Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:11 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes. A guy with a cell-phone and a can of Arizona Iced Tea asked me for bus money once.

He didn't dig what I had to say.
Do tell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 11:14 AM

774 posts, read 745,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
Yup And those wemon who stand on streets using their kids to get money are even worse.
and the min who do that are even worse than the wemon.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:21 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Lets stop with the idea that these are all downtrodden people,that is often not the case.
No, it's quite rarely the case. But some people have been taught to believe that when 95% of things are one way and 5% are the other way, it is rational to point to examples from the 5% and claim that they disprove the very existence of the 95%. This, of course, is not rational at all.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Panhandlers often make quite a bit of untaxed income. Lets stop with the idea that these are all downtrodden people,that is often not the case.
Exactly. People say the middle class is dead. But just look for the people living on the street eating out of garbage cans. There's the American middle class right there, living the American dream.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:56 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,758,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndito View Post
ObamaPhoneâ„¢ maybe?
No, that's a lie. Obamaphones are basic cellphones, not smartphones. Anybody who claims that they saw somebody carrying an "Iphone Obamaphone" is full of crap.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:10 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I am seeing it more and more where people asking for money outside grocery stores etc... are carrying high end smart phones. I was walking into Starbucks this morning and a guy looked up from his iPhone 6 Plus (starts at $749) to ask me for some money.

Yes, I know he may have bought it when he was in better shape and has a contract on it but if you are panhandling for money you should probably ditch the $800 phone and get a go-phone or something until you are back on your feet. This particular guy had a sign about how he needs money to feed his kid. That $800 phone could buy a few meals. If you are to the point of being homeless and not being able to feed your kids you should sell it and violate your contract or whatever it takes in order to feed your kids.

I wanted to say something but no good would have come of that conversation. My thoughts are that he is most likely just panhandling to get money to pay his cell phone bill or whatever hobbies/habits he may have. He probably just wants some extra money and doesn't really have no money to feed his kids.

Anyone else notice the panhandlers with high end smart phones?
Didn't notice, but I see panhandlers all the time with sob stories. Last month there was a guy with a sign about his six-year-old daughter having cancer and was to have surgery that evening and he needed money for a bus ticket to go see her...boo hooooo. Except I've seen this same guy on other streets in the area with different stories on his cardboard.

Yesterday I gave five bucks to a guy in a wheelchair with amputated legs. You can't fake that.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,740 times
I bet she was buying beer and cigarettes too. Oh, and lobster. EBT people are always buying lobster, ain't that so?

Old 08-28-2015, 01:43 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Several years ago I witnessed a woman who had been pan handling end her day by walking down the block and getting into a Mercedes-Benz!

Old 08-28-2015, 01:49 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Hey, its a career for most of them. Some practice law; others are bank tellers or auto mechanics. Some are panhandlers. It provides a pretty good living.

And there is no shortage of gullible citizens who are afraid to say "go the salvation army" or the "homeless shelter" and they will provide everything they need. Instead, folks perpetuate the scam.

Sure...there are some who really need. it. Their entire life is usually loaded in a shopping cart, they have obvious mental or physical (not like the guy with the "missing leg" folded underneath him) challenges, and there is a very altruistic feeling associated with helping them out.

The guy with the Nike shoes, or the i-phone? Maybe no.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:53 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndito View Post
ObamaPhoneâ„¢ maybe?
Don't freakin' lie. I work with disabled people, who, more often than not, have an ObamaPhone. That Obaa phone is a bigger piece of **** than my Trac flip phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events