post out of thoughtless emotion instead of cold logic.

Article: In Defense of Trophy Hunting

I have to agree with deb8977's sentiment as well. Maybe if these antis got as outraged about the sadistic killings perpetrated by ISIS as they have about Cecil the Lion, the Middle East wouldn't be the bag of messed it is today. Of course, dealing with ISIS would mean actually getting ones hands dirty, which is a helluva lot more involved than merely ranting about dead animals on social media.
Yup, the slimy lawyers for this scumbag big money hunter dodging extradition couldn't have said it better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 04:15 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Adult Male Lions are basically immune from Hyena attacks....Lionesses/Sub Adult Lions are a different story through.....Generally the rule is 3 Hyenas to displace 1 Lioness in East Africa and 4 Hyenas to displace 1 Lioness in Southern Africa (Southern African Lions tend to be slightly large in size than Lions from East Africa)....exceptions of course exist.

Starvation/Illness/Old Age are the most common causes of death for Male Lions that live in National Parks (Hunting not allowed)....And at 13 years old Cecil was already quite an old Lion....Most Male Lions live tough harsh lives where they have to constantly worry about being killed/displaced by other Male Lions and they have to constantly protect their pride and cubs....Males generally have a few years shorter life span than Lionesses do....

I know a lot about large carnivores (Biology/Zoology major) and while I detest Trophy Hunting I don't think it causes much ecological damage if managed carefully....Hell it may even be a benefit (as much as I don't like to say that)....You have to fund these parks/services/reserves somehow and in a desperately poor country like Zimbabwe their aren't a lot of options...
Yup, paying a huge bribe to kill an "aged" lion can really help a desperately poor (read corrupt and failed) country like Zimbabwe. Indeed. All these apologist logic astounds me.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:17 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
What a world we live in.....

A world where people get more upset over a freaking lion being killed than they do over human life.

People are being gunned down by PSYCHOS in movie theaters and churches and what is our attention on...

A freaking feline.

Scary what the human population has turned into.
The thing is there are a couple of million people for every one lion left , besides lions look better than people...OK better than most people lol

Old 08-01-2015, 05:45 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Already been done. This guy's dental practice is destroyed, his family is in hiding, and our government is threatening to send this guy to frickin Zimbabwe for justice. Remember when our government would refuse that kind of extradition order to protect its citizens from countries that committed human rights violations?
Well gee, if the US is that upset with countries that commit human rights violation maybe we shouldn't sign treaties with such countries.

If Elmer Fudd doesn't want to risk extradiction to the mean country of Zimbabwe there are ways to avoid it.

A- do not go there.

B- do not go there and break their laws.

C- do not go there, break their laws and then skip out.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:48 AM

1,077 posts, read 872,006 times
Cecil the lion’s killer may have trouble avoiding extradition
Walter Palmer, the wealthy big-game hunter who killed a famous lion, could be headed back to Africa — if the Zimbabwe government has its way.

On Friday, officials in Zimbabwe said they intended to press ahead with a request to extradite Palmer for killing a lion known as Cecil just outside a sanctuary where the animal was protected. Later, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced that it had finally contacted Palmer, a dentist who had shuttered his practice in Minnesota a few days ago and disappeared.
The Fish and Wildlife agency’s law enforcement office said that a representative for Palmer “voluntarily reached out to the service†Thursday afternoon and that its “investigation is ongoing.â€

Cecil the lion

Old 08-01-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No melodrama. What was the point of posting the address of this man's home and business? How can you claim moral high ground?
Plenty of melodrama ..... the mighty hunter and his family could get hurt, and it's all your fault because you went to Twitter and various other places that had the same info and posted it here on C-D!!!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:05 AM

Well it would seem the Mrs. shares her husband's passion for killing things.

Wife of Cecil the lion killer Walter Palmer is a hunter too | Daily Mail Online

Old 08-01-2015, 06:42 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
Lets discuss archery hunting in general. I can't believe it is legal in the United States to kill an animal by shooting a sharp stick into it's body and 'following a blood trail'. There are humane slaughter laws in this country, but they do not apply to wild animals.

Africa is overpopulated with humans for it's food supply. They throw their garbage down on the ground, poop outside without even burying it. The starving babies and diseases are brought on by themselves. Arica is an armpit and has always been an armpit.
And will always be an armpit.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:45 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Hell, most people in Zimbabwe are facing much greater problem that require their attention. The economy is so bad there and so many people live so far below the poverty line that crowds of Zimbabweans are surrounding and attacking wild giraffes, zebras, and other big game for food. So no, they don't care as much about Cecil the lion being killed as a lot of comparatively wealthy Westerners with access to Twitter do...
Must all be the white man's fault.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:04 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well it would seem the Mrs. shares her husband's passion for killing things.

Wife of Cecil the lion killer Walter Palmer is a hunter too | Daily Mail Online
Looks like they are a perfect match. There's no way she could live with a spouse who dedicated so much of his life to killing unless she was ok with it. Probably the kids have become numb to the fact that the animals heads displayed in the home were killed for nothing more than bragging rights for their father.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with public outcry over this situation. People who commit heinous acts should face consequences in the public forum, as well as legal ramifications. Disgusting acts like what Dr. Palmer committed shouldn't be swept under the rug and paid off with the aid of an expensive attorney. Society as a whole has every right to judge another's actions, and I think it is wonderful that this is getting so much press. Hopefully it will lead to an end of trophy hunting and importing body parts into this country.

At the very least, it will prevent unwitting patients from providing money to fund the Dr's killing sprees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events