Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 04:17 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,899 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter if a black person is poor or rich, allegedly guilty or innocent, cops throughout the country are out of control. They have the support of the majority knowing they will get away with excessive force or even murder.

Quote:
Former tennis great James Blake was slammed to the ground, handcuffed and detained by five plainclothes city cops Wednesday outside his midtown hotel before heading out to the U.S. Open, Blake told the Daily News.

The officers, who were all white, mistook Blake for a suspect in an identity theft ring operating around the midtown hotel.
Quote:
Asked if he considered it a case of racial profiling, Blake said, "I don't know if it's as simple as that. To me it's as simple as unnecessary police force, no matter what my race is. In my mind there's probably a race factor involved, but no matter what there's no reason for anybody to do that to anybody.

"You'd think they could say, 'Hey, we want to talk to you. We are looking into something. I was just standing there. I wasn't running. It's not even close (to be okay). It's blatantly unnecessary. You would think at some point they would get the memo that this isn't okay, but it seems that there's no stopping it
Quote:
Blake said the officer, who he said was not wearing a badge, picked him up and threw him down on the sidewalk, yelled at him to roll over on his face and said, "Don't say a word."
Quote:
"I have resources to get to the bottom of this. I have a voice," Blake said. "But what about someone who doesn't have those resources and doesn't have a voice?

The real problem is that I was tackled for no reason and that happens to a lot of people who don't have a media outlet to voice that to.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...3983?cid=bitly

The cop apologists will say it was only a mistake and that Blake was only handcuffed for a short period of time, but is this the way a civilized society is supposed to work? Is this the proper procedure to approach an alleged ID thief? Luckily for Blake, he wasn't as frail as the Indian grandfather in South Carolina that was slammed to ground for no good reason resulting in paralysis. When is America going to wake up and do something about out of control cops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events