Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
According to this, one in three people have been arrested by the time they are 23 and between 70 and 100 million have some type of criminal record.
http://www.sentencingproject.org/doc..._profile_1.pdf Which basically means that if the unemployment rate keeps dropping, all of a sudden employers will start thinking that maybe it's not such a bad idea to hire someone with a criminal record
More than 40 percent of ex-cons commit crimes within three years of their release and wind up back behind bars. I don't have the details as to why. As I'm typing on the news is this story, abuse of the elderly in nursing homes by ex con employees. One beaten and one stolen from over the course of a year.
Peoria assisted living caregiver DeShawna Raye admits to stealing money, jewelry from residents - ABC15 Arizona
You're not going to like this but the jerks reporting the story suggest not to put your loved ones into group or nursing homes that hire ex convicts.

The guy who beat the guy is still at large. Both have previous convictions, one for previous theft and the other disorderly conduct. Lucky they're getting rid of the box. The poor guy might not get another job.

If only we didn't have televisions, they'd have a better chance. The thief did have her story to tell, she needed money to feed her kids so she took it from the old lady who she thought wouldn't notice. The son who left money for his mom noticed as it was a credit card with obviously easy tracking. But, she did already have a job. Maybe we shouldn't require proof of a higher education so everyone can get better paying jobs.

The whole news story wreaks of coggieness to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 11:59 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
More than 40 percent of ex-cons commit crimes within three years of their release and wind up back behind bars. .
If you drill down through the numbers you will find that some states like California have very high recidivism 50-60%. While others like Arizona and Nevada have recidivism in the low teens to low twenties. If you compare those three states you come up with some interesting differences. In California prisons, inmates are released with $200 and a bus ticket back to the streets of where ever they lived when they were arrested. They aren't even issued an ID card. In Arizona and Nevada inmates are not released until they have a parole plan, which means a place to live and a means of support. If they can't come up with those things, they are placed in a halfway house and parole finds them a job. In California parole is supervision that is ordered after an inmate serves their full sentence, so basically when they reach their release date they have to be released no matter how bad their behavior was in prison. In the two other states I mentioned, parole is a conditional release, only inmates who behave and participate in educational and vocational programs are given early conditional releases. If they violate their parole they return to prison to finish their original sentence.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you drill down through the numbers you will find that some states like California have very high recidivism 50-60%. While others like Arizona and Nevada have recidivism in the low teens to low twenties. If you compare those three states you come up with some interesting differences. In California prisons, inmates are released with $200 and a bus ticket back to the streets of where ever they lived when they were arrested. They aren't even issued an ID card. In Arizona and Nevada inmates are not released until they have a parole plan, which means a place to live and a means of support. If they can't come up with those things, they are placed in a halfway house and parole finds them a job. In California parole is supervision that is ordered after an inmate serves their full sentence, so basically when they reach their release date they have to be released no matter how bad their behavior was in prison. In the two other states I mentioned, parole is a conditional release, only inmates who behave and participate in educational and vocational programs are given early conditional releases. If they violate their parole they return to prison to finish their original sentence.
Yep, and the average of all those numbers is about 40%. Those ex cons were employed in Arizona. So, about 40% of ex cons will re offend and end up back in prison, job or no job, on average.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Sorry, it's the ol' cog again. My guys drive and I can't get auto insurance for them if they don't pass a drug test. Reality sometimes trumps empathy. It's not about if I think they will give me an honest days work or not. It's about being able to keep the business I've spent years creating. Even though it's a small business, I still have to adhere to the law. I guess you'd like it if I folded, couldn't feed my children and stood in the welfare line for a while.

It doesn't seem about making sure Americans have a job, seems more like a personal crusade to make sure ex cons are employed. I can't help you with that but, you've got president Obama on your side. Tell him to talk to the auto insurance agency about requiring that drug test for drivers. My hands are tied.
The difference between a drug test for a driving job and the rest of what most are advocating and up in arms about is that a drug test insures against/prevents someone who's currently doing something illegal from getting behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle.

It doesn't further punish them after they've paid their prescribed debt to society.
See the difference?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Actually since you asked......One of my kids will have a hard time getting employment because he has a handicap that is made fun of, looked down on and not easily accepted by society. He can't fly on a plane, go to school because he gets the crap beat out of him for being different by innocent pre criminals.

My brother is an ex con, held someone up at gun point. He got his college degree and now, regardless of how difficult the job search was, has a good job from it. He doesn't work with money, nor does he service the public. He knew holding a public job wouldn't be on his job wishlist.
He never bawled like a baby about the difficulty, he knew his actions would bring it. He also knew he wouldn't be trusted, and he knew his victims would have a hard time trusting others because of his actions. There are ex cons out there that realize their payment to society doesn't end at the exit door in jail. Earning trust from society can be difficult. Thankfully there are a plethora of programs to help.

Sometimes the payment for betraying your fellow man is more than just the jail time. That holds true for victims as well. Memories last a long time, you can't swipe those away by removing a box from a piece of paper. People fear criminals, because some of you have a bad reputation for harming others. I think you expect a lot of people, some they just can't deliver to you.

Have you ever been the victim of a crime? Have you ever committed a crime? Own a business? What qualifies your belittling opinion? Since you asked...

I am always one step away from losing my business most small businessmen are, which is one reason I make sure to bust my ass. Yes, life is hard. I can't afford stupid mistakes, I have mouths to feed.
To answer your questions, Yes,Yes and Yes. So in summary, I've actually got the experience to know from whence I speak.
As an example, let's take someone who's had a felony DUI that hurt/maimed/killed someone. That person has been clean and sober for 10 years since getting out of jail. Or, how about that young man who got into a fight and accidentally (with one hit) killed the person he was fighting? He's not fought before nor has he ever hurt anyone before or since. He's got a felony manslaughter record.

Should he/she be denied employment because of one bad mistake?

How about that young woman who stole to eat or to feed a child? Should that person be banned from employment forever more just for trying to survive?

Background checks don't tell you the WHOLE story. All they tell you is what that person was convicted of not who they really were/are nor why they were charged to begin with nor who they've become since. TIME since any crime should be the big consideration when it comes to EX criminals who are otherwise qualified to do any job.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Yep, and the average of all those numbers is about 40%. Those ex cons were employed in Arizona. So, about 40% of ex cons will re offend and end up back in prison, job or no job, on average.
You are aware how easy it is to get a charge of Disorderly Conduct in AZ right? I've known many here (in AZ) that have that charge and NONE of them would be considered criminals except by someone who enforces thousands of minor laws for profit.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 AM

6,791 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Indeed RomulusXXV, it's my new favorite word. I've been calling my poor husband Mr. Cog all night long. lol
I get your point, I really do and after all is said and done, and after many tears about my cogginess, I've decided cogs are working parts of a system, we are useful in some respect. Long live the Cogs of Society! It's better than being a clog.

I give in, I'll just do background checks. But I'm sticking to my new Cog title, it's growing on me.
Glad to have been of help.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You are aware how easy it is to get a charge of Disorderly Conduct in AZ right? I've known many here (in AZ) that have that charge and NONE of them would be considered criminals except by someone who enforces thousands of minor laws for profit.
Well looks like his was easy to get because he abuses others. He beat up an elderly man, how lame can you be. Where is the fair fight there? It is what it is.

I won't even argue the box. I'll just wait and see how it all plays out. I think I've stated all I have on the subject. If it goes, it goes. I just think some jobs are better than others when it comes to hiring them. For example, I don't think nursing homes are a good idea if your prior was violent or theft.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:45 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Who was it that just assumed that those convicted of previous offenses MUST SURELY commit these offenses again? How many previously convicted people have served their time in prison, been released and have never re-offended? Is anyone EVEN INTERESTED to know that there would be millions of such people in society?
The problem is that many of the people in this thread have no sense of fairness. And it is possible to be tough on crime and also fair.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:50 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
And 60% won't. So hey, let's be unfair to them.

Part of the issue, IMHO, is that in some states -- like California -- there is probably a higher rate of gang members incarcerated, which is why I think it is a mistake to group all cons in one group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events