Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:11 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,498,853 times

Advertisements

There's nothing tastier than Hillshire Beef Sausage. I roast or grill it once or twice a month. They have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 06:37 PM

5,867 posts, read 3,314,300 times
Personally I try to eat healthy. Morning yogurt and a powdered protein shake. Lunch a salad with some chicken. Dinner some chicken or meat with broccoli and other vegetables. Before bed another protein shake. 1 hour of working out a day 40 minutes cardio plus 20 minutes weights. Plus I walk the dogs around 4 miles per day. Blood work is perfect. Have to collect that pension for 40 years lol!!!!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,108,794 times
World Health Organization issues report that processed meat, PORK, BACON, HAM will kill you. Can we have the names of the people writing the report and from which country they reside?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,990,151 times
good thing i have a bad jaw that prevents me from eating steak.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:27 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,423,706 times
Riskier to drive in a small car. Without context this is nothing. 34k deaths a year globally? Nothing. 20% of nothing is nothing.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:33 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,992,985 times
Let them eat bacon and hot dogs!

If more people die young the less social security and Medicare payments we will have to make in the future

Processed meats are nasty. They are just a bunch of scraps mixed with chemicals. Eww.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:52 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,819,016 times
Don't eat anything. Oh wait you can't do that either because you're going to starve. I guess just eat rice cakes and tofu..what an interesting diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Every day it's something else causing cancer, heart disease, etc. Listen to the ads on TV for medicines and you wouldn't take any of them. One day coffee is good for you , the next day it will kill you. Stop already! People are living longer and longer, hell somethings gonna kill us!
I'm against medication and avoid it when I can but you're right. I even read not too long ago that using your phone could give you cancer due to the radiation.
It's so ridiculous. I have thanatophobia and hypochondria so I worry about my health enough without thinking about whether I should give up meats. I just trust my own mind nowadays on whether I should listen to my fear or not.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:54 PM

6,245 posts, read 3,629,581 times
Well we just had the headline about human DNA in hot dogs, so maybe people with cancer are falling into vats at the meat processing plant.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:34 AM

16,580 posts, read 19,788,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Maybe people who eat hot dogs and processed food of any kind get cancer more often than those of us who take the time to cook real, unprocessed food (workout, keep our weight in a normal range, etc) is because they don't give a care about their health.
That's actually a good point. Maybe a bit harsh "don't give a crap" but just leading a different life style.

We just lost a co-worker about 6 months ago to a very aggressive cancer. The most god fearing woman I've ever known. Traveled to Nepal from Cleveland 3 times to help the poor there in God's name.
She was also a vegan for over 30 years.

Nothing can save you. Enjoy your life.

(Miss you, Mary)

Old 10-27-2015, 07:37 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,423,706 times
One of the potential issues with a study like this is life expectancy's impact on your likelihood to get cancer. How was this accounted for? In nations where they eat little processed foods and red meat a huge portion of those populations and the worlds population as a whole dont because they cannot afford the products. They are also more likely to die young and as a result not get cancer they would have otherwise gotten.

Of course I do think it is wise to limit red meat and heavily processed foods but it is similarly important to avoid driving in a small car. You are over 20% more likely to die in a midsize car than a mid size SUV in the US and the number of annual deaths per capita is FAR higher for vehicle deaths. 34k deaths a year caused by these foods globally is a statistical blip. 32k people a year died in car crashes in the US last year. So the impact of changing the vehicle is far more impact than changing what you eat.

Moral of the story, drive a big suv apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events