Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:55 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times

Advertisements

Actually, the smartphones are great for homeless people. They're basically small computers. As long as they can find free wi-fi, they can use the web to make calls, contact other people and look up needed information on the internet, even if their phone plan has run out. Libraries can provide the same thing, but they're open for limited hours and they're not as plentiful as McDonald's. If a homeless person is lucky enough to come by a smart phone, I'm not gonna judge them for it. It's probably incredibly useful. And if they have a relative or friend who will add them to their plan for $25 or so a month, that means they have a valuable lifeline, especially if they're looking for a job or public services that will help them.

I'm glad I'm not at a point in my life where I gotta look for homeless people to complain about because I need reasons to be miserable. Sure there are scammers out there, but their lives are pretty pathetic. If they were so great, we'd all be doing it. But nope, most of us are gainfully employed and working hard and enjoying the fruits of our labors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 01:59 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,382,148 times
i never give cash to panhandlers. I'll donate/volunteer at shelters/soup kitchens and tell panhandlers where these places are. If I see a person who looks like they need food, I will buy nutritional bars from the nearest store and give it to them - I do this for the homeless woman I see periodically at the train station.

103 posts, read 82,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I am seeing it more and more where people asking for money outside grocery stores etc... are carrying high end smart phones. I was walking into Starbucks this morning and a guy looked up from his iPhone 6 Plus (starts at $749) to ask me for some money.

Yes, I know he may have bought it when he was in better shape and has a contract on it but if you are panhandling for money you should probably ditch the $800 phone and get a go-phone or something until you are back on your feet. This particular guy had a sign about how he needs money to feed his kid. That $800 phone could buy a few meals. If you are to the point of being homeless and not being able to feed your kids you should sell it and violate your contract or whatever it takes in order to feed your kids.

I wanted to say something but no good would have come of that conversation. My thoughts are that he is most likely just panhandling to get money to pay his cell phone bill or whatever hobbies/habits he may have. He probably just wants some extra money and doesn't really have no money to feed his kids.

Anyone else notice the panhandlers with high end smart phones?
Americans in general have terrible spending habits.. Just take a look at the cars we drive compared to most countries in Europe and Asia.
If you venture into France, Germany, the UK, you'll find that it's not common to see a brand new car. A lot of cars are 10 years old or even as old as 15 years old. It's not that they can't afford a new car, it's just that they prefer not to lease vehicles and trade them in because it's a waste of money.
However, in the USA, people trade their cars in like it's nothing. I often see brand new cars ON THE STREETS before I even hear about it online. Just the other week, I suddenly saw tons of redesigned Nissan Rogues and I wasn't even aware that Nissan redesigned that car. The only place where I see old cars is in less wealthy areas. Almost every middle class to upper middle class neighborhood I've been in in this country has a considerable amount of new cars.

Yeah, I know that Europe has much higher taxes than us, from income tax to luxury taxes on vehicles, but you get the idea... Americans feel like they should get their hands on the newest and most recent things despite our income and bank statements telling us otherwise.

So that's why I would have absolutely no sympathy for someone that's homeless with an iPhone. Maybe if they limited their luxury spending habits, like going out to eat, getting a new phone, car, etc, then they could afford to survive while seeking employment for a bit. They could save money...
I believe you should always have enough money saved up to last you AT LEAST three months without an income. I know this is hard for some, especially with student loans, kids, etc, but if you have a brand new, unnecessarily expensive iPhone, then you can't really pull the victim card....

The iPhone 6 is no joke! That thing is expensive and it's the latest and greatest. It's not like an iPhone 4 that can be found for $60 online. The iPhone 6 is not something that I would get if I didn't have at least two or three months of money saved up to live on in case I'm suddenly unemployed.

I'll admit, I'm single and just living my life so I'm in a pretty good financial situation. My parents paid for college. I know I'm privileged when it comes to finances. But I also know that I have to live below my means if I make enough money to do so.
I can be unemployed for 14 months without changing my spending habits in terms of going out, driving, taking the subway, groceries, rent, etc. I just penny pinched like crazy as soon as I got out of college. The fact that I did paid internships also helped A LOT, too... But that's not the point here.

The point here is.... If you're homeless now but still bought a brand new expensive iPhone prior to being homeless, that means that you put luxuries over being financially stable. It's probably your fault that you're homeless. It could've possibly been prevented. Maybe the homeless person OP posted about would've been able to pay his bills for a few months despite being unemployed if he just cut back on luxury spending.
Maybe the homeless person OP posted about would also be able to afford moving to a different city or state to find employment if he cut back on luxury spending.

If I see a panhandler, I'd much rather give them a Subway or Burger King gift card than cash. You never know what the situation might be. He could've just been an idiot with his money prior to becoming unemployed. He could be fueling an expensive habit like gambling or drugs.
There's a difference between being "unemployed while spoiled", which is what OP's homeless person is, and someone who got unlucky and is simply homeless.

Last edited by crna101; 08-28-2015 at 02:14 PM..

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
You can tell the scammers by the look in their eye. They are not "homeless and hungry" if they look like they're sharp.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:04 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,382,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You can tell the scammers by the look in their eye. They are not "homeless and hungry" if they look like they're sharp.
Yes, that's true. You can tell who is desperately in need. Like the dirty, frail-looking woman at my train station pushing around a shopping cart which contains her sleeping mat, life possessions, and all the cans and half-sandwiches she pulls out from the garbage. I also have seen her sleeping under an overpass. That is a person I can buy food for. A guy on a corner with a sign and a new cell phone? No.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:08 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm glad I'm not at a point in my life where I gotta look for homeless people to complain about because I need reasons to be miserable.
Thanks Dr. Freud.

I'm glad I'm not at a point in my life where I have to look for discussion topics to complain about because I need reasons to be miserable.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:31 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Hey, its a career for most of them. Some practice law; others are bank tellers or auto mechanics. Some are panhandlers. It provides a pretty good living.
Lol, oh yes, those panhandlers makin a "good living." Upwards of $2 an hour - killin it!

Old 08-28-2015, 02:35 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Self-proclaimed professional panhandlers net $182 an hour | News - KCRA Home

Old 08-28-2015, 02:38 PM

36 posts, read 28,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
I bet she was buying beer and cigarettes too. Oh, and lobster. EBT people are always buying lobster, ain't that so?
No, scrimps. They love them some scrimps.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:46 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I am seeing it more and more where people asking for money outside grocery stores etc... are carrying high end smart phones. I was walking into Starbucks this morning and a guy looked up from his iPhone 6 Plus (starts at $749) to ask me for some money.

Yes, I know he may have bought it when he was in better shape and has a contract on it but if you are panhandling for money you should probably ditch the $800 phone and get a go-phone or something until you are back on your feet. This particular guy had a sign about how he needs money to feed his kid. That $800 phone could buy a few meals. If you are to the point of being homeless and not being able to feed your kids you should sell it and violate your contract or whatever it takes in order to feed your kids.

I wanted to say something but no good would have come of that conversation. My thoughts are that he is most likely just panhandling to get money to pay his cell phone bill or whatever hobbies/habits he may have. He probably just wants some extra money and doesn't really have no money to feed his kids.

Anyone else notice the panhandlers with high end smart phones?
Here in Portland we have thousands of homeless.

When I see a very homeless person with a smart phone (upwards to $750 + monthly service fees), smoking a cigarette (at 1 pack per day = $150/mo), a drink of some sort in their hand (be it alcoholic or not, another $150/mo or so) and with a meth mouth (street drugs are at least $400/mo) and they may make more money than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events