Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:41 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times

Advertisements

Fetal tissue used to cultivate vaccines are likely from Planned Parenthood. Is this why PP is not being charged with selling human body parts? What do you think? Is it ethical?

Planned Parenthood: How Ethical Is Fetal Tissue Donation?

They say that the abortion is voluntary so it should be fine but who is to say this is ethical?

"'The reason is that the risk to public health, if one chooses not to vaccinate, outweighs the legitimate concern about the origins of the vaccine,' the center's position statement continued. 'This is especially important for parents, who have a moral obligation to protect the life and health of their children and those around them.'" What Aborted Fetuses Have to Do With Vaccines - ABC News

Is using fetal tissue (for a profit) ethically fine just because it is used in research? For vaccines or medication... Where do we draw the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 07:57 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,814 times
The end does not justify the means. The statement you quoted is pretty effed and the speaker really missed the mark.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:07 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
No, what is effed up is that someone would prefer fetal tissue be discarded in the garbage instead of being used to prevent children from dying of measles, chickenpox, etc.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:49 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
No, what is effed up is that someone would prefer fetal tissue be discarded in the garbage instead of being used to prevent children from dying of measles, chickenpox, etc.
If someone is opposed to abortion then it would make sense that they would not wish to be made a part of that abortion and "benefiting" from it.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If someone is opposed to abortion then it would make sense that they would not wish to be made a part of that abortion and "benefiting" from it.
I don't think there are really many pro-lifers who would turn down a life saving med developed from fetal tissue if their child was lying on its deathbed.

Just a few hyper radicals like those religious fundys who refuse medical treatment to pray over their sick children instead.

Those are not the type of people we want influencing legislation.

Sanity must prevail.

Last edited by Annie53; 07-31-2015 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I don't think there are really many pro-lifers who would turn down a life saving med developed from fetal tissue if their child was lying on its deathbed.

Just a few hyper radicals like those religious fundys who refuse medical treatment to pray over this sick children instead.

Sanity must prevail.

Maybe they would compromise their morals if they were faced with a life or death decision and the medicine that contained the cure contained fetal tissue from aborted fetuses. Maybe not. Most vaccines don't fall into that "lifesaving, lying on the deathbed" category. This group (religious fundys) is not the one influencing legislation though regarding forced vaccination and the elimination of religious exemptions. They also have been very unsuccessful in trying to defund Planned Parenthood so I wouldn't worry too much if that was your concern.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:15 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:

Just a few hyper radicals like those religious fundys who refuse medical treatment to pray over this sick children instead.

Sanity must prevail.
I am pro-choice when it comes to most things, including abortion. However, selling fetal tissue for use in vaccines is suspect (should be treated the same as a corpse for scientific study) while selling fetal organs should be regulated under our current law for organs. Most legal tissue/organ/body donations to science are "free of charge" and are sent to legitimate medical schools.
We are talking about selling fetal tissue and organs to for-profit entities (like vaccine manufacturers). There is a difference and although I am pro-choice, I have a problem with aborted fetal tissue/organs being sold for profit.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I am pro-choice when it comes to most things, including abortion. However, selling fetal tissue for use in vaccines is suspect (should be treated the same as a corpse for scientific study) while selling fetal organs should be regulated under our current law for organs. Most legal tissue/organ/body donations to science are "free of charge" and are sent to legitimate medical schools.
We are talking about selling fetal tissue and organs to for-profit entities (like vaccine manufacturers). There is a difference and although I am pro-choice, I have a problem with aborted fetal tissue/organs being sold for profit.
Are you saying pharmaceutical companies shouldn't make money from meds developed from fetal tissue?

No one would develop any meds at all if they couldn't make a profit.

PP and their handling fee is a different matter all together. Hospitals also charge to dispose of/handle medical waste. Regulations, paperwork and someone to do it all costs money. People don't work for free.

I pay a pretty penny to have my garbage picked up every week, same thing.

Come to think of it, the funeral industry makes a bundle dealing with remains, don't they? Why is it OK for them to make a profit off the dead?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Maybe they would compromise their morals if they were faced with a life or death decision and the medicine that contained the cure contained fetal tissue from aborted fetuses. Maybe not. Most vaccines don't fall into that "lifesaving, lying on the deathbed" category. This group (religious fundys) is not the one influencing legislation though regarding forced vaccination and the elimination of religious exemptions. They also have been very unsuccessful in trying to defund Planned Parenthood so I wouldn't worry too much if that was your concern.
Don't some kids actually die from measles, chicken pox etc.?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Don't some kids actually die from measles, chicken pox etc.?
Very rarely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events