Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:09 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

There was a lot of stuff that people were exposed to when those buildings came down. Asbestos was one of the biggys. One type of cancer is asbestos specific. Mesotheleoma. A particularly nasty and virulent disease. Lung cancer is difficult to prove as being specific to asbestos exposure, especially if the victim is a smoker, but with Mesothelioma, its a given.

With the latency period involved with asbestos, the time frame is about right for problems to start showing up , in people exposed on 9/11. Asbestos, lead, all manner of nastiness, was floating around in choking clouds. The levels of asbestos , alone, in the air were so far above the thresholds, as to be one of the biggest concerns.

Since the Dose Response Relationship, flatly states, there is no "safe" level of exposure, there was no need to even sample the air after the towers fell. A fiber count would have been so off the charts as to be worthless. People on scene there would have been automatically placed on medical monitoring , in any other such exposure incident. I don't know how this was handled. I'm sure all the first responders were placed in such a program, but what happened with everyone else, idk.

This was , easily, the largest fiber release of asbestos in history. I've seen OSHA react in a really serious manner to far smaller incidents, with just a few workers exposed. Asbestos is treated like methyl ethyl death. The shear scale of exposure when the towers came down is just mind boggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 01:33 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
RIP.

9/11 is still claiming victims 14 years later. First responders, recovery workers, and survivors are getting cancer left and right.

There's no proof that the dust--or her admitted use of crack cocaine for 10 years after 9/11--caused or even contributed to her stomach cancer.

I love how people can't wait to jump on emotional bandwagons.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
I'm doubtful a single day of exposure caused her cancer. First responders worked 12 hour days for weeks on end being exposed to asbestos and other harmful particulates.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:47 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Very sad. There are many unsung victims of the toxic debris that was spewed all over lower Manhattan and Greenwich Village. I personally know quite a few people who are living with respiratory ailments. Asbestos is a known carcinogen.

The mayor and the president handled this terribly.

She is every bit a victim as a first responder, a secretary or a janitor inside one of the buildings.

I really can not fathom some of these heartless posts.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
There's no proof that the dust--or her admitted use of crack cocaine for 10 years after 9/11--caused or even contributed to her stomach cancer.

I love how people can't wait to jump on emotional bandwagons.
No, but it's possible. Anyway, I was making a general observation, not just about her.

It is a fact that people who were there that day and in the months after are getting cancers at higher rates than others. Nothing I said is false, or emotionally driven. Every year since 9/11, people connected to the attacks have been diagnosed with cancers and other illnesses, and dying from it. Like I said earlier, NYC hospitals run programs for responders or recovery workers to check them yearly for health problems. My friend's dad, who works for the DOT and worked the recovery effort for some time, is one of the people who visits one of the hospitals (maybe Presbyterian? Not exactly sure which) yearly to get checked out. There is no doubt that site was toxic. The James Zadroga Health Act was created for a reason.

Regardless of the cancer this woman had, she lived a sad life following the attacks, which clearly traumatized her. 9/11 ruined her, cancer or not, and that is sad. She clearly could not handle the terrible things she witnessed that day.

Like I also said, I have worked closely with survivors, family members, and the 9/11 Memorial. I have experience and I know what I am talking about.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
'Dust Lady,' 9/11 survivor in iconic photo, dies at 42 - CNN.com

Many remember the haunting photograph: A woman wearing business attire and pearls is covered head-to-toe in white dust, her hands held out helplessly before her, as she makes her way out of the World Trade Center's damaged North Tower on September 11, 2001.

She survived that day, getting out before both towers of the trade center crumbled and killed 2,753 people in the deadliest terror attack on U.S. soil.
But the woman in the photos, known to most as the "Dust Lady," died Tuesday, her family said. Marcy Borders was 42.

She had been battling stomach cancer since last year
If she had lung cancer, I would not have any problem believing it was due to the dust. Stomach cancer, though - I mean she must have swallowed at least some of that dust, but, that seems like a stretch.

RIP. Sad to see her go so young, whatever the cause was.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:00 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm doubtful a single day of exposure caused her cancer. First responders worked 12 hour days for weeks on end being exposed to asbestos and other harmful particulates.

I doubt very much it was asbestos as asbestos requires inhalation not digestion. I would not be surprised if the rest of the toxic mixture caused her death but as others have stated all we can use is statistical probablities. It is not always the length of time or the strength of the exposure that causes the effects however many first responders did get sick and died. Again we only have the stats to go by.

Asbestos is unlikely in buidlings built after the mid or late 80s but the towers were up before then. It is a lot of other toxins that I think would be worse to health than asbestos.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
RIP lady. Religious extremists are ruining the world but I will save that rant for another day.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I doubt very much it was asbestos as asbestos requires inhalation not digestion. I would not be surprised if the rest of the toxic mixture caused her death but as others have stated all we can use is statistical probablities. It is not always the length of time or the strength of the exposure that causes the effects however many first responders did get sick and died. Again we only have the stats to go by.

Asbestos is unlikely in buidlings built after the mid or late 80s but the towers were up before then. It is a lot of other toxins that I think would be worse to health than asbestos.
It'd be interesting to see whether higher rates of stomach cancer correlate with stress, depression, or PTSD.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It'd be interesting to see whether higher rates of stomach cancer correlate with stress, depression, or PTSD.
That's another possibility. I think stress or substance abuse are more likely than chemicals from the day itself, but any of those 3 were caused directly by 9/11 itself anyway.

Then there's the possibility she would have gotten stomach cancer even had it not been for 9/11, but the sad thing regardless is that her last 14 years were stressful and rough because of the attacks. Between the emotional problems she suffered and the substance abuse, then the cancer - 9/11, like I said, ruined her and that is very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events