Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the teacher went too far by saying God is a myth?
Yes, she took it too far .... 82 68.33%
No, she acted reasonable in front of the class... 38 31.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:42 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
ocnjgirl, you keep getting so hung up on the fact that you believe the teacher was correct in her answer to this question. That is not the issue here. Some people are debating it, yes, but it's useless because it's totally irrelevant. What was the correct answer does not matter; it's not the problem. The problem is the example the teacher used. We don't care, and neither does the district apparently, that technically her answer was probably correct. We don't care. We care that she used God as an example and forced her students to choose an answer asking about the validity of the belief in God, AND that she declared that there IS a correct answer regarding a belief in God. THAT is the issue. Asking about the belief in God or any religion is supposed to be forbidden in public schools because they are supposed to be 100% secular. Even if she would up saying "actually this question has no right answer and you are all free to believe what you want about God," that would STILL not be okay because she STILL brought up the belief in God in the first place. You cannot touch this subject in a public school. If you do, you will probably be disciplined for it and you are unequivocally wrong, even if your answer was right.

I don't know how many times it has to be said.
I said in many threads it wasn't the best example to use, and clearly she shouldn't have used it. But I also maintain its not a big deal and people are getting their panties in a wad for nothing. Many posters seem to feel she insulted them or denigrated their religion, they assume she herself doesn't believe, and I dispute all of that. We have no idea of her personal beliefs but many insist we do.

I also don't see that she asked about the student's beliefs or whether they believe in God, but you again are saying that. She asked if they know the difference between a fact, opinion and common assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 11:53 AM

185 posts, read 184,867 times
So, does that mean that praying before a big test might not help? Pray anyways, lol. Study too.

I'm not exactly Miss Religious. I'm really quite the evidence-based type. But, this is a strange world. You can't discount that there isn't something spiritual going on.

In 15 minutes this story won't matter.

I myself, like the whole separation of church and state stuff that the U.S. established way back in the beginning. Lots of people vacated Europe to be free to live their life according to their beliefs. That's how it should be, unless such beliefs infringe upon other people.

Maybe the class could have had an open minded discussion?

Better yet, precious class time should be focused on something with real world value. Would you want to discuss the God questions all day long, or learn something that really helps the world progress? It's evident to me that science and technology is our miracle maker. However we find the answers to solve life problems, I have no idea. Maybe it comes from a god, or something? Its really not easy to be religious once you have been around the world. Go to the Far East. The belief system is radically different. Maybe all of these believers experience some kind of epic placebo effect? I have no idea. It is very interesting. LOL, I'm just free writing whatever here with no direction to any point, lol.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:53 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I said in many threads it wasn't the best example to use, and clearly she shouldn't have used it. But I also maintain its not a big deal and people are getting their panties in a wad for nothing. Many posters seem to feel she insulted them or denigrated their religion, they assume she herself doesn't believe, and I dispute all of that. We have no idea of her personal beliefs but many insist we do.

I also don't see that she asked about the student's beliefs or whether they believe in God, but you again are saying that. She asked if they know the difference between a fact, opinion and common assertion.
LOL … You still don't *get*it* and you don't get that it IS a "big deal" precisely because what the teacher did was FAR over the First Amendment line …

ponder: Why did the very wise Founders go out of their way to to make that one the FIRST Amendment … ???
(Maybe because, then and now, it IS a "big deal" … ???) ...

Old 11-06-2015, 11:58 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
The definition of common assertion nor any other word doesn't change from the "hood" to the suburbs, wth are you talking about? If you are trying to tell me btw that the black community is not religious as a rule, I think you are mistaken and I don't care if you live there or not.
It's only a "common assertion" that there is such a thing as "the black community."

Old 11-06-2015, 12:02 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

It's only a "common assertion" that there is such a thing as "the black community."
(In FACT, "they" are actually various shades of "brown" … I'm not making that up …)

Old 11-06-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Christmas is never a "God thing" in schools, btw, because it CAN'T be - just like this question CANNOT be asked regardless of the irrelevant right answer. Schools have to remain neutral when it comes to religions. That doesn't mean we can't call what is actually Christmas break "Christmas break" though rather than "holiday break" or winter break" but that is another issue...
In basic agreement. How long has it been said "never discuss politics or religion in polite society?" I can't imagine how a public school teacher is such an ingénue that she thinks it's safe to bring "God" into any lesson not intended to be about God? What rock has she been living under?

Old 11-06-2015, 12:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
I said in many threads it wasn't the best example to use, and clearly she shouldn't have used it.
It certainly wasn't. And this is where the discussion should end.

Quote:
But I also maintain its not a big deal and people are getting their panties in a wad for nothing. Many posters seem to feel she insulted them or denigrated their religion, they assume she herself doesn't believe, and I dispute all of that. We have no idea of her personal beliefs but many insist we do.
I don't think, personally, that she insulted or denigrated any religion, and I don't care whether or not SHE believes. Her personal beliefs, like the correct answer, are irrelevant. The single issue is the example she used. There is no need to bring God into it. That is a sensitive, very personal and controversial topic, we all know this, and schools are not supposed to even pose a question or prompt on such a thing.

Quote:
To write a question or prompt that says (this is taken from here) ""There is no God": A. Fact, B. Opinion, or C. Common Assertion", is essentially asking a kid about their OWN beliefs in God or a particular religion. It doesn't have to explicitly ask "do you believe in God?" to touch on that belief. This isn't a question like "fact, opinion, or common assertion: "the sun is x miles away from Earth"" or "President Obama is a far left liberal Democrat" or something, this is a question regarding a personal belief system. And that does not belong in a classroom. Anything that asks, even innocently, about a religion or faith or individual's personal belief is not supposed to be discussed. There are common assertion questions she could have used that did not involve a personal belief system. The involvement of a personal belief system is the single issue here. She even could have used Christianity in an objective way, like stating a fact about Christianity, like "Christians celebrate December 25 as Jesus' birthday" (fact), but asking to label the prompt "There is no God" is just not okay.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
(In FACT, "they" are actually various shades of "brown" … I'm not making that up …)
And not necessarily a "community." Certainly not "the" community.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
She even could have used Christianity in an objective way, like stating a fact about Christianity, like "Christians celebrate December 25 as Jesus' birthday" (fact), but asking to label the prompt "There is no God" is just not okay.
I keep making the point that "facts" are usually slippery things.

A whole wing of Christianity does not celebrate December 25 as Jesus' birthday--Eastern Orthodox (millions of Christians whose tradition hails from old Constantinople rather than Rome) observe Jesus' birthday on what we would call January 7 because they use the Julian calendar rather than the Gregorian calendar.

On the Julian calendar, "December 25" falls on January 7 of the Gregorian calendar. So depending on one's basis for calculating dates, two people may not agree for a fact what day it is.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I keep making the point that "facts" are usually slippery things.

A whole wing of Christianity does not celebrate December 25 as Jesus' birthday--Eastern Orthodox (millions of Christians whose tradition hails from old Constantinople rather than Rome) observe Jesus' birthday on what we would call January 7 because they use the Julian calendar rather than the Gregorian calendar.

On the Julian calendar, "December 25" falls on January 7 of the Gregorian calendar. So depending on one's basis for calculating dates, one cannot even say for a fact what day it is.
Okay, so then it could have been even more specific than what I put, but my point still stands about using an objective statement. Or maybe then in that case the answer would instead be "common assertion," but there is a difference between saying "Most Christians believe or celebrate (this)," a very specific prompt about a specific group and using a word like "most", and saying "There is no God," which is broad and does not touch on any religion at all, just an individual belief that varies, don't you think? That was my point.

I mean, I would avoid religion all together in an assignment like this... but I think there are some examples regarding religion that would be acceptable, as teaching about major religions is also acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events