Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times

Advertisements

Transgender Woman Says She Was Delayed by TSA for Anatomical 'Anomaly' - NBC News

"I stepped into the full body scanner, the TSA agent looked at me and pressed the F button," Petosky said in an interview with NBC News via text message. "The scanner picked up an 'anomaly' in my crotch area."

"I said, 'I'm transgender. That's my penis,'" Petosky recalled. "The TSA officer then said something like, 'If you are a man, then go back in the machine and we'll run you as a man.'"

Told by the agent that she needed to be run as a man or a woman, Petosky said she replied, "I'm transgender. I am a woman, but I have an atrophied penis, trying to make it kind of not a big deal."

According to Petosky, the TSA officer replied, "If you don't want to be run as a man, we'll have to search you. Are you a man or a woman?"

Then he asked her whether she wanted a male or female agent to search her body.

"I kind of froze. I have never been flagged in the groin before and didn't want to make a female officer touch there, but didn't want a man to do the pat down," she said.

I sympathize with her, but then again this is airport security. If she HAS to be run through as either a male or female because the scanner knows what to look for for each gender and will pick up anomalies, then it seems simple to me. You still have a penis, by the machine you are considered a male. Black and white, yes, but airport security SHOULD be black and white. For all they know, that "anomaly" on that "woman" is a bomb. They're just trying to stop another plane from flying into a building or exploding, even though sometimes they seriously fail at their jobs.

Maybe she should have just let them run her through as a man. It didn't have to be a big scene, no one would have had to know, and she would have made her flight.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:34 AM

17,207 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Oh geez... During pat downs, cops and security agents do pat our groin areas. If this man/woman/trans/w/e has a penis, then she/he needs to get a pat-down just like any man would. Shut up, comply, and understand why it is that they do this.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:36 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
Not TSA's fault that he/she was born screwed up.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:41 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
I don't want this to turn into an "attack transgenderism" thread. I want it to be a "transgendered people need to understand their unique situation and not cry about important issues like airport security" thread. I want it to be a discussion on the logistics of this circumstance, and a genuine look at who is really in the wrong and what should change. IMHO, she's wrong and nothing should change because you can't let your guard down with airport security.

Fact is, there are two genders and they are based off science, and the machine recognizes this. There is no button for a transgendered person, nor should there be. The machine only cares if you're carrying around illegal items, not if you have a penis or not. If you have a penis but identify as a woman, all the machine cares about is if you have that penis. Quietly tell the TSA agent you are a transgendered person, "I identify as a female but for the sake of the machine, please put me through as a male anyway as I have a penis and it will show up on the scanner." This is a reasonable request. If you are made fun of or it turns into a big scene, then that's a violation of one's rights, IMO. But only if the TSA agent acts inappropriately knowing that information. Otherwise, it seems logical to me to do that.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:56 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
I was hoping for some new outrage today. Now I am sure the TSA will have to spend billions on transgender specific scanners. Now, color me old fashioned, but penis = man.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:01 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Just another confused dude wanting to play drama queen. Why was it necessary for him to tweet the entire experience as it unfolded other than to get attention?

Old 09-22-2015, 12:02 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Why in the hell is it so hard for some to figure out?? Simply. if you have a penis you are a male. If you have a vagina you are a female. Perhaps the TSA should hold an anatomy class for dummies before the search so that they know what to choose when at the search site. DAMN!!!

Old 09-22-2015, 12:06 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
"A transgender woman says she was delayed by TSA workers at Orlando International Airport who thought her body parts didn't match her gender identity."

TSA workers THOUGHT her body parts didn't match her gender identity? Uh no, they just observed that the "she" had a penis. They didn't "think" anything.

Poor thing was delayed. All "she" had to do was agree to be scanned as a male. Until that pesky penis is removed it is a sacrifice "she" is going to have to make in order not to be delayed.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:06 PM

233 posts, read 250,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Not TSA's fault that he/she was born screwed up.
Exactly. While I generally despise the TSA dolts, this "person" is a freak and should expect others to be just as gender confused as they are as to what the heck "it" is...male or female.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:07 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times
I have zero sympathy for the..the...she/man. Public safety trumps her sensitivities and confusion about private parts. When she enters the device as a female, and the device notices something that doesn't belong, ....well, out she comes for a physical inspection! I don't care that she doesn't like it. Lives are at stake. That diva should be banned from all airports for six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events