Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 10:18 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I think you might be watching a little too much TV.

That actually happens. I used to do some work for a guy that had that exact thing happen to him. He was sleeping at 3 am when the Police bashed down his door and came in the house . He slept with a 9mm pistol on the bed stand and grabbed it, seeing figures in the hallway, and started shooting down the hall. The Cops all exited the house and started yelling "Police" then. He was arrested and held for hours, but then released, since the Police did not identify themselves when they bashed the door down, and it was the wrong residence. They where looking for the guys Brother, and thought he lived there, but he had moved out a year before. So it does happen, and the guy is lucky to be alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Like the cop who was running after a suspect in Chicago and a group of people he passed started laughing because he was losing ground. He stopped and punched a woman in the stomach so hard she was hospitalized. And she was eight months pregnant. His response when she asked why he did that was, "Shut up you black b****. You're lucky I didn't punch you harder."

Or the guy who was arrested for filming someone being tased. He's being sued.

Or the man who had gotten out of his car and was talking to his friend when an undercover cop approached asking what he was drinking (Arizona iced tea). When he was told to hand it over, he refused. When he was told to provide ID, he refused. Then he was told he had to leave, even though the guy wanted to go into the store, which is why he was there. He was arrested for trespassing. I think he's also suing.

Some of these jackholes would have been great in Nazi Germany.
Of course, There are thousands of these incidents, and we are just starting to see what's been going on for a long time because of cell phone cameras. But you will always have a select group who think the victims are always at fault.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
I'm a retired law enforcement officer who spent a good portion of my career in plainclothes or undercover. Whenever I was approached by a police officer, I simply complied with his orders, even when I thought they were a bit out of line. Comply first, complain later.
I always have too, if its pertinent to why he stopped me. I will also show them respect, if they are also respectful, but I also don't mind voicing my opinion if they are out of line. I refuse to grovel in front of anyone, badge or no badge. You can stand up for yourself, without provoking a fight or violence.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I always have too, if its pertinent to why he stopped me. I will also show them respect, if they are also respectful, but I also don't mind voicing my opinion if they are out of line. I refuse to grovel in front of anyone, badge or no badge. You can stand up for yourself, without provoking a fight or violence.
I have to disagree with you there. In some of the cases we've seen, it seems to provoke a fight just because a person is standing up for him/herself.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
The problem isn't the Criminals being encountered by Cops, and your failing to see that. Its the people that have committed no crime, or committed a traffic violation, like every driver in the Nation does, sooner or later, being confronted by over zealous or just plain Crazy Cops. That's your problem in this Nation.

The woman in Jail that killed herself, should not have even been in jail in the first place. I have changed lanes thousands of times, and didn't signal every time, but no one ever stopped me for it, let alone pulled a Taser on me, and told me to get out of the car or he was going to "Light Me Up." If her mind snapped, from being in Jail, then Yes, the Cops are to blame, since it was not a jail offense, and there is no Law for not putting out your cigarette at the request of a Police Officer. The Officer was a Mental Case, and should have never had a badge.

Also, You can't use the Morons in Ferguson to be an example for every complaint there is made about Police misconduct to minimize the problem that exists, but nice try. .

I know some folks would like this Police scrutiny to just go away, and outlaw filming of Police confrontations, but its not going away. Police Departments have shown the Public that they need to have Body Cameras and Dash Cams. I think every Department should have them, and a Policy that any officer who turns it off, be warned and fired if repeated. Too many Bad Cops out there.
Sometimes you "puzzle" me, but this is a good summary of the problem.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
So what's your recommendation? Shoot them first?

We deal with every day, with no gun, since you don't know most of the folks your around each day, so why can't a Cop deal with it, since he does have a gun.
That's a very good point.

I think that police often have to engage the crazies far more often that does a civilian. But the crazies are among all of us. I haven't shot any of them, tasered any of them, hit them with a nightstick, or pepper sprayed them. And I'm still here in one piece.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Of course, There are thousands of these incidents, and we are just starting to see what's been going on for a long time because of cell phone cameras. But you will always have a select group who think the victims are always at fault.
Because they want the victims to always be the victims.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:29 AM

400 posts, read 575,471 times
Quote:
DON'T COMMIT A CRIME!!!!
I'm suck and tired of people honoring criminals who are killed by a cop which they never would have encountered had they not been committing a crime in the first place.
Hell, a person can't even kill themselves in jail without the cops being blame.
Some cops are overly paranoid and looking to shoot someone before they even know the situation. My town's force is notorious for harrassing people of color. A black man got off a bus, ran to the bank and someone called the police. Guy had good timing because he was able to catch his next bus and few minutes later the guy was pulled off the bus at gun point. His crime, ran to a suburban bank in his majority white neighborhood. I avoid calling them anymore when we have houses broken into or the usual property crime because they are too jumpy and ready to attack. I have had them unsnap their weapons, hand on their weapons ready to pull as they approach me and Im the one calling them for assistance.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:36 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Quote:
DON'T COMMIT A CRIME!!!!
I'm suck and tired of people honoring criminals who are killed by a cop which they never would have encountered had they not been committing a crime in the first place.
Hell, a person can't even kill themselves in jail without the cops being blame.

And if you do commit a crime, cooperate with the police when they stop you.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
Some cops are overly paranoid and looking to shoot someone before they even know the situation. My town's force is notorious for harrassing people of color. A black man got off a bus, ran to the bank and someone called the police. Guy had good timing because he was able to catch his next bus and few minutes later the guy was pulled off the bus at gun point. His crime, ran to a suburban bank in his majority white neighborhood. I avoid calling them anymore when we have houses broken into or the usual property crime because they are too jumpy and ready to attack. I have had them unsnap their weapons, hand on their weapons ready to pull as they approach me and Im the one calling them for assistance.

My husband's best friend is a cop and he's said there are certain people he absolutely will not go out on a call with because they are too paranoid and shaky. If you even look at them wrong they are ready to whip out their pistol, because they are just too scary of any and everyone especially black guys. People with those types of personalities should not be cops, but unfortunately there are plenty of them out there which leads to people being needlessly shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events