Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 06:28 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFeCn7998Zc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 07:44 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Don't get all upset about it. I am not saying I agree with the idea that bears should be killed soon after they attack a human, but there are a lot of experience people who say otherwise.

Rather than give some nonsense question, what would be your solution?
Let bears live in their homes. Enter at your own risk.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:20 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
This makes me boil that they would be euthanized. Hikers are in their territory.
I have been to Yosemite, Yellowstone--no way am I going to hike, not willing to take the risk. I don't think it is fair it one decides to take the risk and a bear attacks, the bear will be punished.
I see your point, but I think that predator animals need to retain their fear of man. In general wolves, bears and cougars should be unmolested but if they are unafraid of people enough to attack them they must be relocated or destroyed.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:31 PM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
Bears become habituated when they associate people with food. There's a saying "a fed bear, is a dead bear." Please, when out in the wild, don't feed any animals and always keep a clean camp, it ends up being bad news for the wildlife otherwise.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:49 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,011 times
I was surprised years ago when some park rangers in a CA park killed a bear that started a habit of going down into campgrounds in search of food. It hadn't even attacked anyone yet so I was surprised that they were greenlighted to put it down. It needed to be done but being in CA, I didn't think it was going to happen.

Any bear that attacks a person is highly likely to do develop a tendency to repeat that. Unless there is some eye witness testimony that can give a cause that its an isolated incident then the bear should be put down. Especially if it eats a person as is the case here.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:56 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I was surprised years ago when some park rangers in a CA park killed a bear that started a habit of going down into campgrounds in search of food. It hadn't even attacked anyone yet so I was surprised that they were greenlighted to put it down. It needed to be done but being in CA, I didn't think it was going to happen.

Any bear that attacks a person is highly likely to do develop a tendency to repeat that. Unless there is some eye witness testimony that can give a cause that its an isolated incident then the bear should be put down. Especially if it eats a person as is the case here.
Exactly.

To be really blunt, I don't really agree with this whole "we're in their territory" thing. We're humans, we OWN this planet. It's ours. We have the right to go where we jolly well please and explore what we see, and we have the right to protect ourselves from attack. If the animals can't adapt to our superiority, tough.

That doesn't mean I don't agree with areas being set aside as being "pure" with nature or whatever, that's fine. However, if it's a place that is meant for humans to explore and is popular, which is certainly the case with Yellowstone, then even though Yellowstone isn't Disneyland, humans should be able to explore and then protect themselves from attack, even with guns if necessary. If the bears can't adapt, tough.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:02 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
I am scheduled to hike alone that specific trail (Elephant Back Loop Trail) from Bridge-Bay 8 days from now. That's where the attack happened. Interesting.

Sorry to hear about that poor soul. I can't imagine his horror.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:16 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
Bears become habituated when they associate people with food. There's a saying "a fed bear, is a dead bear." Please, when out in the wild, don't feed any animals and always keep a clean camp, it ends up being bad news for the wildlife otherwise.
I can't believe you'd say such horrible things. Friendly animals like Cecil and this bear simply want to be our friends. They'd gladly share a meal with us if only we bothered to learn their peaceful ways.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:22 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,943,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Based on the posts here, I submit that if young black men simply pretended to be a black bear, they would garner 10x more public support from white folks in police confrontation cases.

Mick
The black bear was a good boy. He was turning his life around and was an aspiring rapper bear.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:12 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,548 times
The fact that the bear fed on the victim means it has learned that it doesn't have to fear people, humans are easy to kill AND good for food. The bear will probably look for opportunities to repeat the experience. That puts other people at risk.

I'm not the type who wants predators to be killed just because they're in the area. But when they attack and eat people, it's a different story. Sorry, but this bear has to be killed. The last thing anyone wants is for a bear to start dragging campers out of their tents and eating them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events