Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 12:44 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times

Advertisements

Oh crap... now they're going to see my smuggled Twizzlers and bottle of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 12:54 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Really? I don't bring in outside food to movies. I don't go to movies very much at all. Last movie I saw was Interstellar. Movie before that was The King's Speech. Got searched on line for Interstellar. Surprised I was, but not busted. Nothing to confiscate. Even bought the $11.00 popcorn/drink package. For each of us. Thats $22.00 for snacks and $24.00 for admission for 2-1/2 hours entertainment. That was awhile ago so I'm surprised this is news now. But let me get this straight. You are ok with theaters marking up food and drink by 500%? You think that's fair? You realistically think that the descendants of Americans that threw English Tea into Boston Harbor would all quietly accede to outright ursory by theater chain management? You should know better than that.
Exactly. That's why I see nothing wrong with people sneaking their own food/drinks in movies. If the staff doesn't want them sneaking food in, fine. Make the snacks a decent price and they won't. Customers would probably buy them if they were even somewhat overpriced instead of insanely expensive. My wife and I would probably pay $2.50 for a small sized popcorn that would cost us $1 max at the mall and $0.25 at home because we know the theater needs to make a profit and it's worth it to us to have a yummy snack. But $6.00? No way.

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 08-20-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 01:00 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Will do nothing to stop someone carrying a concealed firearm. Tend to avoid the movies because I dont enjoy going, this only reinforces that. Nothing to do with safety everything to do with keeping snacks out.
It's a holster to carry a gun next to your underwear. Unless you pat everyone's underwear, you won't see it.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:02 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Trespassing only comes into play if someone is instructed to leave the property and does not. Rent-a-Guards do not have arrest authority (unless it's an off-duty real cop). I'd also challenge if a Rent-a-Guard even had detention authority under such circumstances. No-Guns-Allowed is a corporate policy.
Not the way the law is written in Wisconsin. Maybe it's called not trespassing but something else, but it's a misdemeanor (at least) if you enter any property, explicitly posted with "No guns" sign even if you have a permit.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:02 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
we no longer go to the movies anymore either because frankly even with the early showings they are still too exspensive and I see all of them closing before too long and it will strictly be a dvd and blu ray world .

Old 08-20-2015, 01:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I love how people are complaining about being searched, yet they are the ones bringing in outside snacks/drinks even though there are signs all over the place saying "no outside food or beverages". So, you break the rules of the business and then complain when the same business checks to see if you are indeed breaking the rules.
I don't do that. I just don't eat at the movies. I don't even get a drink because it's served in a cup the size of a bucket and I'll have to pee halfway through the movie, missing key parts of it.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
I buy drinks at the AMC just because of Coke Freestyle Machines and sometimes get food there too. If you have an AMC Stubs membership, you get free-next sized upgrades for drinks and popcorn as well as $10 credits for every $100 spent. I've only seen six movies at an AMC and stockpiled like $70, and one I saw for free last night with my Stubs membership. At the other theater by me I bought the reusable popcorn bucket at $4 for a refill.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:40 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well than you're old enough to know that chances of this happening to you are pretty slim.

So what's next? Getting frisked every time you go to the supermarket? The local library?

I would be more concerned about distracted drivers texting on the road than this.

And since you called yourself old, you should do some "critical thinking", there is an agenda going on in this country and it is fear based. Been going on for several years and is rapidly increasing.

But so many people today are so self involved they're not paying attention.

Worked great in Germany in the 1930s.
I'm not so afraid that I have to carry a gun to the movies.

Last edited by arjay57; 08-20-2015 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 03:45 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
They are checking for food, not guns. They are losing way more money to outside food being brought in than outside firearms...
I agree. Friends and I used to stack our bags (and coats ) with food. After 9/11, though, the theaters here in NYC started checking bags for "security purposes." Note, these were even the theaters in the outer-boroughs, where I highly doubt Jihadists were looking. EVERYBODY knew the real reason for the bag searches, and they soon stopped as people complained (plus, the bag checks were adding time to get into the theater and making the theaters lose money as a result as many people saw the lines and walked away before buying a ticket). But I refuse to buy overpriced food at a movie theater after paying $14-$15 for a movie ticket here in NYC (no, I don't frequent movie theaters here exactly because of the price of a ticket)!

Old 08-20-2015, 03:53 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,459 times
You know...the thing that these greedy theatre owners don't get is that if they just charge decent, regular prices for the snacks and drinks, everyone who came in there would probably buy some. They would probably make more profit based in quantity, instead of trying to gouge the few people stupid enough to pay those ridiculous prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events