Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 12:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times

Advertisements

I love the women's banner, that is a great come back.

The "PS Megan does butt stuff" had me shooting water out of my nose.

Awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:06 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,178,584 times
"...numerous studies have found that men who join fraternities are three times more likely to rape, that women in sororities are 74% more likely to experience rape than other college women..."

I provided the cliff notes there because I know you won't bother to click the link.

Pesky facts and studies.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:15 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,954,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Talk about enabling behavior, attitudes and mindsets.

More victim blaming. Lovely.

Women should be able to go out to parties, clubs, frat parties, etc., and not worried about if they're going to be roofied and possibly sexually assaulted, and then in turn blamed for consuming an alcoholic beverage.

And even if a woman gets bleepface plastered, that's still no right for anyone to have their way with her. Yeah, it takes a real man to have sex with a woman who's barely conscious.
Say someone jumps into bear enclosure wearing a suit of honeyed ham. What happens then?

1) Bear eats person because bear is a predator.
2) Bear is put down.
3) Everyone asks why someone was dumb enough to jump into a bear pen wearing a honeyed ham suit.

Girl goes to a frat party and drinks herself blind. What happens then?

1) Girl gets date raped because frat boys join frats to get girls drunk and bang them.
2) Frat boy (hopefully) gets prosecuted.
3) People ask why a woman would drink herself blind at a frat party.

The bottom line is fraternities are a place where potential rapists hang out. If you don't want to get raped, don't go to a frat party.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:24 PM

163 posts, read 139,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
One of the interesting things about special interest groups is that they are NEVER responsible for their own actions. It is ALWAYS the fault of the opposition group. So in this case, female college students have no choice but to consume alcohol that is offered to them by males.

Whatever happened to the old days when fathers told their daughters that, for the most part, teenage males are really only motivated in one thing? It was true then and it is true now. These young women might think they are smart, clever and funny conversationalists, but by and large, males that age are completely uninterested in the things females have to say.
Agreed. So what women are basically saying is all parties with men should never include alcohol because if she takes just one sip if a man has sex with her he's a rapist.

I've gone to parties and gotten super drunk before and woke up to my wallet missing and other items. But instead of blaming others I knew I had no one to blame but myself and certainly didn't make a big deal out of it. Funny how women seem to think it's okay for women to get stupidly plastered and should have no consequences. I'm half surprised they don't blame men when women drink a lot and have a bad hang over from the day before.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:26 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,443,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Good lord. Facts and studies huh?

Did you read the mehtodology page? 325 men taken from a group that was in a Sexual Assault Prevention Program. Meaning they were already offenders in some way and had to take the "program" to avoid expulsion, probation, criminal charges.

Jesus, its like going to a prison to study crime (amongst criminals) and pretending that everyone there represents the entire population.

This is your study and facts? Please.

How come I cannot find the articles in the "references" section pertaining to methodologies, studies, and other programs that are quoted as "research" by the authors of this study? I'm trying to find the articles that the authors quote statistics from (and the interesting thing is that they've quoted numerous studies that they themselves-the authors-completed).

By the way, Obama's Department of Justice debunked the 20% trope, that these articles STILL quote (despite the correction, they still quote the incorrect numbers). 20%? This study says its more like .61%. College campuses are safer than the "real" world according to this Obama DOJ report.

Rape and Sexual Assault Among College-age Females, 1995-2013

Old 08-25-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Say someone jumps into bear enclosure wearing a suit of honeyed ham. What happens then?

1) Bear eats person because bear is a predator.
2) Bear is put down.
3) Everyone asks why someone was dumb enough to jump into a bear pen wearing a honeyed ham suit.

Girl goes to a frat party and drinks herself blind. What happens then?

1) Girl gets date raped because frat boys join frats to get girls drunk and bang them.
2) Frat boy (hopefully) gets prosecuted.
3) People ask why a woman would drink herself blind at a frat party.

The bottom line is fraternities are a place where potential rapists hang out. If you don't want to get raped, don't go to a frat party.
You do realize a girl could go to a frat party, ask for a bottle of water, and get roofied, right? So what's the excuse then?

Of course women should make better decisions and not potentially put themselves in danger, no one disagrees with that. They're lulled into a false sense of security because they're surrounded by people who look like them, act like them, have the same interests, backgrounds, etc.

However, just because a woman gets drunk and becomes vulnerable, does not in any way justify sexually assaulting them. If anything, it's worse, since he's taking advantage of a woman who basically can't defend herself. When you're so quick to judge and blame the woman, all you're doing is creating an enabling mindset in these young men's minds.

"Yeah, he's right. If she didn't want it, she shouldn't have gotten so drunk and worn that outfit and looked at me. You know what, she shouldn't have even showed up, at all. It's her fault for being trusting and letting her guard down. I think I'll do it again, because I can probably get away with it."

What a role model.

No wonder women don't come out if they were raped by a frat boy, she'll be picked apart for her poor subsequent choices, while trivializing the rape, itself. Compare that to being raped by some random security guard (see photo posted earlier), where it will be highly unlikely anyone will "defend" the rapist's actions.

You're comparing a man (a human being, who should know and should have been taught better) to a bear and comparing a fraternity house to a bear pen. Just when you thought you've read it all.

Classy bunch we got here on C-D.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:05 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,626,179 times
Driving my freshman daughter to Bowling Green State University in the fall of 2011, there were at least 20 separate houses, Fraternity and otherwise, with these signs (and worse) all along the Main Street, along with giant penis sculptures and other 'visual aids'.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:06 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Expecting something different from the Historically Black Colleges University student body?
Thanks for pointing that out. It wouldn't be city-data without some gratuitous racism.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:08 PM

203 posts, read 172,822 times
I don't think it's funny at all and there's no excuse for what some guys do. But it is just some guys and ultimately regardless of low brow frat boy "humor" guys that perpetrate vile acts are themselves responsible. The problem is as low brow as these guys were, many, many girls who attend the university, and just about every other university in North America, gravitate to the party atmosphere. I've lived near a university my entire life. The party atmosphere has always existed -- years ago it used to be much worse, and encompassed the entire neighborhood. Orientation week was insane. All I can say is that the girls have always been willing and (overly) enthusiastic participants. And, no, they weren't just going along with it. If one wants to argue that the signs contribute to "rape culture" on campus, what role do girls play in the party culture that gives rise to those signs? If 100% of girls on campus overnight became teetotalling and chaste and universally ceased partying, the guys would soon lose interest and follow suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
No, how about this? Getting a girl drunk to the point of no return and banging the **** out of her is not funny. This is what we are paying for when we send our daughter's to college?

Perhaps you are one of "those" guys who thinks it's funny. It's not.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Good lord. Facts and studies huh?

Did you read the mehtodology page? 325 men taken from a group that was in a Sexual Assault Prevention Program. Meaning they were already offenders in some way and had to take the "program" to avoid expulsion, probation, criminal charges.

Jesus, its like going to a prison to study crime (amongst criminals) and pretending that everyone there represents the entire population.

This is your study and facts? Please.

How come I cannot find the articles in the "references" section pertaining to methodologies, studies, and other programs that are quoted as "research" by the authors of this study? I'm trying to find the articles that the authors quote statistics from (and the interesting thing is that they've quoted numerous studies that they themselves-the authors-completed).

By the way, Obama's Department of Justice debunked the 20% trope, that these articles STILL quote (despite the correction, they still quote the incorrect numbers). 20%? This study says its more like .61%. College campuses are safer than the "real" world according to this Obama DOJ report.

Rape and Sexual Assault Among College-age Females, 1995-2013
Yeah, no wonder women who are victims don't want to come out. Every excuse in the world comes out to defend these boys (Lol at campuses being safer than the "real" world, as if rapes don't exist because of that).

Well unless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Expecting something different from the Historically Black Colleges University student body?

...we're talking about a HBCU, which we are not (people just can't help themselves).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events