Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:28 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,522,024 times

Advertisements

Burning Man events will have better cell phone service so that smooth Tweets can happen.

Burning Man 2015 begins with some cell service, live tweeting, no bugs - SFGate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
That's because it got trendy. Stars go now, complete with deluxe tents with electric hookups and bodyguards. It has been close to impossible for regular people (outside the art world) to even get tickets in the recent past, you have to enter a lottery or something. Tickets are also $390 plus another $50 for a vehicle pass, so it stopped being a "hippie" type event a long time ago.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 AM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Like many things, Burning Man has become the exact opposite of what I presume the founding fathers meant it to be.

Commercialized.

Burning Man t shirts, commemorative plaques, action figures, etc. etc.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:22 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Another unique event plagued by the wannabe masses who just show up because its the "in" thing. Burning Man has been ruined.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:28 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Never heard of it until Malcom in the Middle rerun. Seems like something out of Wicker Man.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-31-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-31-2015, 11:31 AM

3,890 posts, read 4,545,888 times
When music executives saw how many people showed up for the Woodstock festival, it got their corporate wheels turning. Popular events are seen as a cash cow, so I'm not surprised.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:51 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
It's only a shadow of what it once was. You have billionaire tech moguls in private jets and executive chefs out on the playa. Allowing cell phones kind of defeats the "self reliance" part of it. There are "turn key" camps, and people leave mounds of trash all over the playa.

But never forget, yesterdays broke "hippies" grew up and entered the commercial world.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:45 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
BM has been running almost 20 years. At this point the founders/organizers have made millions of dollars and as long as they keep getting the land permit then they will make changes and try to make it a better experience.

I would love to attend but honestly I would want the RV experience. Too hot/ dirty out there to sleep in a tent for a week!

Old 09-01-2015, 06:24 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's because it got trendy. Stars go now, complete with deluxe tents with electric hookups and bodyguards. It has been close to impossible for regular people (outside the art world) to even get tickets in the recent past, you have to enter a lottery or something. Tickets are also $390 plus another $50 for a vehicle pass, so it stopped being a "hippie" type event a long time ago.
You are correct here..........Burning Man attracts Silicon Valley elite to Nevada desert - CBS News

Burning Man, after all, is a place where money is frowned upon. Almost nothing can be bought or sold. Everything must be shared. Revelers usually sleep in modest campers or tents, with tens of thousands of people covering a remote section of Nevada desert for a week of art, dancing and anything else they desire.
But the well-heeled techies anonymously cavorting with artists, musicians and other bohemians often arrive by private jets, stay in air-conditioned dwellings, eat meals prepared by gourmet chefs and employ servants called sherpas who take care of all their needs.
"Rather than going up to a bartender and saying you want a cocktail, you go up to a gentleman who is one of the sherpas," Bilton said.

Critics say that in embracing Silicon Valley's elites, Burning Man has essentially "jumped the shark." Some of them have even started competing festivals where attendees must set up their own shelters and are banned from using sherpas.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:42 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Lol, yea. I live right on the route to Black Rock. I'll tell ya, I wouldn't spend that kind of money to go hang out there with anyone. I ran into some kids , last year, who came over from Germany to go there. I guess you have to be an artist to understand the mentality behind the event. I kinda see it as a gathering of ...esoteric..minds. An event where people , who are a bit off plumb, can be "normal". Ive seen some really strange folks come through heading to Burning Man.

I actually took time out of my day to watch this girl , who was with a truly choice crew, and it HAD to be LSD or some really good sh rooms she was on, have a conversation with a signpost in the parking lot of the smoke shop. The event still draws its share of "hippy" types. I guess it did put Gerlach on the map. ' Bruno loves Burning Man. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events